Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 weeks post op prox/distal realignment and VMO ad  (Read 4934 times)

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
3 weeks post op prox/distal realignment and VMO ad
« on: August 02, 2003, 05:42:00 AM »
Hey everyone.  
Just wanted to write and let you all know how I am doing.  I seem to have lost maybe 10 degrees of ROM in the past couple days.  Hopeing to get it back to 115- My doctor told me if it isn't at 115 at my next post-op (Tues. Aug 5) he will put me under to bend it himself.  So, needless to say, I am really working my butt off now.

I think the majority of soft tissue is healed, or almost healed.  I don't have much pain in the muscles anymore.  Also, I have been able to do a straight leg raise now for almost a week- everyday doing SLR's hurts less and less.  As for the bone, that pretty much hurts like hell most of the time.  But, all in all, except for the day after surgery and trying to regain ROM, this hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought.  I guess 8 years of pain got me used to it.

My incision is healing pretty well.  Still bleeding every once in a while, so I change the steri-strips every 4 days.  Swelling is pretty good- but then again, I rarely leave the house, and when I do, it gets huge.  I pretty much and stuck at my apartment with my dog working (some) from home... my parents are holding my car hostage at their house 40 miles away because they know I would figure out some way to drive it if it were in my parking lot.    ;D

I started getting some sharp subcutaneous pain that shoots across the knee.  Im guessing that is nerves regenerating.  

Mentally- I am bored.  BORED BORED BORED.  Isn't it amazing how relaxing it is to watch TV after a long day of work?  I now think the TV is evil- and that doesn't even keep my attention.  So, I work on training my puppy:)

I hope all is well with everyone!!!!  Can you believe its AUGUST?  Time flies when you are having fun  :P ;D ::)

Take care, Mel

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: 3 weeks post op prox/distal realignment and VM
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 09:27:00 PM »
Hey Mel....

sounds like mostly good news for you--that bend thing got my attention--but I'd give anything for 100 right now--let alone 115.  This manipulation thing is a scary concept, but many others on this board have reassured me that it isn't so bad...

As for being bored--my attention span is so short right now--pain seems to dictate how long I can stay at anything.  I am not caring much for not being able to get lost in a book or handiwork or anything.  So, I do exercises on this wayward knee between pain meds, brief naps, eating, and playing with my kids...I am finding more pleasure in music than the tv.

I hope that you continue to get better sand that that 115 comes easily for you.

Hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2003, 02:41:00 AM »
Hi Mel,
Glad to hear things are going good for you. I always like to hear about success stories. Hope your work pays off and you get that ROM you're looking for.

When I was a little less moblie I spent my time reading or watching sports. It always makes the time go by fast as you watch the season progress. Good luck in your continuing recovery. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 09:02:37 AM »
Hey there- just wanted to update everyone.
I had another post-op visit today.  4 hour drive to the dr. and then the 4 hour drive home- ugh.
Anyhow, it went GREAT!  my doctor said I am one of the quickest recoveries he has ever seen.  my knee decided that it did want to bend to the 115 degrees it had to be at, or else a manipulation.  My brace hinges were unlocked to allow full ROM and I am now allowed to weight bear as tolerated.  I have also been given the green light to drive, also as tolerated. All in all, it was a great visit, with great news:)
I hope everyone is doing well!!!!!

Mel

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 04:43:42 PM »
HOORAY!!!

Good for you--good news is such a wonderful thing.  Thanks for sharing such a positive report and outcome.  I'm happy for you!

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Erin

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 10:06:33 PM »
Hey Mel, its great that you are gonig so well, its always good for the OS to tell you your a quick healer :) Thanks for posting such a positive message
~Erin
7 years left knee pain/popping/giving out
10-20-00 L.knee surgery to tighten knee cap
2 years of right knee pain
9-13-02 Sprained right ankle
6-9-03 Brostrom-gould surgery on right ankle

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 10:43:30 PM »
Mel-

Congrats on the GREAT checkup!!!!  It is wonderful to hear that you are making excellent progress.

Hope everything keeps progressing for you.

-Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 08:28:49 AM »
Hey all.  
Lets see- where to start.  Tomorrow I have to attempt to take my car to get one of my tires checked, since it went flat while I was away for surgery, and it is in the process of getting flatter.  LOL.  Nothing like paying to get a tire fixed when you are unable to get around yourself, let alone with a car.
I am almost 5 weeks.  The pain has been acting up with no help from any NSAIDs/Advil.  I called the dr on Friday morning  to leave a message for a refill for a pain med- it wasn't called in- so it has been a long 4 days.  

My best friend came to visit on Thursday, so I have had some much needed company.  However, its great to hav them, but also good to see them go, you know?  It is a zoo in my house right now.  Me, my dog, her, and her dog.  Not exactly the R and R I could use right about now.

So we decided today to take a scenic drive to the "mountains".  We thought it would be nice to get out of the car, so we stopped in a tiny, tiny town to grab a bite.  All was well until (this is hard to explain- but you all know what I am talking about).  I was walking with my crutches, in my brace, and "stubbed" my toe/ shoe on an uneven sidewalk.  It forced the leginto QUITE the bend- with foul language (LOUD too!!) to boot in the midst of small town USA.  So, now I am REALLY hurting, and praying all is well in the knee.  It really stinks not being graceful.   ::)

I am getting worn out of hearing strangers  say "oh, I bet that hurts"  when they see me walking around.  Um yeah, moron, it does.  We walked- well, she walked, I hobbled - into my favorite bar/restaraunt on Thursday night.  Every soul in the place stopped to stare.  Good lord.  What do they do when they see someone with problems other than crutches.  Finally,  a guy rolled in in a wheelchair so then they all stared at him.  I decided that was just as rude, so I did get up and approach a small group of middle age men and told them to "put their eyes back in their heads and to be thankful that they have legs that work, though their brain doesn't."

Okay, I'm done for now:)  Had to get that off my chest since I am sure everyone here knowsjust what I am talking about.

I hope everyone is well:)

take care,
Mel

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 10:15:22 AM »
Mel,
 That is a great story.... I am glad that you said something! I am so glad to hear that things are going good for you and your recovery... I am planning that TTT next month and the thought of not driving for that long is so painful,talk about loosing your freedom! I just hope my recovery is as good as your sounds to be going. I hope all things stay positive for you....Jillian :D
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 03:51:38 PM »
{{{{{{Mel}}}}}}

You are right, we have all been on the receiving end of some comment that didn't sit quite right--and there are times that those can be hurtful as well.

I'm sorry to hear that that sidewalk attacked you--hopefully, you will get over being sore quickly and get back on that road to recovery that you have been traveling so well.

Take care--I'm thinking of you...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 06:57:15 PM »
Boy does that  storey sond familiar! I've got an external fixator bolted to my leg and not only do people stare, they sometimes comment. Usually they say things like,"  Boy, I bet that hurts." Talk about rude! I would never stare or comment on another persons problems.

One women kind of pushed past me in the grocery store when I was getting dog food and said," Don't mind me I'm rude to everyone." Usually I hide my fixator with a leg cut off of a pair of sweat pants. Even when it's hot it is better than the comments I get.

But anyway, I'm glad you got good news. Heres hoping you continue to have a successful and speedy recovery. Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Erin

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 12:12:22 AM »
Hey Mel,
Im glad you spoke up. There were so many times this past summer people would always want to talk or comment about my foot being in a cast and crutches, and theyd say things like, "boy your summer must suck" WEll YEA it does, and you didnt need to make it suck more. You really wonder why people stare and even talk to you.
Hopefully your little accident didnt do anything, and will be back on the road to recovery.
good luck
Erin
7 years left knee pain/popping/giving out
10-20-00 L.knee surgery to tighten knee cap
2 years of right knee pain
9-13-02 Sprained right ankle
6-9-03 Brostrom-gould surgery on right ankle

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 07:51:40 PM »
Actually, it doesn't bother me if people say something like "I bet that hurts." I'd rather have that than the staring. At least if they say something, I can agree that it hurts and the conversation is over. But Mel, if it made you feel better to give those guys a piece of your mind, I'm glad you went for it! Whatever it takes to get through the days, huh?

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.