Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kirsty's Left Knee Trochleoplasty Post-Op Diary  (Read 164235 times)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Kirsty's Post-Op Diary
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
Hi Tanya & Joanne,

Thanks for your messages. I am doing quite well, but pretty frustrated that I can't do much at the moment. Just stuck doing knee bending and static quads. Here's my post-op diary for the third day on the ward.

THIRD DAY ON THE WARD

I slept much better the second night in hospital. My pain was much better under control.

After breakfast the physio came to see me. His name was Damon and such an idiot !!! As you can probably tell I didn't like him one bit. For one, he couldn't speak much English and was such a poor communicator. Urrrggghhh !!! He obviously hadn't read my history as he said do you know how to contract your quads. I turned around and said, well I think I know how to do them after 13 years of rehab !!! Hello, where does he think I've been ? Doh !!!!! He also asked whether I'd been up on my crutches and told him I had. Did he think I was stupid or something ?? I'd been up the most on my crutches of all the people in my room. I'm really glad that Abby, one of the other physios had seen me the day before and knew how to hook my legs one under the other to get out of bed from my previous knee operations. Damon wanted me to do some other exercises, but said I had to wait till my knee surgeon came in as he was very specific on me not doing too much. I was glad to see the end of him.

I then had to wait around for my OS to come in. He didn't come in till about 10:45am. I was glad to see him. He said he only wanted me to do quad sets and bending my knee, but not to push it. He just knows me too well and know that I'll push things to the limit. He was very pleased with my progress and think amazed I could do a SLR so soon after surgery. He asked how my nausea was and said I felt heaps better. I told him it felt a lot more stable and he said fingers crossed. I just love my OS as he's so easy to talk to, down to earth and really knows his stuff. He has been my saviour in fixing my knee. I also mentioned to him that I felt my chest infection was coming back which he probably knew about. He said to see how I go on the weekend, do some deep breaths and some coughing and it should clear up.

Before I went home I had to have my dressings changed as I had bled a lot. The nurse looking after us was flat off her feet. It didn't matter as a friend came in to visit me. She was amazed how good I looked. My friend had just been to see my knee physio and he said to say hello. It was good for her to see how good I was so soon after surgery as she is having her knee done with my OS in July, but she has different issues and will be quite extensive. She is having an ACL reco, PCL reco, patella stabilisation and removal of metal as she broke her tibia in a motorbike accident.

My friend offered to drive me home. So, she waited for my dressings to be changed. She want down the chemist to get the script for my pain killers.

The nurse was still pretty tied up while my friend went to the chemist and just started when she came back. The nurse called Dani apologised for taking so long. She was helping Damon, the physio to move Jean out of bed so she could change her sheets. Dani was so concerned about Damon that she was going to report him. Damon was trying to get Jean out of bed by himself, but should have had at least one other person helping him. I am definitely going to tell my OS about Damon when I see him for my post-op review. I really felt for Jean as she was screaming out in pain. It was a relief for everyone once she was out of bed. Anyway, Dani changed my dressing with no problem. She did such a good job. The dressing I had on was totally seeped in blood. It was so nice having a clean dressing on.

After my dressing had been changed I finished packing my bag and then Dani called one of the PSAs to take me down to the car park in a wheelchair.

I was glad to be leaving hospital and on my way home. When we got back to my place my friend helped me get out of the car and got my bags out too.

It was so nice of my friend to offer to drive me home.

After my friend left I had some soup and then slept for the rest of the afternoon. I was still feeling the affects of the general anaesthetic and the pain killers.

It was great to be home.  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:34:47 AM by kjwilkin »
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 01:32:44 AM »
Good story...how are you doing now?  I hope you are still doing well.  You deserve to get back into normal life activities soon!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
Hi Kirsty,
Happy 1 week anniversary!!!! 1 whole week post op and we have both survived thus far - yaaaaay!!!!

Loving your diary, i know its sore to sit for too long at the computer so take your time posting updates, its fascinating stuff!!
xx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Hi Farrah,

Not doing too bad. Been in a lot of pain the last couple of days. Hoping it will settle down soon. It was a big op so I guess I can't expect too much.

Tanya,

Can't believe it's one week today. Just trying to take things easy. Make sure you don't do too much !!! I know you are an eager beaver !!!  :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 12:01:12 PM »
RESTING AT HOME

Since coming home from hospital just been resting, watching dvd's, playing around on the laptop and sleeping.

On Sunday I found it really hard to get up. Think it was the drugs making me feel that way.

Each morning I am getting up, having a shower, getting dressed and having breakfast. I think it's important to be in clothes even if I just lay about watching dvd's etc.

On Tuesday I went back to see my doctor as my chest infection hasn't completed gone and was in agony with my back and shoulder. He thinks that having tubes down my throat for the operation and lying flat in hospital wouldn't have helped. He wants me to have some physio to help me breath properly again. I have to go back and see him next week. Also mentioned about whether he got the message from the nurse before I went into theatre and didn't get it. Could have killed the nurses !!! He said he'd heard how my knee cap came out when they moved me on to the operating table. I am going to definitely tell my OS about that as I really felt like screaming !!! Bad enough going through the op without that crap !!! I have to go back and see my doctor next week.

Also had physio on my shoulder and back on Tuesday after seeing my doctor. He wasn't surprised that I was in a lot of pain with my back and shoulder. He said the crutches wouldn't be helping. I could hardly move my back and shoulder was very tight. Felt so much better afterwards. Still feel sore now, but not as bad as it was. Trying to do my exercises every day. I go back to see him next Thursday. My physio is hoping that once my knee is sorted that my back and shoulder should come good. Fingers crossed, eh ?

I don't think I'm going to be ready to go back to work next week on Friday. Just in too much pain right now. Hopefully it should start to settle soon. Trying to exercise and ice as much as possible.

Just going to chill out over the weekend and watch some DVD's.

I hope everyone is well.  ;) ;) ;)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I went MIA for a couple of days. Been feeling dreadful as my Dad gave me his cold as well as the chest infection I can't seem to shake.

My knee is pretty much the same. Feels a bit stiff and sore.

On the weekend I had a bit of a scare. My left knee cap came out medially. Luckily it went straight back in. Think it's because my quads aren't strong enough. Definitely feels stronger since the surgery and feel it will be so much better when I start physio and strengthen it up again. I'll definitely mention it to my OS when I see him for my post-op appointment.

Am having huge nightmares with TAC approving my surgery. They just keep stalling big time. I am paying for the surgery with my private health insurance, but TAC (an insurance company that pays for medical treatment for people involved in a car accident) are just such a pain to deal with. Now they want an independent orthopaedic opinion and want to confirm with my sports physician what I did in my role as sports trainer before my accident. They've got no idea. It's already been more than 3 months since I saw my OS when surgery was decided. They are supposed to be paying for the surgery as my knee problem was worsened by the accident. They are just so incompetent it's not funny !!

Anyway, hope you are all doing well.  8)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:41:42 AM by kjwilkin »
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »
Kirsty, sorry you haven't been feeling well in more ways than one!  I hope your patella subluxing is just weak muscles!  That's what they keep telling me!  >:(  Tired of it though!  Anyway, I hope your knee pain isn't too bad these days.  It sounds like you are doing okay though.  I hope that your cold goes away fast!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 11:07:52 AM »
Hi Kirsty,
god i cant believe TAC are being such a pain!! its always so hard to get insurance companies to pay out - listen, its all just red tape, it will happen in the end so dont let them get you down - ill be checking my email in a bit - will email you.
xx
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »
Sorry TAC is messing you about. I hope that gets sorted as its a stress you could do without. I hope your cold / chest infection has eased as it woud be nice for you just to concentrate on getting your knee better. I hope the PT managed to ease the back / shoulder pain a little.

I am thinking of you, hang in there  :-* and feel better soon.
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline austinknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 02:38:06 AM »
Hi Kirsty!   I didnt know you have a post op diary!!  Im so sorry...I dropped off the earth and missed your surgery.  Im glad that you got the surgery ok and sound like you are doing very very well!   You are so fresh out of surgery that one pop out of place doesnt sound too worrisome!  I hope that you get well and continue to get better every day!!

:-)
Laura
LR 11/2006
LR Reconstruction scheduled 2/08

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your lovely messages.

Yes, TAC is really stuffing me around. My doctor is sick of them. Will ring them again tomorrow as my doctor has now spoken to them. Hopefully they will make a decision to cover the surgery. Urrgghh  !!!!

I saw my sports physician this afternoon and is pretty pleased with the progress of my knee. He wasn't happy to hear my knee cap had come out. I said it was probably due to my weak quads and agreed. He said the op is meant to make my knee cap sit in the groove properly now. My knee is grating a lot which he didn't like. He said my knee could still be settling down after the op. I'll ask my OS at my post-op appointment next week. I was hoping to get off my crutches, but my doctor said I have to stay on them probably for another 2 weeks. Urrrgghh !!! I was hoping to be off them before my OS post-op appointment, but no luck there. So, hoping to be off them by the 4 week mark. He said I can start weening off them at home, but need to use them when I am out. Will find out when I see my OS next week. Start physio the week after. My doctor also thinks I have a viral infection. He was feeling quite frustrated as I was getting better. He has prescribed me a puffer to take before I go to bed at night.

Laura, glad to hear from you.

I hope everyone's knees are behaving.  8)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 07:01:09 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Today is 2 weeks post-op, it's hard to believe really. Still got some swelling which means I can't get off my crutches. Just a bit frustrating, but we'll get there.

The viral infection has really knocked me around. Haven't been feeling the best, but think I am starting to get better. Just tired of being sick or injured.

Today I had a bit of scare with my dressing and scar. When I was in the shower all this stuff started oozing out of my dressing. Turned out that my scar got wet and was weeping a bit I think. Not sure if it was bleeding too.

I rang my surgeon's rooms and his PA was concerned I'd had my dressings changed so many times on my knee. She said my OS is away till next Thursday. So, she suggested contacting my sports physician and if I had any problems to ring her back. So, I rang my sports physician and asked me to go straight in to see him.

