Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dodgy knee question  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Gaslamp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Dodgy knee question
« on: August 01, 2003, 05:21:18 PM »
Hi folks :)

I had an arthroscopy on my left knee about 4 years ago. Turned out there was a large mass of fluid that had hardened, and was rubbing on the bone.

I was fine until about 2 years ago, when I had to have another arthroscopy as I was in some pain again. They removed some cartilage and a load of scar tissue from the previous operation.

They forgot to send me for physio though (for 3 weeks) and my knee locked into a bent position that took months of physio and hydrotherapy to sort out. They also cut through a nerve so have just about got feeling back in my knee again.

I was fine until a couple of weeks ago and my knee's starting to get painful again - it's achy and sore, feels weak and clicks and cracks continuously. I'm worried that its 'starting to go' again.

I have a doctors appointment for Monday morning (in the hope of getting a physios appt).

Trouble is that I'm 29 and I play competitve sports. I'm stuffed if my knee gets into trouble again. Is asking to be referred to a physio the best option at the moment?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 05:21:56 PM by Gaslamp »

SL99

Re: Dodgy knee question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 07:10:50 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board - although I'm sorry you need to be hear of course!

It sounds like you have had a lot of hassle and hard work to do with your knee, well done for getting it back in working order after it locked up. I'm really sorry that you are starting to have pain etc in it again though. I think seeing the physio might be a good option as you might just need some adjusted exercises to stabilise the knee again, but I would also advise trying to see an OS too as if there is an underlying problem the sooner you address it the better and easier it is to treat.

Fingers crossed it's a very easily fixable problem and that a few weeks of physiotherapy will have you back up and running again! Take care and keep us posted with your progress.

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 07:11:39 PM by SL99 »

Offline Gaslamp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 07:14:45 PM »
Thanks for that :)

What's an OS? Osteopath?

Am still training at the moment but finding some moves more difficult to do now, and knee feels sore and 'tired' after each session.

Fingers crossed they sort it out.......

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 07:22:02 PM »
Hi there and a big welcome to you...

Jo gave you great advice (An os is an orthopaedic surgeon.)  PT may be all that it takes--but it is worrisome that these keeps resurfacing for you.  Hopefully an os will be able to get to the bottom of it, treat it adequately, and prevent these disruptions to your life and sports interests.

Let us know how things go--Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Gaslamp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 07:24:11 PM »
Ta for that :)

Want to try and stay clear of an OS in that case, after the last time!

What worries me is that'll be scar tissue again, in which case there's not a lot they can do.

Will let you know what the GP says.

Fingers crossed - what a pain! (excuse the pun ;))
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 07:26:46 PM by Gaslamp »

SL99

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 07:33:21 PM »
Oops, sorry - guess I've been posting on here too long, I'm picking up the lingo!  ;)

I can understand you wanting to steer clear of the OS, but like I say it's sometimes better to bite the bullet and find out what the trouble is sooner rather than later. As for the scar tissue problem, it might be worth talking to your physio about some ultrasound as that can be effective at relieving scar tissue and the pain it causes.

Hope things go well for you and good luck with the training - what sports are you doing by the way 9 sorry I'm really nosey!)  ;)

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 07:37:29 PM by SL99 »

Offline Gaslamp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 01:00:55 AM »
Ha, unfortunatley, surgeons, by  the very nature of their work, like to perform surgery, so I hope the physio sorts it out.

As for sports, well, I compete in karate but have been training at it for about 11 years. Lots of twisty turny stuff so I guess it's all self-inflicted :-/

I've got one competition a month for the next 3 months so could do without this! :(

Offline Gaslamp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 12:06:42 PM »
Well, here we go again.

Physio and OS appointments :-/ and take it from there.....

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 02:26:50 PM »
Good luck with these appointments....

I know how hard it is to face the idea of "any more" when you have had a lot of interventions previously.  I've been doing a lot of thinking about that--and the words "This is nor right/ fair." come to my mind and out of my mouth a lot.  While this is true, I understand deep down that fair isn't a part of this--but getting better and taking care of myself is a high priority.

I hope that the os and pt can help you with minimal struggling on your part--and that this is an easy solve.  Take care and be sure to keep us updated.

Hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

support