Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Which Side?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Which Side?
« on: September 23, 2002, 08:28:30 PM »
Hey Guys,

Just a quite, relatively simple question.  During my recovery from surgery/blood clot, I used one crutch for awhile and then a cane for a little while.  I assumed you used the cane/crutch on the side of the injured/sore leg.  For example, my surgery was on my left knee, so I used the crutch on my left side.  This is what felt natural and helped me to walk.  At PT they told me it should be used on the opposite side of the injury.  Is that accurate?  Just wondering.

Thanks.
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

Offline Helen

• Forum Faithful
Re: Which Side?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 10:21:46 PM »
Yes, you use the crutch/cane on the 'good' side and put your weight on that while you move your good leg forward.

Make sense?
Helen
04/07/02 RL - patella tendon realignment, LR and meniscus trimmed. RSD set up home shortly afterwards....typical.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 11:52:49 PM »
Canes get used in the hand opposite the bad leg, and get brought forward WITH the bad leg.  Instead of putting all your weight on your bad leg when you walk, you shift some of it to the cane.  Just like crutches.

One OS I saw wanted me to use a cane when I felt like I needed to limp or if I was going to be walking far, but my right shoulder is shot and it's too painful.  Besides, Helen's right--I'd almost rather carry a crutch than a cane.  They have so much baggage.  It's stupid to be vain, but I can't help it.  I already feel like I'm 80 most of the time anyway, I hate looking it....

However, when I fly in a month or so, I'm seriously considering using a cane so I don't get so much grief for early boarding, and don't get jostled around in the crowds.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 06:41:23 AM »
And when going down the stairs, the bad leg and the cane go down first, than you do the bending with the good knee and try taking a bit of the weight off of it by using your cane for support.  When going up the stairs your good knee goes up first with the bad knee and cane following it after.  Just a little tidbit from cane class 411.

As for ugly "old people" yucky stupid canes...  I've found that using my butterfly cane is a bit less embarassing.  It looks a lot less like an "old lady" cane than my old black wooden one and the foam offset handle is a lot more comfortable.  You can get canes with a bunch of different patterns and styles off of

www.canescanada.com

That is where I bought my butterfly cane from if anyone is interested.

(((hugs))) n' healing everyone

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2002, 07:20:00 AM »
I was taught by my PT when I had the 1st reco. in 1994 the rules to stairs are (good leg to heaven bad leg to hell, ie. when going up stair lead with your good leg, and when going down stairs lead with your bad leg, thus taking some of the weight and not making the bad knee work/bend so much). Hope this helps. I still remeber this now when doing satirs it has just sort of stuck in my mind  ;D.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++