Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kirsty's Left Knee Trochleoplasty Post-Op Diary  (Read 166716 times)

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Kirsty's Post-Op Diary
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 03:13:27 PM »
I am so pleased to hear your incision is ok and to have almost full bend back is amazing. I am at 23 degrees so have a way to go but wow your progress inspires me.

I hope your boss becomes more sympathetic...its unbelievable how some folk can be so uncaring about their staff.

You keep going and I am so pleased for you :)
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 04:02:36 AM »
Hi Joanne,

How are you doing ?

Thanks for your kind words.

My bend is probably thanks to my loose ligaments and superflexibility. Still got swelling, which is annoying. I am meant to start working from home on Tuesday, but my doctor said not to if I still have swelling. Will probably ring him on Tuesday if I still have swelling.

Tanya had a good suggestion for my OS or sports physician to write a letter or speak to my boss so he has a better understanding. I reckon my boss just reckons I'll get better quickly as most sports stars are back quickly after injury and being treated by a knee surgeon who operates on a lot of elite athletes.

Have a good weekend.  :D :D :D :D

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

Sounds like you are doing really well can't believe you doing all that at only 2 weeks post op.

I can understand how you must be feeling about work, can't believe how pushy they are being! At least by going back 4 hours a day will let your employers see what you can and can't do, realise how hard you are trying and how difficult it is for you.

I work for local govenment in the UK and they can't fire you until you have been off sick for a year, I had a meeting with HR and Occy health this week to find out where I stand cause I am stil on light duties and may have to have more time off if I have another op. DOes your work have a sickness policy? It may be worth you speaking to Occy Health about it and finding out excatly where you stand.

Hope your feeling better with your virus?

Have a good weekend.

Trace  :)

l

23/07/08 - MPFL Reconstruction
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
4 years of physio and acupuncture
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy
7 years of physio, insoles, brace, MRI scans and Xrays
1996 - knee problems started

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 02:08:12 PM »
Hi Trace,

Thanks for your sweet note.

Don't think I am ready to go back to work. Each time I work on the computer my knee really swells up. Tried connecting to the work network from home, but having trouble. It was quite swollen afterwards. I'll ring my sports physician on Tuesday as we have a public holiday here tomorrow.

Will probably listen in to a meeting on Tuesday morning and then speak to my doctor. Just don't want to jeopardise my health right now. I may just have to play around with the hours I work initially until my swelling goes down.

My infection is slowly going, but taking a long time.

Guess you are probably counting down the days and weeks till your appointment. Am keen to know what he says. Still can't believe a shoulder surgeon looked at your knee !!! My shoulder surgeon says he has no idea about knees, so I would have to think !

I hope you had a good weekend !!! :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 09:29:28 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

I had exactly the same problem with my knee when sitting at a computer, I still do after a couple of hours, I can understand how painful and frustrating it is. What I found helped was a box under my desk it didn't get my leg up that high but it did give me a little bit of relief. I also found that when I did I go back to work was to ice every hour, it was difficult in the office to get ice so I took a small cool box with my lunch and ice packs in! lol slightly stange I know but at least it helped with the pain and swelling.

You are right you must not jepordise your health over a job, at the end of the day you will have your knee for life. Work could have you now but loose you for much longer in the future if you have further problems as a result of going back too early. Stick to ya guns Kirsty, you are doing the right thing.

2 weeks 4 days to go till I see the surgeon! wonder what he will say is wrong, whatever he says I hope he can fix me. I especially hope I don't have to go back to my origional surgeon, I have totally lost faith in that hospital now, the shoulder surgeon was the last straw.

Anyways hope you have a good public holiday tommorrow,

Trace
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 12:39:22 AM »
Hello Kirsty.  I hope you are doing well today!  I also put boxes under my desk to put my leg up.  I rarely sit normally at my desk (with my legs both bent).  It starts to get pretty painful if I stay like that for any period of time.  That's nice that you have a holiday tomorrow!  We just had one a few weeks ago and it was nice to have the 3 day weekend.  We have July 4th as our independence day holiday!  So that will be our next 3-day holiday.  Anyway, don't go to work until you are ready...definitely ask your OS about it first.  Good luck!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 11:08:18 AM »
Hi Trace & Farrah,

Thanks for your lovely notes and suggestions.

