Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Success story  (Read 3994 times)

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
Success story
« on: May 30, 2008, 04:48:02 AM »
Hello all,

I have waited to post this, but I feel the time is right. When you read my signature you will see why. I am approacing the 3 year mark of my femoral osteotomy. I am doing great. ;D I did choose to change my life and go to school at a later age of life with 2 boys to raise. They are also doing great. I graduated my Surgical Tech program at the top of my class, big surprise :o I wanted to work in Ortho, but landed in Labor and Delivery. I have found my calling. I deliver babies, how cool is that.

Yes I have days that my knee talks to me, and I am wearing a neoprene on the unoperatered knee, but when there is Stat C-Section I do run down the hall. It may not be that pretty but works.

I believe that sometimes things happen for a reason. If I did not have a bum knee I would have never woke up and changed my life. It was very hard. I was NWB for 4 months lost a job of 11 years and had my older son move 3000 miles away. I went to school, and found out about the real poverty level. I lost my car and almost lost my house.

On the flip side I have met some of the most amazing people here. Patty, Nettan, Rozzz, Tiff, and Liz. These remarkable women have been with me every step of my jouney. I think they were the original Weather Girls along with Shade. I miss that thread

Embrace the challenge and the opportunity of the life changes after knees issues and it is not all bad, maybe just different than what you ever expected

Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline Quinkin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
    • Turramulli the Giant Quinkin
Re: Success story
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:49:47 PM »
Congrats. That an amazing journey you've been on. Takes real courage and detemination to do what you have done, as only fellow sufferers of knee pain would understand.
To wish impossible things

The Cure

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:07:37 AM »
Awesome story Kat.  Thanks for sharing.  You're giving us all hope.  May life bring you many more successes and a pain free knee forever!!!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 04:58:54 AM »
Thank you for the response to my story.  :)

I wanted people to know that life does go on after and with crappy knees. I think part of the strenght that helped me change life was the knee. The left gave me the time off of a job I knew was going nowhere. Being a surgical tech in the busiest hospital in Austin is not the ideal job for my knees, but I have insurance.  I have days when I wonder, but today I did a 12 hour shift, 8 c-sections, and took no ibuprofen. I think I am doing dang good.

My son will be home in 8 days for the summer, and the little one is doing great.

Hugs,
Kat in Texas
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery