Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella stabilisation post op diary  (Read 116855 times)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Patella stabilisation post op diary
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
Hello Joanne, You will get there!  I don't know much about your surgery or your pain, but I really wish and hope for the best for you.  I am thinking about you!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »
Well I have  alot of redness and warmth and swelling (so much so that its hard) over the lower area of the patella down onto my shin where the tendon is. I have lost most of the bend...well what I had anyway. The wound is fine, still scabbed but the area below is painful, tender and hard and tenderness goes down onto the top of my shin.

Someone said to me it could be busristis, does anyone know what that is and if you think thats a possibility ?
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
Hi joanne,
Perhaps you should ring your PT and explain about the swelling? It doesnt sound like its getting any better.
I dont know what busristis is?
Warmth is ok, how red is it? Is there an obvious line where it starts?
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »
Hi Joanne,

Sorry you are still struggling.

Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa. It could be possible, but I doubt it. You really need to get this properly diagnoses. When do you go back to your OS ?

About to go into A&E as I can't get my pain under control and didn't hear back from my OS's rooms today.

Hopefully they will be able to ring my OS.

Good luck with your recovery !!!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2008, 05:08:07 PM »
Kisrty, I posted you in your diary and hope you are ok now.

I was on my feet a lot last night, I was stage manager at my wee ones dance show. It was so cute :0

I am in a lot of pain today and the swelling is more - not surprising but the hardness is ever evident and redness still there.

I go and see my PT Monday night so we will see what he thinks then.

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2008, 08:24:11 PM »
Hi all

I am a little worried tonight, when standing I have a lot of pain in my knee, almost stinging but that word is not accurate. I cant explain it really just pain in the front of my knee, a lot of swelling, some warmth, well maybe quite a bit and hardness over the patella and some pulling over the medial side where they done the work.

it feels better when I elevate - I just dont understand this at all.

I finished the antibiotics a few days ago. the wound looks fine but the hardness in areas and the redness .......if the wound is ok that means all should be well underneath too shouldnt it ?

I changed my PT apt to Monday night and if its as bad I will ask to see the OS.

I hope this passes and I am just worrying needlessly.

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »
I hope this passes and I am just worrying needlessly.

I hope so too!!  Sorry I can't be more of a help.  Let us know how your PT apt goes on Monday.  I am thinking of you and wish there was more I could do.  Thanks for all your kind notes on my diary!  It really means a lot!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2008, 03:06:01 AM »
Hi Joanne,

I wish I could be of more help!! You are obviously worried about your knee. It seems to be positive that it feels better when you elevate. It would be more worrying if it didn't. I get the "stinging" too, when I stand, and it goes when I elevate. I think it's the blood racing to fill the surgery areas. The hardness could be extra scar tissue that was laid down due to the infection you had. Is it painful to touch, or not painful, or uncomfortable? If it's not really painful to touch then you could try massaging it. If it's scar tissue then you'll see an improvement slowly over a few days.

Having the wound okay doesn't mean all is well underneath, but you should have other signs that all is not well if something is going on in the deeper tissues - which is why I am concerned about my fever. I am glad you are seeing the PT soon. You should be able to get some light shed on the situation by your PT, as they see lots of wounds in all different conditions, so should know what is good and what isn't.

Good luck!!! I am thinking of you!

Kathy

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2008, 03:09:52 AM »
Joanne....Any sign of fever? If you would get one, I wouldnt wait till Monday. Otherwise, if it feels better elevated, then do so as much as you can. I got that stinging feeling alot too for awhile. So it could be a normal part of it all. The hardness and redness is puzzling. I wouldnt think it would be an infection if you just finished the antibiotics a few days ago. Maybe just irritation? Try not to worry too much. Like I said, if things worsen, or you get a fever, go to the ER and get it checked out. Better safe than sorry....

hugs....DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2008, 06:13:32 AM »
Hi Joanne,

I hope you are starting to feel a bit better.

Good luck with your PT appointment tomorrow.

Let us know how you go.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »
Hi guys

I think maybe I am run down. I have a chronic headache and feel sick. I have stayed in bed all day. I think the worst pain is around the wound but as I am on my feet the stinging builds up big time. The pain isnt gone completely when I elevate but it helps.

The hardness is there but very tender so there is no way I could massage it right now. I have taken some meds and stayed in bed all day yesterday really and all of today so far as I know I am gonna be on my feet tonight at my kids show. Anyway hope you are all ok.

I texted my PT and asked him if he had any cancellations tomorrow morning to let me know.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
Joanne,

You did not say if you are running a fever along with feeling sick????  If your temp is elevated please call your OS or get to a Dr today....a elevated temp along with the feeling sick is not a good thing...as Donna said...Better to be safe then sorry!!!

Take Care,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2008, 09:43:52 AM »
Hi Joanne,
How are you feeling today? You need to check your temperature, you may well just be run down but if you are any way feverish you need to see a doc.
Kathy is probably right about scar tissue getting laid down and causing hard areas - could also be inflammation on the inside so some areas of tissue are just filled with fluid and feel hard.
Whats the deal with the stinging - is it like a burning sensation? Or like an electric shock feeling? Or like stinging nettles concentrated in one area?
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2008, 12:07:26 PM »
Hi Joanne,

I think the stinging is fairly normal. I get the same thing, and it's at it's worst when I am upright. I think it's the "blood rushes" that people talk about, as I can feel it filling my shin when I first stand, and it just intensifies the longer I am on my feet. And "stinging" is the way I describe it too, for want of a better word.

It's a shame you feel sick. I was nauseous and light-headed this morning. I think it was a combination of lack of sleep (I have slept a lot, but not always every time my body wants to), the pain killers, constipation (blah!), and dehydration (it's hard to keep fluids up when you sleep a lot!). I reckon it all just caught up with me. Probably the same has happened to you, but do check your temperature, just in case, and see your GP if you don't feel better after some rest.

I hope you felt better in time for your daughter's concert. My daughter has hers next week. They do two performances on the one day. I am worried about the long day I will have, getting her ready and then watching both concerts with lunch in between. Do you get a DVD of the performance? I love looking back at old concerts, when the kids were really little. They're priceless!

I hope you feel better soon. Good luck.

Kathy

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »
Well I was in pain last night and went to bed after the show. I was on my feet for the show...but it was worth it seeing my 2 wee girls dance  ;D

Anyhow this morning the pain was immense, and eventually I looked down to see a bloody goo run down my leg. I couldnt see where the split was - it was as if some part of the wound area became leaky again. Then within the hour it almost bubbled up in this soft tissuey mound oozing goo. I ended up phoning the PT, went in and he took one look at it and paged the OS and the RMO (house doctor in hospital) and nurses.

The OS is away on a course today but they are waiting for him to call in, the RMP prescribed me what I can only describe as an arsenal of antibiotics.

I take 1000mg of one 8 times a day and then a second type 4 times a day...they even talked of admitting me at one point, however I was glad to come home.

The nurses swabbed it and dressed it with some silver foam stuff and bandages and I have to go back tomorrow unless I hear from the OS first.

So my guess is it has been infected. I dont know what happens now, the PT said the OS will decide if he should go in and clean it out or not. The nurses said if the strong antibiotics work then maybe it will disperse.

So thats the new, I have to avoid weight bearing when possible and I guess the next few days will be telling. I feel as if I am run down but dont have a temperature.

They said if the pian increaseds or I get a temperature to phone immediately.