Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Scar tissue after Knee replacement  (Read 11360 times)

Offline hendeSt1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Scar tissue after Knee replacement
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
I had a total knee replacement about 3 years ago. About 5 weeks into therapy I had to go back to the hospital for a manipulation due the scar tissue which was binding the movement of my knee. Since then I finished therapy (1 yr.) and went back to the gym for strength and flexibility work. I saw he surgeon last week because I still have pain in the knee and my mobility has not improved. He said I have scar tissue built up around the joint and thats as good as it gets. It is starting to affect my hip because I am limping on a shorter stride because I cannot extend my leg all the way. He stated that I am getting older and that sort of thing happens.
   Is there any procedure out there that can remove/ improve the scar tissue in the knee? Thanks in advance. Steve

Offline everett

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Scar tissue after Knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »
Hi Steve, reading your post on scar tissue.I had surgery 3 years ago and i am still fighting with it.I was diagnosed as having arthrofibrosis and have had 4 sugeries to date. They removed all parts and within weeks it was back to were it was.I now have stiff leg can't bend at all.They also did 2 manipulations and they worked until scar tissue built up again.This week i am going for a hip replacement and my biggest fear is scar tissue in hip after sugery.Then within the next two months they are putting in a hinge knee to get bend in my knee.The likelihood of it working is not great.But the big thing is and this is the moral to all this is to remain positive and have faith in your doctor.If you don't then suggest a second opinion.Good luck to you.

Offline deewhar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Scar tissue after Knee replacement
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:38:45 PM »
I had a total knee replacement about 3 years ago. About 5 weeks into therapy I had to go back to the hospital for a manipulation due the scar tissue which was binding the movement of my knee. Since then I finished therapy (1 yr.) and went back to the gym for strength and flexibility work. I saw he surgeon last week because I still have pain in the knee and my mobility has not improved. He said I have scar tissue built up around the joint and thats as good as it gets. It is starting to affect my hip because I am limping on a shorter stride because I cannot extend my leg all the way. He stated that I am getting older and that sort of thing happens.
   Is there any procedure out there that can remove/ improve the scar tissue in the knee? Thanks in advance. Steve
Hi, I wanted to let you know that you could see if your Dr would consider doing a arthoscopic debridement? I had a lot of scar tissue that was actually pulling my knee cap down and the debridement helped a great deal. It was a pretty short recovery after surgery.