Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella stabilisation post op diary  (Read 110278 times)

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella stabilisation post op diary
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »
photo number 2
close up of wound but lighting may have effected its outcome a bit as I took it with my phone.
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 04:42:24 PM »
Photo 3 for you
This gives a slightly better idea of swelling but its not a great angle. It shows swelling in my lower leg but I couldnt do it standing up to show you properly. Even the back of my knee feels swollen.

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 04:43:46 PM »
last one

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »
Joanne, its really looking very good, everything taken into consideration!! the wound looks better, and the swelling is about as swollen as mine is now (before surgery!!!) The swelling will be helped by elevation AT EVERY POSSIBLE OCCASION, and ice.
Hope things continue to go well for you
Love beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »
Thanks Beda

Things dont feel great tonight. I fel a deeper burning inside and the swelling is more again. I hope a rest tonight will help but I see my PT tomorrow.

Thanks for your support :)

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 06:19:51 PM »
Hope for you all is well, your PT will be able to assess it tomorrow. Its difficult to see the real state of it with pics from the phone, as you say, the lighting could trick a bit. I do hope that the deep burning is only 'cos youve been on it today.
Love beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
constant pain

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 08:09:35 PM »
Hi Joanne,
you need more elevation I think. My foot and ankle were all fat and puffy looking the first 2 days after my op - I spent an hour or so a day on my back on the bed with 4 pillows under my legs and my feet resting on the wall to try and encourage the swelling out of the limb - you need to get the site of swelling above the heart, so with your knee the best way is for you to be flat on your back with your legs up on something. I know you arent bending yet, so maybe some sort of sling/cushion affair for you to get them up as high as possible as straight as possible?
Also keep twirling your foot around with your ankle and keep clenching your toes - its helps with the circulation and may move some of that fluid out of your leg.

The wound looks ok - its doesnt look infected but it looks sore!!!
Get your PT to have a look at it tomorrow.
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 11:51:02 PM »
Hi Joanne,

I must apologise for not finding your diary before today - I'm not very observant obviously!  ::)

Your wound is looking better. I wonder if the puffiness around the incision and the gaping could have been due to an allergy to the glue (they glued it, did they?). It does look as though it's settling though. The swelling is something that you just have to treat by elevating as much as possible. I spent most of the two weeks post-op in bed with my feet up and ice on my knees, and then I still had to spend big chunks of time with my feet up after that, in order to keep the swelling at a minimum. Having an immobiliser certainly doesn't help the swelling.

I hope the aching improves and that PT goes okay.

Kathy

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
Thanks guys

My leg, shin and ankle are big , the skin is going shiny on my shin and to point my toes forward hurts as the skin is so tight over the front of my ankle onto my foot.

The PT todays was just like well its all huge isn't it. You have maybe just iriitated it. Try and do some ankle pumping so we can get the lymphatic drainage working. He tried to get some bend in the knee I got 23 degrees which is not huge for this stage, he would hope we would be easing gently towards 40 but no more.

He done some ultrasound on it as when he was trying to touch some of it I was grabbing his wrists to stop him. I know him well now so he wa slaughing...I wasnt but he knows me and tells me about his weekend and anything to distract me now. In fact this is how fit him and my OS are. They met up and went cycling for 100 miles around some beautiful country villages near where they live - I know them all and no the distances and how they done a giant circle. 100 miles in 6 hours on bike...and obviously not a motorbike. Thats pretty impressive.

So he regailed me with stories like that and I have to see him next week but if I have any further changes I have to ring him.

Its the tension down the side of the knee which he says is worse because of the swelling and maybe I have irritated some of the scar or new tissues attaching the ligaments or soft tissue they altered. I dont know really, I just said I knew something was different from last week. I feel as if my knee is twisting, my thingh wants to turn towards the medial side whislt my shin and foot want to point out laterally slightly. He thinks its all swelling related.