Interesting that you ice every hour, Trace. There is a first aid room at work and have ice packs there. So, is really made for me. Once I'm back in the office I will definitely do that.

I've had a box under my computer at home but doesn't seem to make a lot of difference right now. May just need some more time off work. My surgeon did say 3 weeks, maybe 4. Or maybe I can just start with working 1 or 2 hours a day to start with.

I'll ring my sports physician tomorrow morning and see what he says.

Can't wait to see what your new surgeon says, Trace. He sounds really good. Fingers crossed you won't need to go back to see the horrible old surgeon.

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 02:02:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Well I tried working 3 hours this morning and my knee just blew up.

This afternoon I spoke to my sports physician and said it's probably too early. So, I have the rest of the week off. Pretty disappointed as I really want to get back to work, but need to obey his orders. My doctor said if swelling isn't controlled at an early stage much harder to get under control. So, I'll be watching more dvd's and icing icing icing for the rest of the week.

Off to surgeon on Friday, then sports physician. So, will see what they say.

Hope everyone is well.  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline Thekaratekid

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »
Hi ya Kirsty,

Sorry to hear that your knee wouldn't let you work, I know how frustrating that is.

Have you got a games consol? I got addicted to Playstation and Nitendo DS when I was sat icing, I was completing a game a week lol. There great fun and keep your mind working! Also Facebook is pretty addictive too, have you got an account?

Goodluck seeing the surgeon on Friday, let us know how it goes.

Trace  ;D
28/11/07 - LR (Failed)
23/12/03 - Arthroscopy

Offline kneereco66

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
hi Kirsty
i think you are about 3 days ahead of me in recovery, this is my second reconstruction on my knee. and i think you are ahead of what i have been both times so congratulations
what exercises are you doing for the next coupleof weeks?
Ryan

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »
Kirsty

Sorry to hear your knee is swelling, how is your boss being about things ? Did you get a letter from your OS / PT ?

I do hope its a little easier today and you are enjoying your time off, elevate and enjoy some me time. You deserve it.

My knee is well not sure actually,its oozing today. Anyhow dont want to hijack your thread so I'II post it in my diary.

Hope the knee settles, I still think you are doing amazingly well all things considered. I am 4 weeks post op this Friday and should be at 60 degrees and am at 25 max :(

Anyhow, your great progress cheers me and inpsires me, way to go :)
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
Hello Kirsty, sorry about your work situation!  I hope you are feeling better since then.  What did your boss and coworkers say to you when you were there?  Were they understanding and helpful?  I hope so...that's what you deserve.  Well I hope you are feeling okay now!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 02:19:26 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your support. I haven't been feeling the best and trying to keep off the computer as much as I can.

Trace, no I don't have a games console. Been doing other things like watching dvd's etc.

Kneereco66, I have just got two exercises at the moment. One is bending and the other is quad sets until I see my knee surgeon tomorrow. Must say I am very bored with them. Hopefully I can start physio next week.

Joanne, I haven't got a letter from my PT or OS yet. Will speak to my OS about it tomorrow. Work have been pretty good, especially the occupational health nurse. My boss has been a bit pushy to get my home access sorted out, which annoys me a bit. That's pretty much sorted out now. Just trying to sort out my email.

Farrah, looks like work will be ok. Just probably need a letter from OS or for him to speak with them.

I have been feeling quite down the last couple of days. Just so sick of being off work and being at home. I think when I see my OS tomorrow I will feel differently. Once I start physio I'll notice a difference too. Think I'll try and get out on the weekend too. Also had alot of pressure from my parents to get back to work as soon as possible. They reckon I should have tried working this week in one hour blocks a couple of times a day. It made me so angry as my doctor told me to take the rest of the week off, which I have.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:34:33 AM by kjwilkin »
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline kneereco66

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 05:09:40 AM »
That sounds good Kirsty.
Physio is alright for me atm, but i know from last time the hard work starts soon lol.
I just cant wait untile i get back into the gym for some work on the legs.
Using this as an excuse to come back to soccer with legs twice the size as before( not hard to be twice the size ofmatchsticks) lol.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 09:04:26 AM »
Ryan,

Good luck with your rehab.

Mine is just about to start. Fun fun fun !!!

Will let you know how I go at the surgeon tomorrow.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair