Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: An op' now or later ?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Martin W

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
An op' now or later ?
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:29:47 PM »
Hi. I am new to this Bulletin.  I am 67 years of age. I had an arthroscopy 3 years ago. At the time the Consultant advised that I might need an artificial knee later. He had debrided the torn medial meniscus. There was osteoarthritis in the patella femoral area. ( I quote from the Notes.) I am feeling my knee now a bit but no pain.  Should I go back for an MRI scan ? Should I have a further operation soon or later ? How do I find a VERY GOOD surgeon ?!  Beginning to worry ! Cheers. Martin W 

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: An op' now or later ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 02:48:22 PM »
Hello Martin and welcome to the bosrd.
there is a TKR section that you might get better info in?

Just as far as knee surgeries go I would say generally 'dont do it unless there is no other choice but to do it' - so put it off as long as you can with comfort.

thats a gross generalisation of course - and if you need surgery you need it but if you are pain free id say leave well enough alone and perhaps go for a check up if anything is amiss.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: An op' now or later ?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »
Hi Martin

Trust me you will know when you are in need of more surgery or a new knee cos it will be giving you a lot of pain !!

Hopefully you will get away with it for several more years by having the joint cleaned out a couple more times yet!

There is no harm in going back for an MRI just for your own peace of mind to see the state of play - it doesnt even mean that the person who organises this has to be your final choice of surgeon !

Good luck and hold off as long as you can!

anj

1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

support