Dont know, guess we just have to wait and see. So I am sore tonight, a bit dejected. Guess I wanted a quick fix or even thought like my last surgery they may aspirate the knee but no suggestion of that and I certainly wasnt going to suggest it as it hurt like hell last time.

So keep going on and be posotive. Keep pushing myself and elevating when I can.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 07:54:36 PM »
Hi Joanne,
It just takes time for all this stuff to settle down and if swelling comes up it can be hard to make it go away, its easier to swell than unswell if you know what I mean.
At least the physio was rather unperturbed by it all and just got on with things, if he was worried he would have said do.
What did he think of your incision?

I get that twisting feeling too - I think its from my bum muscles being weak - its lets my femur twist ina bit from the bum, but the lower part of my leg wants to be straight. I think a painful knee can let the body just do that.

Its still early days yet, so no worries, it will all come good soon enough.
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »
Hi Joanne. i agree with tanya, if the PT wasnt too worried about it, the chances are its all very innocent. All you need to do is keep elevating as much a possible Elevate at EVERY possible occasion. The worse thing you can do is sit on a chair normally with your feet down. This cuts off the lymphatic drainage at the knee, and you get this incredible swelling, and the skin goes shiney 'cos its being stretched. it's nothing serious!! But uncomfortable. When you go to bed tonight, try to have you knee higher than the level of your heart. (dont have too many head pillows).
Hope it gets better soon Love beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2008, 02:22:41 AM »
Hello Joanne, sorry about all the swelling you are having.  Did you do something more than usual recently?  Or is it just a random problem?  It sounds like you have a great PT that you can trust.  That's important!  I currently don't like mine anymore.  She is good, but she doesn't have a nice attitude with me.  I think she is frustrated and doesn't know what else to do than put me through pain.  I know she doesn't like doing that, but she thinks she has to right now. 

I am happy about my apt today, but also not happy about the decision I have to make with leaving my current OS and going to a new one.  I am just tired of having to deal with all of this!  I know what the right and smart decision is, but it's not as easy as it sounds since I have been going to my current OS office for 3 years now.  I know everyone and know how to work the system.  I like how my PT is right there in the OS clinic so they can communicate at any time.  Anyway, walking is more important to me, so I will make the right decision, it will just be difficult saying goodbye to some of those people. 

Well I hope you feel better quickly!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 04:07:27 AM »
Hi Joanne,

Glad to hear you are making some progress.

You had a lot of work done on your knee, so not surprising you still have a lot of swelling. Keep up the icing and ankle pumps too.

Most of my swelling has gone, but still on crutches as it hasn't totally gone. Will be on crutches for at least another 2 weeks.

It's great you have a wonderful physio and works closely with your OS. I start physio in just under 2 weeks. What joy, not !!!

Keep up the good work !!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 09:38:05 PM »
sorry not been about today. Knee shin ankle foot still huge. A lot of tension in the knee I even took the brace off and wanted to bend but fear stops me. Just a bit fed up and angry- I now feel so cross at the first OS leaving me like this for a year and my pt saying this could be slow as my knee is starting from a negative.

Sorry some of you have so much more than me I am just being selfish here. Ignore me I will be better by tomorrow.

Hope you are all ok

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 09:54:04 PM »
Joanne, it's okay to have ups and downs!!  You will be emotional now and then until you see lots of progress!  I understand and have experienced it myself :)  I would tell you to be patient, but that's not easy!  We want our knees fixed now!  I am sorry you are struggling with the swelling.  Just keep icing and don't worry for now.  It will get better.  My knee looked like a grapefruit for about 2 months!  I never cared though.  I just kept doing what I was suppose to.

As for people being worse off...don't compare!!!  You are in pain and struggling and that's tough no matter who you are or what other people are dealing with.  This is a struggle for you as it would be anybody else in your brace :) Just think about yourself and vent on here all you need to!  It's important to get it out to people who understand and can support you when you need it.  I am here if you ever need anything. I hope your emotions get better tomorrow...it's hard to not be happy while stuck around the house helpless...it will all improve once you start regaining strength and control!  Have a good night!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)