Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR Post-op ... Day17 (acting a fool)  (Read 2953 times)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
TKR Post-op ... Day17 (acting a fool)
« on: August 01, 2003, 03:59:54 AM »
Well--it isn't news that I'm not having a lot of fun right now.  I started my afternoon excursions at the hospital having more bloodwork done--each one of these activities has resulkted in an increase in my coumadin.  Things are not progressing at any decent pace for me at all...My pt looked in my face yesterday and asked "Did the doctor mention the 'm word" to you?"  He wants to give me a couple of more weeks to see if I can get the extension going--hmm, I started at -30, was at -20 yesterday and -19 today.  This is not good enough, obviously,  My extension is staying between 83-88, which isn't great but is far less a concern than this.

Aand today--for the first time ever--I think I made a total and complete fool of myself at pt--it was so awful.  my therapist is sweet and he is trying very hard--but it was too much.  I started out with some stretching and quad sets--and then he introduced me to the e-stim.  After that, I did some long arc quads--and then, it was his turn to do some pushing and manipulating and whatever.  It hurt so bad--I mean it was the worst of all.  My incision didn't care much foir it either and broke open and did some bleeding as well.  He went with 5 seconds of pushing and 5 seconds off--but--well I cried and cried and cried.  It really stunk.  Next, he had me get on my tummy and then he placed my ankle on a towel roll with a weight on it--omg--ouch, that was it--I was ready to chew my leg off...I cried some more.  After my ten m inutes of that--we went to the sled, which was not fun yesterday but after what we did today it seemed easy.  When I got off of there, he told me that he thought we should stop for today and to keep up with my exercises at home--and added the tummy/weight thing and standing stretches to the list.

This seems like pure torture--I never dreaded pt before, nothing has ever hurt like this--and it is making me feel pretty awful.  I clelbrated all of this pleasure by making my hubby take me to ToysRUs and I bought a toy for each of my kids--and that was m own torture cause I walked through the whole store, p'o'd at myself.  And dnow--after another pain pill and more ice--I sam in bed trying to figure out how I'm going to get myself to even try to do any of these things that hurt like this.  It just goes against my grain to push myself into doing something that hurts.

I don't go back to therapy for 4 days (next Tuesday) and I'm wondering if I can push this to being fixed by then so i don't have to go through any more.  does anybody have any ideas that I haven't mentioned on getting extension--I'm up for anything, can't do this anymore.  I'm ready to find the proper kitchen tools to relieve me of this wayward leg.

Thanks, Sylvia
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 03:35:40 AM by admin »
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

ARC

Re: TKR--post-op--day17--acting a fool
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 04:26:00 AM »
Sylvia:
I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time with PT and the thought of a manipulation.  I guess today was the crying day.  I am sending you all the positive vibes I can and praying things start to improve soon for you.
Stay Strong
-Kolleen

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 05:13:57 AM »
Sylvia, that sounds so awful. I've never had PT so I don't know, but it sure doesn't sound helpful. Was PT tough when you had your other knee replaced?

If it wasn't this bad maybe there is a problem and that is why you are in so much pain. Maybe you doctor needs to re-evaluate you and rethink the amount of PT he has you doing. I hope things get better. Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 06:52:46 AM »
Sylvia,

All I can say is just hang in there! I'm sorry you had such a bad day at PT. You really deserve for things to be better than they are-it's just not fair!! As for the weight on the ankle thing, I have seen my PT doing that on other patients. I noticed that over time it really did work for them so just don't give up with that. I really hope that things get better for you soon and PT gets easier for you!! I'm here for you anytime you need me!!

(((Hugs)))
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 08:30:35 AM »
Thansk so much for your encouragement...The pain was so off the chart today that itgot the better of me.  I'm so stiff and sore right now that I can barely stand or move--tomorrow, I intend to tackle this full scale--I have to win a round and turn the tide.  I'd love to go see my pt on Tuesday and be able to straighten this leg. That is my weekend goal anyway--it's worht a try.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Jax

• Regular Poster
  • I REALLY hate my knee!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 02:00:40 AM »
Hey Sylvia,

Sorry to hear that you are having a tough time of it at the mo. As for your PT, don't worry babes, we've all done it. Sometimes it is all just too much. At least you said yours is sweet. Mine is a dragon!!! She told me I was just 'afraid' and if I could stop worrying about it hurting I'd get better quicker. I can't repeat my reply!!

Hang in there. I've no doubt that you will tackle this head on and overcome it...with a positive attitude like yours, you can achieve anything!

Loads of big hugs and happy thoughts... Jax x
Dislocation of R knee 93; Several more 93-95; LR 94; more dislocations/maltracking
Fracture kneecap 96; LR 96; Yet more troubles
TTT and LR May 03. Jul 04 - oh god, the other one has gone wrong now!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 04:04:21 AM »
Thanks for pointing out to e that it could be worse--if  my pt was a dragon it would be time for me to find the padded room.

I'm making a point of things to work this all weekend and as much as I can--trying to get it together before I face therapy again.

Take care--and good luck with your dragon!  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Babsmau

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: TKR Post-op ... Day17 (acting a fool)
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 11:27:03 AM »
I am now 28 days PO and have had awful pain that nothing eased, in the end my gp sugested acupuncture I thought any thing that might help I had got to the stage where if I had a scalpel I would cheerfully had cut it open to relieve the pain or have a different type of pain to contend with so I can feel for you, I have not had any problems with PT what I do is exercises in very short spurts as soon as it hurts I stop then when I go back to it later I try a little longer and I find it helps.
also after four goes at acupuncture I have found my pain has "quietened down " it is more bearable or is it perhaps one gets used to it.
so do hope you get some respite in the not too distant future, colleagueswho have had same TKR tell me it does get better,how long??? luv norfolk dumpling
norfolkdumpling