Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone have Chondral Defect in Trochelear Groove, Help???  (Read 35767 times)

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anyone have Chondral Defect in Trochelear Groove, Help???
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 08:42:55 PM »
Hey Heather,
As far as the Synvisc and the 6 wks strength thing. The Synvisc was still in the period where you have to wait for it to start working. So it could be a combo of the Synvisc and the strength that worked. That is the thought of the pt's.  Yeah probably cause of the two open surgeries it is taking so long for you. Also, it could be if your knee is in pain and has alot of debride floating around. Also, you had a pretty bad patella break.:(

The day after my debridement/scar tissue surgery I started pt and started off course with easy things like straight leg raises. Guess what? I was exercise, the good kind of sore on my quads for the first time in the whole year. I could feel the quads working and the next morning I was exercise sore.  Ironic that I was sore with such an easy thing, when I had been doing squats the week before. Also, I would feel my quad working when doing something easy like riding the bike on 0 resistence. The quads started progressing alot quicker after the debridement/scar tissue removal so hopefully this will happen for you. There is a strength discrepency on quad, hamstring, calf, and glute strength on both sides. With the biggest discrepency being in the quad and calf. The calf because I haven't been able to work it cause of pain. Also, I am still very hamstring dominant and can't feel my quad as much on the badside. i guess I picked up really bad behaviors last year and started compensating with my hamstring. But it is getting better with time. The leg press hurts me when I do it. Does it hurt you? Which one are you doing? The sittiing or laying down one?

I wanted to start a walking regimen on the treadmill but don't do it that much cause it makes my calf hurt. What I am doing is walking forward, backward, and sideways on the treadmill 5 mins each direction. Backward walking is good for the quad without the impact of squats. The sideways is good for the glutes.  Oh yeah I forgot to mention I had a lateral release done with the orginal surgery. Hopefully, my knee wont dislocate.  Hows your IT band? My IT band on the bad side is sore. Uh the calf is still really bad. What to do who knows? But it hurts right at the hamstring attachments on the calf. Have a good day! Summer

Offline heather rae

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Will power....tell the pomeranian to MUSH!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 03:11:31 AM »
Summer:  :)

Wow! I have that same muscle mass/tone/strength deficit from the glutes to the ankle. The entire thing was nothing but skin hanging around the bone when I started, though. It was pretty disgusting. Sounds like you and I share the same PT, LOL!  ;D My land-based regimen included the treadmill in all directions, too. I walk backwards on an incline. I do hold on but, the PT said that's ok. Now I just walk backwards in the pool. Think it's even more of a challenge!   :P

So, I KNEW it! It's possible for the rest of the leg to compensate for the quads. I've been saying that for months. The PT has never outright agreed with it, though. When he had me doing the board push exercise, I only felt the muscles in my good leg working. He did say I was compensating on that one, though. Nonetheless, I can't MAKE my other muscles stop working for the quads. It most likely is the pain that hinders them. You're right about that!!  ;) Thanks, I do hope the clean-up is offered to help move mine along, too. The leg press is the Cybex reclining one. Yes, it does hurt. Sometimes I haven't been able to even do it.  :(

Well, as a general rule, the PT has me withold any exercise that causes pain over a 5 on the scale. Short arc quads and heel touches off a 2 inch board have been the WORST by far. For the most part, I have pain to some degree with everything, though. Even standing still in the pool, while the joint forces are unloaded, I have some pain. It's better than 6 months ago, I'll agree. Mild at rest (unless I've over-done it) and moderate with increasing intensity, it can still get quite bad, with exercise.

So, I have a few questions for you. Do you still have REALLY bad end-range pain with flexion? How about while doing a SLR sitting in a chair? I'm not sure how significant this is but, it's not getting better with time. How would a LR work on someone with a really tight kneecap that maltracks? The PT and OS have both said I need it so, I hope it works. Fingers crossed for you on success with yours, too!! Did it hurt?

About the calf pain you're having, is it stemming from the popliteal tendon? Has the PT said it's tendonitis? If so, I did have that, too. I just kept icing the heck out of it and working those hamstrings. Another thing you may want to consider for calf strength is the Baps Board. My quad tendon stays in a constant state of inflammation. Maybe cold laser treatments would help as an adjuvant. Skinnycats says it's great!!  ;D

They have stretched me into a pretzel in loosening up the IT band. It's not sore unless I've been exercising anymore but, it's still tight. It hurts from cycling yesterday, Ew!! The rectus femoris is even more tight!! Stretching/bending the knee while face down, it feels like the hip's gonna pull out of the socket. You, too?

