Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: tibia and fibula fractures following many years of knee problems  (Read 1601 times)

Offline janemclaren

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Over the years I have had many procedures on both my knees - scopes to clean out the knees, tibial tubreosity transfers and many more.  Five years ago I had partial knee replacements which improved some of the pain but left me with chronic pain from what is thought to be soft tissue damage.  All was going reasonably well until last week I fell when, after a simple slip on the kitchen floor, I fractured both my left tibia and fibula, seemingly about 1.5ins below the knee.   The fracture went straight through the screw hole from my tibial tuberosity transfer.  My surgeon said that my injuries were more in keeping with having been hit by a car doing about forty miles an hour.

Has this happened to anyone else?  Can anyone tell me about recovery times or give me any advice regarding a quick recovery.  As I have had a tibial tuberosity transfer on my right knee as well, I am obviously worried about the repercussions of having another fall.

I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Jane McLaren

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: tibia and fibula fractures following many years of knee problems
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »
Hi Jane

Sorry to hear about your the tib-fib fracture. I have the opposite problem of you, I broke my tib fib in 4 places which started my knee problems . I broke the fibula in 2 places, one fracture near the knee was a non displaced comminuted fracture and the other was a displaced lateral ankle fracture. The tibia had 2 displaced distal fractures. I had closed reduction and put in a full leg cast for 3.5 weeks then had a tibial nail and ankle plated. I had a malunion of the tibia with a 40 degree exteranl rotation, so 7 mos later had to have my tib fib surgically rebroken to straighten the leg, The hardware was all removed and the tibia was plated with 2 plates. It took about 4 mos to show healing and about 9 mos to be fully healed. My extensive knee problem began by developing arthrofibrosis in the knee, from the tibia nailing.

What did your OS do for your fractures ? Everyone heals at a different rate and type and placement of fracture(s) plays a part in how long healing takes.

There is a great website for broken legs at  www.mybrokenleg.com   Click on the discussion section. It is free, but you will have to register if you want to post. I've posted there for several yrs and wish I had known about them when I first broke my leg back in 2000

Pam
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 08:13:50 PM by missmyknee »
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline janemclaren

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »
Hi Pam
Thank you so much for getting back to me.  Sorry for not getting back to you soon but had a bad day yesterday - just fed up!!!

It would appear I had a tibia nailing and a "Peri-loc" plate and screws inserted as well as some bone powder to help promote new bone growth - if that makes sense.  I am in a hinged plaster cast to try to maintain as much movement in my knee as possible. Prior to all this I had been having problems with my other knee - pain on full weight bearing.  I have had many ops on that knee also so it isn't as strong as I would like and this is causing problems with getting mobile again but it's early days and I will persevere. Pain is definately lessening - that is a plus at least!

Thank you for your recommendation to www.mybrokenleg.com, excellent site with lots of info in laymans language!

How is your knee now?  I really hope things work out for you.

Jane

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:23:35 PM »
Hi Jane

Is all the hardware on the tibia ? If so,  how did the OS handle the fibula fracture?  It's bad enough having knee problems esp  with 2 knees. But having a BL and using a bad leg/knee to compensate for the BL is a very painful situation. Make sure you keep your knee and the kneecap/patella mobile ( if your OS allows this).  My whole knee problem began with the surgical procedure for nailing which was thru my patella tendon and being immobilized for a total of 5 1/2 weeks, quad atrophy and no PT for 7 weeks.. I'll give you a link to read my story I posted in my blog on the Community Hub. Click on the end of the link

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/185

I've been dealing with this since Aug 2000. It's very hard dealing with arthrofibrosis. Another forum poster to KNEEguru and My Broken Leg (MBL) is a gal named Dynamite. She has almost the same story as me.  She posts on both websites

I hope you go on to heal from your broken leg and your knees survive without suffering too much.

Pam ;D
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA