Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New to Board!! Two minicus surgeries. Still Hurting  (Read 878 times)

Offline choppin wood

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New to Board!! Two minicus surgeries. Still Hurting
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:40:08 PM »
I am 58 years old. Had a minicus repair in July 2006...did not work..had minisectomy(?) Feb 2007. Have had very few painless days. All pain in back of knee. Some swelling, front of knee and foot. Tryed cortizone shots, pain meds, fish oil and nothing helps. Need to do something? Can work out a little. Very bumbed.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: New to Board!! Two minicus surgeries. Still Hurting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 11:42:16 PM »
Has your doctor discussed a partial or total knee replacement? That would be the next step. I had a PKR which put an end to my knee pain for the most part.

Offline choppin wood

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »
Thankyou for responding. I have not seen a doctor in about 6 months. Will set up another appointment to see what exactly was done the last surgery in technical terms  I can see that part of the solution is to get educated in specifics of the meniscus. i am so grateful to find this community.  I am just going to keep "choppin wood" to reach a solution.
peace  I am located in Central Pa.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »
A meniscus acts as a cushion between your bones. If that's gone then you will have "bone-on-bone" which will get extremely painful. As you have more inflammation it will break the bones down even more. All the injections and supplements in the world will not replace the meniscus. The only solution is an artificial replacement. There are a lot of procedures being researched these days but none are as successful as a knee replacement. I'm sure that day will come. A knee replacement is a last resort but they are very successful for reducing pain. If you can get away with a partial replacement you'll be in even better shape. I had mine just short of my 49th birthday. I know I'll need a revision within 10 years but this is the first time in about 30 years that I've been pain free.

Offline choppin wood

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:56:41 PM »
Thankyou for your response. I can't believe that that is what I will need but will keep my options open as I go forward and know that there is great success in partial replacement. I wrestled all of my life, coached etc and finally had a small tear in my miniscus and it was repaired and apparently okay but I tore it out running to grab my grandson. quick start and quick stop to keep him from darting into a parking lot.y I tore it worse this time. I have to find out what the doctor did exactly the second operation.  thanks for your thoughts.