My sports physician had a look and said he thought it was ok and didn't think it would bleed. He put another dressing on it. He said the scar is almost healed, but not quite. So, I am very relieved it's ok. Just scared the daylight out of me, particularly since it's my fifth knee operation on my left knee and don't want to get it wrong this time. My sports physician had a lovely Irish medical student with him. She's doing her final year and the funny thing is she's studying in Scotland. So, a very interesting accent !!!

The plan is to see my OS next Friday, then my sports physician and start physio the following Tuesday. I guess when I start physio I will see more progress.

Today I was pretty annoyed as my boss rang me on my mobile asking why I wasn't starting work tomorrow. I rang him yesterday and told him that I got clearance from my doctor to start on Tuesday as we have a long weekend this weekend. The occupational health nurses have been great and said I need clearance from my doctor before I can start back at work. They have advised me to only start with 4 hours a day in the first week. Just not sure whether that's getting through to my boss. I just tried to call one of the occupational health nurses. Hopefully they'll ring back today or tomorow. The last thing I want is hassles with work. It's give and take, but not going to ruin my health just cause of work. Just not worth it have all the operations I've been through. It should be ok. Just think my boss needs to understand the protocols in going back to work and would be great if the occupational nurse can just reinforce that.

Hope you are doing well.  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 07:06:48 AM by kjwilkin »
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 10:50:11 AM »
Kirsty, I am glad things turned out okay with that incision!  Sorry your work is wanting you back so soon.  Since it's a new job, I bet you are kind of worried about making them not happy with you.  I don't know about where you live, but here they can fire you for no reason at all!  That's only in my state though, not the whole country.  They can say your shoes are ugly, you are fired!  So taking off work for surgery with a new job isn't usually a good option here, but it sounds like it is okay there!!  That's great!  Any word on TAC today?  I hope it turns out for you!

I hope your swelling goes down soon!  It sounds like you aren't in too much pain though...that's important right now, right??  GOod luck!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 09:26:46 AM »
Hi Kirsty,
so welcome to the 'past 2 weeks' mark!!!

well your boss is going to have to accept medical directives, even if he doesnt like it. Unfortunately for him doctors have the absolute final word on these things, so if you are not to star back til tuesday and only 4 hours a day at first then so be it. Ultimately its only a job and your health ranks so way higher on lifes priority list that the gap between the two is vast indeed!!! So get the health back in shape and worry about the job on a 'need to worry' basis - and right now you dont need to worry about it.

You would imagine that ALL bosses would be aware that they have absolutely no say when it comes to what doctors say wouldnt you!!!!
Aw well, dont let it get to you - sure what if you hads an unexpected accident that landed you in a hospital for a few weeks? Work would have to put up with that wouldnt they? It will be fine, he might just be a bit dim about medical problems, he will learn :)
If all comes to all you can have your surgeons rooms write to him or something.

xx

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 09:59:35 AM »
Hi Farrah,

Yes, very glad things with the incision turned out ok. Very relieved. Last time I developed an infection so a lot more aware this time round. In some ways I'm worried about my job, but to be honest my health is more important. I don't want to put myself through another knee op on my left in the near future. So, doing all I can to make sure it's a success. It is very difficult to fire people in Australia. They have to give you 3 warnings I think and have to be good reasons. One thing is for sure, they can not fire you for health reasons. I did warn them before I started that I needed an operation. Unfortunately sometimes you need a bit of extra time after these things. No word on TAC yet, still stuffing around. Will ring them before my OS appointment next week. Just so over it, if you know what I mean.

Hi Tanya,

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Yes, you are completely right. I have to follow doctor's orders and there is no working around that. As my OS is away my sports physician has given me the all clear to start back on Tuesday. If my OS was here he may be much stricter with it. I'm sure my boss wouldn't want to argue with my knee surgeon, would he ? My knee surgeon isn't nice when he gets angry, I've seen it before.

At first I was worrying about it, but really not worth it. My health is so much more important. It's been hard as I've been quite sick while I've been recovering too. My immune system is quite down at the moment I think. If I am ok for work on Tuesday then great, but if not it's not the end of the world. You are definitely right, if I had an accident work would have to suck it up. Guess it's hard as I've only been there a couple of weeks.

Anyway, here's an update on my progress. My bend has almost totally come back, which is just great. I think my OS will be really pleased when I see him next week. My pain isn't too bad, but pretty persistent still. So, have been taking panadol 4 hourly to keep it at bay. My leg feels very weak, but haven't had any more instability episodes which is great. I wonder whether my OS will put me in a brace until I have better muscle strength and control. We'll wait and see.

Still not feeling like doing much because of my viral infection. Last night I did sleep heaps better, which was great. Hopefully I'll sleep even better tonight. I also don't feel like doing much as a result of being on crutches. I find it really tiring.

Will let you know how I go with work on Tuesday.

Have a good weekend everyone.  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:10:36 AM by kjwilkin »
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair