Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella stabilisation post op diary  (Read 113578 times)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Patella stabilisation post op diary
« Reply #360 on: September 25, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »
Joanne, I have basically just caught up on your diary after a few days of missing it.  I am sorry for that, but as you know, I have started a new job and have less time to spend on KG.  I want to let you know that I am sorry for you and all of your stress!  You sound just like me except that I am the one worried about my job.  Despite having transfered to this new place, we still have a chance to lose our jobs at any time.  So I also have to be careful in my medical appts and such.  Anyway, my story doesn't matter, it's you that I care about!!!!  I know how I feel, so I wish I could help you!!!  I guess it doesn't sound like a good time for a puppy, but if I were you, that wouldn't stop me :)  I hope that you find ways to get through all of this.  When is your surgery now?  Did I miss the post with the date? 

I also understand about your frustrated husband.  My husband gets like that as well.  Lately he's been great.  In fact the other day I was telling him all my medical appts just so that we can make sure we have the money and he told me to not worry about the money and just take care of myself.  He was so sweet!  Well I have to get back to work.  Let me know if I can do anything to cheer you up :)  Draw a picture for you?  Take a picture for your?  Just let me know.  I'm thinking about you!!!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #361 on: September 25, 2008, 06:22:07 PM »
awww I feel overwhelmed by your support and so appreciate it. To be a faceless name and know that so many of you care really lift my day well and truly.

Thank you from deep in my soul, I dont have the words today to tell you how much coming here feels like escape and how strong I can feel reading your posts. You lift my spirits and I lift my chin a bit higher and carry on. Hard to explain but you do so very much more than you know

Thanks all so much  :-* :-* :-* :-*
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2008, 06:17:17 AM »
Joanne....Wanted to share a couple of pics of our "four legged babies". ;D Domino is an 11 year old mutt. Lol. Shes mixed breed...definitely some terrier, maybe some sheep dog? Very, very good dog. She was Ricks family dog. Peanut is almost 4. He is a toy pardi poodle, meaning he is multi colored. (apricot and white, with black on his ears) Hes my baby. :-[ Anyways, these are recent pics, so I thought I would share them with you while you are awaiting the arrival of your new "baby"....

DONNA

LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #363 on: September 26, 2008, 08:35:42 AM »
Dear Joanne. I couldnt read your diary and go away from it without posting to you - how I feel so deep down your pain and frustration. Last year, around about this time, I had an undiagnosed pain in my knee and whole leg, and my family absolutely REFUSED to entertain the thought that there could be something wrong AGAIN in my knee. They all thought I was a basket case, having had 16 surgeries and 6 TKR's and the last one being just about 2 years ago. they all said I should snap out of it and stop having pity for myself, and you know what, I was literally crawling on all fours to get around it was hurting so bad. My doctor was the only one that took me seriously, but somehow its our nearest and dearest we NEED MOST to understand our sufferings, simply because of the fact they are SO close to us and everything we do and say. But when I got diagnosed with a loose prothese and osteolysis, it was deadly serious, and then all my family were forced to look at me again, and all of a sudden they said, well maybe there really IS something up again. Now I know its hard for my family to see me go through one op after the other and one TKR after the other, and still not get any better, but the moment I involved my family directly into doctors consulatations and GP's pain control meetings, they really turned round and now they are all just great and really understand I do have a major problem that ISN'T going to be going away on its own, and needs major surgey. i was wondering, has your husband been to an OS appt. with you?? Or even just heave him with you down to your GP so your GP can explain to him whats really going on with you, then if he hears it from a 3rd party maybe it will sink in. I dont understand that he can be so negligent and refuse to help you, when you got married you exchanged vows, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health. maybe he needs a gentle reminder and a wake up call. I understand he has a lot on his plate now, but to be egocentric about ones problems doesnt help anything now does it.

