Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: how long after surgery should i be able to fully extend my knee?  (Read 983 times)

Offline penelope2903

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I had an arthroscopy back in Jan this year and found to have an 90% rupture of the ACL, a bucket handle tear of the medial meniscus and had microfractures of the tib. After 4 months of Physio therapy I still cannot fully extend me leg resulting in walking with a limp. Does anyone have an suggestions on what I can do? Am currently waiting for ACL recon but am worried it will not be performed until I can straighthen my leg.
Cheers look forward to your replies and advice  ???

Offline reddean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: how long after surgery should i be able to fully extend my knee?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:57:50 PM »
Hi,

I had ACL replacement 7 years ago after also initially having arthroscopy, from what i know i dont think the fact that you cant straighten your leg now would hinder your chanes of surgery.
However any movement and strengthening that you can do now would be beneficial towards your rehab, are you having the ligament replaced or repaired?

I find myself on this website as i have just had another arthroscopy to trim my cartilage again through playing footballand yes iprobably will play again :)

Offline l29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: how long after surgery should i be able to fully extend my knee?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »
hi,
I had the same problem, my bucket handle tear slipped into the joint therefor causing it to lock (not fully extend. I also had a problem before my acl recon but doc said it would be ok because after they do it they bend it and straighten it a bunch of times, while your out of course :) and then the physical therapy after helps with that alot.  If you know you don't have cartiladge that slipped into your joint you can lay straight on your back and take a long band of something, like a scarf and wrap the middle of it around your foot, crisscross it over the front of your foot, extend the leg up and pull the foot towards you (while keeping it straight) this will help straighten you leg. i did 10 reps for about 30 seconds each 2 times a day.

support