Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: shopping for therapist  (Read 1353 times)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
shopping for therapist
« on: August 01, 2003, 03:22:24 AM »
Hi,
Just wondered how you go about choosing your PT? Do you visit the facility ?Is there a way to try out different PTs? If you have one script and you try a therapist do you have to get another script to try someone else?  ???
Thanx all,  :)
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
`needed and who I wanted.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 02:53:04 PM »
Hi!

I asked my os first of all--about a good provider...Next, I went for some word of mouth from others.  It is amazing how many people you know who have had experience with pt--either directly or through a family member.

This worked out pretty well for me in geting my first therapist--and after that, I knew where I wanted to go and had observed enough while I was there to know what I needed and who I wanted.

I hope this helps some...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

SL99

Re: shopping for therapist
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 07:41:37 PM »
This is completely alien to me, the idea of choosing a PT! Over here, on the NHS at least you kind of take pot luck with the therapist you get. When a doctor or consultant will refer you for PT your form is processed in the department and they send you an appointment with a physiotherapist. I guess the option to change or request a certain PT is always there, but it's hrdaly ever done for some reason - us reserved Brits I guess!!

Good luck finding a good therapist Cat and I hope it all pays off for you too. Take care.

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 07:48:26 PM »
I personally have never gotten the advantage of choosing my own PT although sometimes I wished that I could have, but the office that my os is in has a pt center there so he just automatically always sends me there after surgery, which is probably better since my os is right there in the office incase we need him during pt which had happened quite often :P

Good luck
Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 10:03:30 PM »
Hey-

I got the first PT  after I had a prescriptin written to go to the certain facility by an ortho... I saw her just by  luck, I was put into PT and given whoever had the right time slot available. The person I am with now was reccomended to my by my ortho because the two of them talk on a daily basis and work closely together.

The way it works with me is that we have to have a prescription for each facility, not each PT... so I could see as many people in a group as my doctor and I wanted within the alotted number of visits, but if I wanted to go to a different group I would need a new prescription and referral and all that junk.

Hope that made atleast a little sence!

Emily
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 11:04:40 PM »
Cat,

I know that at my PT facility, they allow people to come in and check the place out if they are thinking of using them for therapy. Just call the facility and ask if you can just check it out and meet the PT before you start.

As for picking a PT, mine was complete luck. I chose my place because it was the closest place to where I went to school at the time. I made a good choice because they are the BEST!!! Several therapists have come and gone while I have been there(4 years on and off) and the new therapists have always been wonderful. There is only one therapist who has been there the whole time I have and right now I'm working with her but when the other therapist comes back from her honeymoon in a few weeks, I'll work with her too. They make me completely comfortable and they always do what they think is best for me and my knee no matter what it takes and I always give people looking for a PT the advice that they need to find someone like that because it really helps. Anyway, I hope this helps!!

Good luck!!
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 12:20:13 AM »
With my first surgery, my OS wanted me to go with the PT in his office. But it was kind of far from my house and I couldn't drive, so I chose to go to another PT closer to home. I was happy with her at the time, but looking back, think she could have worked me a little harder. After my second and third surgeries, my (new) OS told me which therapist she wanted me working with. This worked great, since they were in contact with each other and the PT was at my appointments with me. My current OS (yes, my third) is out of a large university hospital sports med program and requires I go to their PT....which I find to be the best I've had yet. I guess my recommendation would be to ask your OS first!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.