About getting a puppy. Maybe because the relationship with your husband is like it is at the moment, maybe getting a puppy might and ought to be put off for a few more months. that puppy is going to need excersise and you cant really go for walks, and it doesnt sound like hubby wants to be involved. if you get a puppy now, it might just be the last straw, because puppies DO make messes, accidents, whatever you call it, and they need constant attention in the first couple of months. I am speaking of experience here, and just trying to be realistic here. maybe its just not the right time for a puppy, and a puppy will feel it if hes not welcome, if your husband doesnt want to participate in his upbrining, well, it can be a very hard slog. I think that if you are a family and you want a dog, it should be a joint decision and a big YES from all sides, otherwise its just not going to work out right now, and will cause uneccesary friction in a relationship that seems to be a but thin-iced at the moment. Give it time, theres puppies to be had all the time, and if you have chosen a breeder, maybe she has a litter of puppies planned at a later date, maybe that would suit your situation better to wait for a later litter. the breeder will understand, better say pass this time than taking it now and having to return it to the breeder 2 months later cos its just not working out.It will also affect the puppy if theres tension about him. Your knee will get better, give yourself more time, and you see, everything will fall into place in its right time, theres a time for everything in life, and maybe its just not puppy time right now.

Sorry if i grovvel on, but this realy does lie very close to my heart as I knwo what it means to have a dog and not be in physical condition to look after it properly, I had it with my Sandi in the last 2 years of her life I had to actually pay someone to go for walks with her every day, cos she needed the excersise cos she was a show dog, and their muscles need to be strong, but it hurt me deep down that I couldnt do it myself. part of bonding with a dog is doing stuff together, positive stuff, like going for walks and playing with them. Dogs are VERY social animals, and suffer if they dont get their need for contact satisfied, contact by ALL in the family.

Well, joanne, its all your decision in the end, and only you know whats best for you, us other people can only have wild guesses, well maybe not WILD but carefull educated guesses as to help you at the moment. I think of you often, and want you to know that I carry your pains on my heart for you, and pray that you will get soon get releif in your impossible situation.
So, I greet you with love, Beda xx

'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #364 on: September 26, 2008, 11:52:15 AM »
Thanks Beda  :-*

I so appreciate you taking the time to post as I know the pain you have currently. I have a lot to think and need to have a long chat with my other half.

I agree, my children are so desparate for ben to come but I do hear what you are saying. I have a jigsaw I need to put together here and see what the outcome is because like you say whenever Ben comes I want it to be THE happiest experience for him too !

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #365 on: September 26, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »
Hi Joanne,

I hope that you are doing better today. I was thinking about you earlier because I saw some frustrations with my husband and it was very emotionally exhausting to feel like he wasn't supportive. I can't imagine what you must be feeling besides the pain.
I have no idea what taking care of a pet entails, but I know that they can be very therapeutic for people who are healing and people with disabilities, maybe one of your children can help you by being responsible for feeding, and one for cleaning up the messes etc? I don’t know the ages of your children, but I hope you can make it work. I think having a new pup around will be tough, but also it may give you some of the attention you need. Hope you’re pain has subsided. ~Tabitha

Beda,
     I read through your post, and I couldn’t believe that you have been through 16 knee surgeries, that’s unfathomable. I am glad that you at least received proper diagnosis, but it boggles my mind that it took so long. I hope that your recovery goes fast.
~Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #366 on: September 26, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »
Hey Joanne, just wanted to stop in and say Hey! 

Sounds like you guys need to start a new thread called "difficult spouses after knee surgery".  Bet you'd get a lot of hits and probably some great suggestions too.  It has to be so hard to struggle with the emotions of a spouse that isn't supportive.  Hope it all works out quickly.
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »
Hi Joanne,

I'm sorry you've been so stressed (with children, finances, wanting a dog, having a husband who is fed up with hearing about your knee, etc). I just cannot imagine ever being fed up with my significant other just because they have an injury like a knee injury. yes I understand being super frustrated and maybe trying to have a night out with friends to "get away", etc. But I could not imagine ever telling Martin (my boyfriend) that I'm not interested in hearing about his pain. I'm so sorry. What a load to bear  :-\

