Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: not sure what is wrong--Update  (Read 1120 times)

Offline mathmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
not sure what is wrong--Update
« on: May 27, 2008, 01:25:06 PM »
Hi, this is my first post.  I have never had any kind of knee pain before.  I am 33 and up until my late 20s I was very active and worked out often.  Since then I have had a couple of kids and gained about 25lbs  >:(  Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I decided to try a couch to 10K program.  The first week of the program went well, but after only 2 days on the second week of the program I hurt my knee.  Well, actually both knees are sore, but the right one is REALLY sore.  I haven't done anything for the past week in hopes that it would heal, but it hasn't gotten any better.  It feels pretty good if I take ibuprofen, but once that wears off the pain comes right back.  The pain is to the inside of my knee cap (that is the part of my knee closest to my left leg).  Sometimes it looks a little swollen.  I can push on the part that hurts.  It seems to be where my bones meet, if that makes sense.  Everything I have read online points to a problem either with the MCL or the meniscus, but all the inuries to those things seem to involve some sort of injury due to contact.  I was just jogging around a track and slowly at that.  My left knee has the same pain, but not nearly to the degree as my right knee.  But if I push on the same part on my left knee I can find that pain.  Anyone have any ideas?  I am having a hard time keeping up with my kids with this bum knee.  Thanks!!

Beth
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:10:48 PM by mathmama »

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: not sure what is wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:33:58 PM »
Hi Beth & welcome to Kneegeeks. It sounds from what you're saying that you could have torn a meniscus but w/o seeing an OS, there's no guarantee what's going on. And although we can commiserate with what you're going through, it's the professional who needs to make the actual determination. If the problem persists, do seek medical advice. In the meantime ice, rest & anti-inflammatories might improve your aches & pains. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

gigi67

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
yup c n a dr is always best...definitely use ice until then ...20 minutes every two hours if possible...if thats not practical then 20 min as often as u can....few times per day...elevate above the heart if swollen.....try a light wrap until you can c a doc perhaps..just to give it a bit of support and will help keep any further swelling if something more serious other than overuse from doing soo much after a longer period of not much activity.  call doc! ice it down..keep the antinflammatories at regular intervals..keep us posted.

Offline mathmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:26:22 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Even though I knew I should ice it I wasn't doing it because I just didn't think it could help.  Since yesterday I have iced it 3 times and taken ibuprofen pretty regularly and it is feeling much better.   I think that part of my problem is the extra weight I am carrying coupled with quads that aren't quite strong enough to deal with the weight.  I am going to give it some time with the ice and regular ibuprofen and see how it is.  I will be seeing my regular dr soon at a social event so if it is still bothering me then I will ask him about it.

Beth

Offline derek english

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:40:27 PM »
I would say its your cartilage!! but go see your doc..

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:27:56 PM »
Seeing your doctor at a social event is not really going to help you any. He won't be able to diagnose you and if he's smart he'll tell you to see an orthopedic surgeon. You don't need to be playing contact sports to tear a meniscus. It's surprisingly easy to do. My husband just tore his when he turned in his chair with his foot planted on the floor. Poof.

Offline mathmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
Seeing your doctor at a social event is not really going to help you any. He won't be able to diagnose you and if he's smart he'll tell you to see an orthopedic surgeon. You don't need to be playing contact sports to tear a meniscus. It's surprisingly easy to do. My husband just tore his when he turned in his chair with his foot planted on the floor. Poof.

Thanks for the concern, I wasn't going to ask him to diagnose me, just to give me a referral.

I have been poking around the site and it seems that every knee pain requires surgery.  Am I missing something?  Are there knee problems that are bettered just by rest, ice, and ibuprofen?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
Absolutely there are injuries that heal without surgery. Don't think that just because you see a doctor that they will automatically suggest surgery. In fact, my experience has been that they will prescribe every treatment available first then resort to surgery if nothing else works. (Of course, some injuries need immediate surgery, but that's not what you're dealing with.)

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:02:52 PM »
Absolutely there are injuries that heal without surgery. Don't think that just because you see a doctor that they will automatically suggest surgery. In fact, my experience has been that they will prescribe every treatment available first then resort to surgery if nothing else works. (Of course, some injuries need immediate surgery, but that's not what you're dealing with.)

Janet

I agree. I've never had a doctor suggest surgery the first time I walked into his office for knee pain. Usually the first thing they do is an x-ray and then order an MRI so a diagnosis can be made. Next comes physical therapy, cortisone injections, anti-inflammatories, etc. When to have surgery was always my decision. Even if they suggest surgery you don't have to have it, they can't force you after all. One very good reason for seeing a doctor is to just find out what you're dealing with.

The problem with sites like this is that the majority of people that write have had some serious injuries or have other chronic problems. In reality, the vast majority of people gather information and never write. They get their issues taken care of and never return.

Offline mathmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: not sure what is wrong--Update
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
well, I was being pretty faithful with the ibuprofen and tried to ice my knee as many times as possible throughout the day.  Up through Saturday, the knee would have times of feeling much better, usually after some ibuprofen or some light stretching of the surrounding muscles, and times of feeling no better.  Then Sunday morning I woke up and while still in bed my pelvis cracked (this happens to me often since giving birth) and when I got out of bed my knee was significantly better than it had been at any time recently.  I was able to walk down the stairs totally normally.  Since Sunday I have continued taking some ibuprofen although I have been tapering down the amount, but I haven't iced my knee.  The area of my knee that was SOOO sore to the touch is no longer sore.  I have the slightest pain when I walk, but it isn't even enough to make me really notice it and certainly not enough to change my gait.

I can't imagine how my pelvis cracking had anything to do with my knee, but it was the first time in recent memory where it had cracked that strongly.  And it was so odd how my knee seemed to fix itself overnight.  Anyway, I am going to get back to exercising in the next week or so.  I am going to start slow and perhaps try and lose some pounds before I start jogging again.  Thanks for the suggestions, the frequent ibuprofen and ice really helped get me through those days when my knee hurt so so much.

Beth