I had a change of heart and I agree with Beda about Ben.  At first I read what some people wrote and agreed that it's not too much work taking care of a puppy. but then after reading Beda's post i recalled that my doggie (he's 9 1/2 yrs old now) needed to be let out in the middle of the night when he was a puppy for the first couple of weeks. And yes I played with him a lot and rolled around with him, etc. It's so very true that a puppy needs the love and affection of everyone in the family.  another thing that migiht happen if you get him and your hubby refuses to help, is that the dog might develop aggression towards your hubby or just not listen to him, etc. then that would cause a whole lot of problems for you guys. A dog needs to be properly trained by everyone (not just one "parent"). I made that mistake and my dog (who now lives with my parents because I had to move into an apartment) had a problem adjusting to living just with them. They had never helped to walk and train him and be affectionate with him when he was a puppy and a young dog. so then he was super protective of me and just didn't respond as well to others (when they tried to call him, etc). I forget just how limited you are with your injury (are you on crutches? can you get full flexion?), but yes it would be best to be able to sit down comfortably on the floor, and play (run or at least jog) with him. So, with everything going on, yes a puppy might bring you instant happiness, but it might cause more stress after a very short period of time (as Beda mentioned, his first "accident", which we all know happens to all puppies, lol, or when he accidentally chews on your hubby's shoes, etc). Beda I couldn't have said it better myself. To many (myself included) a dog is like a child, a member of the family. You wouldn't want to have a child that your hubby ignored and didn't acknowledge. So i think you should hold off until your hubby at least feels somewhat more welcoming of Ben :)

Beda, I know I messaged you once or twice before. Like Tabitha, I just cannot fathom someone having 6 failed TKRs. And 16 surgeries. OMG! Can I ask how old you are?? I'm going to have to go try and read your journal. I know from Farrah's journal that you're in constant pain :( I'm so sorry.....

Donna, your doggies are so cute! Especially the poodle. It doesn't even look real in the pic (it looks like a cute little stuffed toy :))

ok, that's all the time I have today. I'll check back tomorrow.....

here's to hoping all of my KG friends who are still experiencing daily pain and stress are provided with some sort of relief.....
love,
Nevella XOXO :-*
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #368 on: September 27, 2008, 01:42:07 AM »
Well I sat my other ha;f down and we chatted. To cut  a long story short he is frustrated about my knee and the length of time this process seems to take but does care. He just goes about it all wrong he says. He is not good at the details and facts and does find all that hard to fathom and still in a way wants to blame soneone.

We talked about Ben and he said he knew the research we had done prior to choosing him and the reading about training pups and the efforts our two girls were making to learn also. He said he knows He may well fall in love with Ben and provided the main duty of care in long term falls on me and the girls he is happy to help out in the first few months when I may be unable. He says long term though as long as me and the girls know it is our responsibility.

So I guess that is progress of sorts, most importantly he said he loves me and just goes about the caring part in the wrong way.

So it is a step in the right direction. I have taken all your input seriously and we are going to look at dates etc, when would Ben come - we think a month before my op. I am mobile just now so would that be enough time to make progress in house training etc and all the little goals our dog training and dog whisperer books have told us.

Most of all, we love Ben already so his well being with us or not is so important as he feels so special to my girls already.

We will see - thank you all SO much for the advice. It helps hugely !

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2008, 02:24:10 AM »
He said he knows He may well fall in love with Ben and provided the main duty of care in long term falls on me and the girls he is happy to help out in the first few months when I may be unable.

....... he said he loves me and just goes about the caring part in the wrong way.

Yay!!! that's absolutely wonderful!! First of all that your hubby says he loves you and admits that he goes about the caring part in the wrong way (that's HUGE for a guy to admit that, lol. wow! So that's a great step in the right direction :)

Secondly, that's wonderful that he'll help out in the first few months with Ben if you're not able. That was my big concern. If your hubby refused to help at all during the first few months after your surgery. So since he says he WILL help, that changes a lot. I would then say to get Ben (so long as you know your hubby is being sincere....but I have a feeling he is being VERY sincere :)).  I'm happy for you. Happy that things have seemed to brighten up for you tonight :D

sleep well :) i'll check in tomorrow :D
~Nevella
-July '07-soccer injury

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2008, 04:04:59 AM »
Hi Joanne!!! So pleased to read that youve had a serious talk with your husband, and that although he has difficulty in showing it, he really DOES care and that is a huge step for a male spouse to admit, I think its because they think somehow they have to be the 'strong' one in the family, the 'backbone' if you like, and when they feel they cant meet the demands, well, then sometimes they react by refusing to take the situation seriously - outwardly - but thats not really what is going on.
I am also overjoyed to hear that he is willing to help out in the first months with Ben. It is a BIG thing having a puppy, and the fact that you are still moblie now and able to give him your all in the first all-important month is great! At least now you KNOW your husband isnt just not-caring, but somehow I think he hides under a shell of not-caring to protect his  so fragile insecurities  about your situation. Its good your children also are going to be involved in looking after Ben, but remember, it doesnt matter how old your hildren are, its unltimatly YOUR responsibility to look after Ben, as children do not grasp the meaning of all-embracing care and attention. Children might all of a sudden let something other than the dog take up their lives all of a sudden, not for a permanent ammount of time, but sometimes they may not always put Ben first, thats just the nature of kids, so you have to be the bearing factor here.

Nevella, thank you for your kind attention. yes, ive had 16 surgeries and am on the 17th here on the 27th of october. I have really had a very long haul, and wouldnt wish it on anyone. I have incerdible ammounts of pain to deal with, and right now its the middle of the night for me, but I had to get up because I have so much pain its driving me crazy and I had to take some extra morphine. To answer the question how old I am, well, I'm 52 but a very young 52. You can look at my website  www.bedasatelier.dk  to see a picture of who I am and to see what I do in life apart from being operated on!!! I too hope this upcoming surgery is going to put an end to my sufferings, as we alll do when we have surgery!!

Tabitha, thanks for your greetings

So, all in all Joanne, things are looking up for you now you have some clarity about your situation, and I'm sure the arrival of Ben is going to be one of the happiest moments in your life!! So i wish you all the luck in the world, and happy puppy days!!!
Love Beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
constant pain

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2008, 04:20:07 AM »
Beda,

52 is definitely young. Wow, surgery #17. You're in my prayers. I cannot even try to imagine what you've been through....I'm glad you have KGs as a strong support system.

thanks for the website. I'm gonna go check it out now! :D i hope the extra dose of morphine kicks in soon....xoxo
-July '07-soccer injury

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2008, 04:26:39 AM »
Sorry to borrow your thread again Joanne to communicate, lol. But Beda, I just checked out your website and that's amazing! i was looking on here for your post-op diary to comment on your website, but i can't find one. Do you not have a post-op journal on here? can you send me the link? i'm into amateur photography and loved your pics.

ok, nite nite everyone! And again Joanne....i'm THRILLED at your husband's change of heart about Ben :D and his honesty with you. things will get better. yay!!!
-July '07-soccer injury

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »
Nevella, my diary is in 'General questions and comments' and is called Bedas Pre-op diary.
xxB
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline Tabitha

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #374 on: September 29, 2008, 06:55:47 AM »
Hi Joanne,
      I had a busy weekend and just got an opportunity to get online to see how you were doing. I was really happy to read that you taked with your hubby, I really felt like getting a pup was important to you, so I am glad that he is willing to share some of the resposibility. He sounds like a wonderful man, he just has a lot on his plate. That's great that you were able to talk to him, I know that's the most difficult part is finding the words to say that can get your point across without causing an argument, or at least that's difficult to me.

Hope everything else is going well with you.

~Tabitha
ACL injured 2006- Snowboarding
Reinjured ACL + miniscus 8/18/08- Playing frisbeee
ACL Autograft/ Lateral Miniscal repair  9/12/08
Started PT 9/29/08
80 degree ROM

support