OK, 1 more question today, hope ya don't mind? Do you have pain that limits your ability to walk around with minimal sitting all day now? I just need to somehow be able to get back on my feet at work for 9+ hours 5 days/week and possible 12-16 hour shifts, too. I need a miracle!!  :-\ Take care and hope to hear from you soon!!

Heather  ;D
5/10/07- Comminuted-20 frag., displaced L patella Fx
5/15/07- ORIF L patella, Bledsoe brace, crutches
7/07- PT 3X/week
8/07- Brace off, ambulate without crutches
9/27/07- Hardware removal, MUA, crutches x 8 wks 
6/08- J-brace for lateral maltracking, Cont. PT
8/08- Referred to soft tissue OS

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 05:54:00 AM »
Hi Heather,
Its funny that you ask about the pain when sitting. The thing is I don't know the answer to that question yet because sitting makes my calf hurt so bad. I have been trying to aviod it. At this point, the minutue I sit for over an hour it starts making the calf hurt more. However, from what I can tell I can sit without knee pain. I also, need the standing all day long and walking miracle too! Standing in a still position makes my calf hurt so i have been trying to avoid that. Especially if I am hyperextended. I can walk though all day as long as i am wearing comfy tennis shoes. i cannot walk all day with anything else not even flats. I have had to work up to that. In the beginning after surgery it hurt after walking around for a couple hours. So I just added time slowly and now i can go all day. And not even think about icing ;D I haven't been able to work cause of all of this and am applying for jobs that require walking now. I'm a little scared of how the knee will react if i do that much walking 5x a week. You can definately be compensating with other things. Everyone kept tellling me you can't last year but its true according to my new pt's. I think thats why i may have developed hamstring tendonitis. I also have pain in the popiteal sometimes. How do you know if it is the popiteal tendon vs. the hamstring tendons? what is a BAPS board? I do not have pain at end range flexion. When your asking about slr from chair do you mean sitting in a chair and donig a straight leg raise. If thats the case, i do not have pain with that. I wondering why your quad tendon is in a constant state of inflammation? Has your pt or dr said? I had a LR along time ago with the orginal surgeon who messed up my knee. and it did hurt. but i don't know if its cause he wasn't good a surgery. I have heard quite a few horror stories about my old OS. A question for you does your ankle and achilles tendon hurt sometimes. Mine has started to hurt. uhhh My calf pain was so bad today that it was hurting when riding the bike. i had to bump it down to 0 resistence when i have been using 6-7 resistence. Is your popiteal tendon pain all the time. Mine started off as sometimes and now it is almost constant.  Take care, Summer

Offline heather rae

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »
Hey Summer:

I HAVE to wear my tennis shoes when doing any kind of lengthy walking or exercising. I wear Shox, love em!! Flats, barefoot, flipflops, etc cause more knee pain. I'm relatively ok for about an hour in the store but, my home regimen is better in walking down the farmer's lane. Guess it's because dirt gives, ya know? This is the way it goes, it starts out as pressure (medial, at the base, and deep inside the knee) the minute I stand up. Then, the pressure becomes quite painful the longer I'm walking. It eventually just makes me sit right down where I'm at.

The tendon that runs over the popliteal space does come from the hamstrings. I believe it stems from semitendinosus. Tendons connect muscle to bone so, I'd have to review my anatomy a bit before I could elaborate more. The way the everything is interconnected, I'm not surprised that you have calf pain. Are there any surgical solutions in addition to the PRP injections? My ankle used to hurt alot back near the achilles tendon but, not anymore. The Baps Board, I'm conviced is what helped me the most. It's a flat round device that you step onto with the injured leg and rotate it in circles. There's a series of half balls that screw into the bottom of it and pegs on the top so weights can be added. It's pretty hard to do but, it gets better.

Well, now that you've mentioned it, I'm wondering if the pain I have in the front explains my shin pain. My calf is still quite a bit smaller than the other one and there's a dented in area on the lateral side. Surely the quad tendon had to have been damaged in how hard I hit my knee, the tendon runs right over the patella, too. My incision scar runs right over it, too. Thinking it's scar tissue around it, the tendon itself is really thick and cord-like. YUCK!!  :( 

The reason I asked about knee pain while sitting, standing still, and doing a SLR from the chair is because my OS asked me about it the day he referred me to the new one. He said it's PF arthirits and that's bad news if I have pain with those things. Propping it up still makes all the difference for me, hopefully for your calf pain, too!! Maybe backing off from some of the weighted exercise and doing more stretching might help it. Gosh, you've been through alot and it's terrible that the calf is hindering you!!

I hear you on the going back/forth with exerces. I've bumped up and had to back off so many times, it's not even funny. Patellar fractures are just lovely rehabbing, aren't they?  :P Maybe you do better in just sticking with water PT, too? Do you have that option? I love it!! Take it easy there and hope ya get to feeling better. It's a therapy day for me AND it's raining, UH OH! No wonder I was up/down all night!! TTYL!  ;D

Heather

7/07- PT 3X/week

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 07:05:10 AM »
Hi Heather,
Oh my gosh. I can't believe how much we are the same. My ankle and achillees tendon has started to hurt to. But I also, have a hypermobile which is contributing to my problems. I know exactly the pressure you are talking about. I used to get before my chondroplasy/scar tissue removal surgery. And even after I got that surgery until I gained more quad strength. Yeah propping it up does help my calf. In fact thats the only way I am not in pain with the calf. Yeah when looking at knee anatomy, it looks like the calf pain is coming exactly from the tendon. Uh those things take along time to heal from what I have heard. Are you excited that your  appt. with the  OS is coming up. Hopefully, he can come up with something to take away the pain. Hey did you have an MUA too? -Summer

Offline heather rae

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »
Howdy Summer:  ;D

I'm so glad to hear you had relief from this painful pressure after sugery!!! YAY! Maybe it will happen for me, too. I have HOPE now!!  ;D The pain behind the kneecap is the worst, knife-stabbing kind when tightening those mushy quads. Surely it took the procedure to help you get your muscle back, too. The PT said I need to have it done to continue progressing.

Was your kneecap REALLY tight, too? Mine barely moves in any direction. Seems to be a problem. My OS mentioned a medial/lateral release. So, I am convinced that's why my knee still feels really tight, even though I have decent ROM. Thought maybe I was hyperextending, too. The quads are sunken in and the knee protudes. Extension is still 0, though. Whew!! How is hypermobility fixed permanently? Would a stabilization technique work?

Yes, I had that nasty MUA the day my hardware was removed. Felt like I'd been beaten with a baseball bat. Bruising and swelling like I'd never seen before!!  :o It is strange how the doc can get soo much flexion with that but, it took me FOREVER to get it to go that far on my own... like 8 months.

Doesn't it just suck with all the co-injuries that patellar fractures causes? I think that healing a badly comminuted fracture was the easy part. The other things hang around and are so nasty to deal with. Have you been diagnosed with patellofemoral arthiritis too? Tendons are quite tricky to deal with, too. My quad tendon is STILL very tender to touch it. Have you had any iontophoresis treatments in the hamstring or achilles tendons? Hope they get better!!

I'm excited to hear what suggestions the new OS may have. I have a feeling that he'll most likely follow what my OS said he'd do. It's the same thing they've done for you. Guess it's going to depend on how deep those lesions are and what areas are involved now. I'm still scared, though. Feels like I'm facing doomsday, here we go again!! Ever feel like that?

Take care of that calf and don't push it too hard, ok? Thanks goodness propping and ice finally give me a little relief, too. Had a pretty tough night last night though. I think you're right about the rain!! UGH!

TTYL  ;D ~ Heather
7/07- PT 3X/week

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 03:46:45 AM »
Hey There,
Yes my knee was tight, but it was because it was jammed full of scar tissue everywhere. You know my MUA cause all my cartiledge damage. Was yours caused by that or the bone break? Yeah I had to get the surgery to see any progress with my quad. I don't know how hypermobility is fixed, but really don't want surgery now if I can avoid it. I guess strenghtening would help from what I heard. Yes I agree the pain behind the kneecap is the worst. I hope you get relief with the surgery. Yeah tendons are hard to deal with. Hope you are having a pain free good day today! Summer

Offline heather rae

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »
Hi Summer:  ;D

Well, my OS mentioned the cartilage damage at my first visit after the ORIF. The MUA very well could have increased my damage, too. The OS has always said it was bad and he can't repair it so, I was just assuming it couldn't be. He just kept telling me to strengthen the quads and it might get better... until now. At the same time, he also mentioned a trial of Synvisc and a scar tissue clean-up. For some reason now, he doesn't think either will help much. So, he's referred me to someone else to get their opinion. It was then that he finally told me soft tissue repair is not his specialty, he's more of a "hardware" OS. The PFJR would be a workable solution... guess I'll know for sure in a few days. Have you ever heard of so much going back/forth with possibilities?

How many PRP treatments have you had? I'm wondering if it's something that takes a while before you  get some results. Have you ever had laser treatments? The ionto is a topical steroid that's fed into the tendon by an electric current. I've had 3 rounds of it and the tendon only hurts now when I touch it so, it's better. Has ultrasound been used of the calf? Might work, it would be worth trying. I've also used my Lidoderm patches for muscle pain. Works better on muscle than it does for the knee, too.  ;)

Hope you're able to continue stengthening and dodge that surgery. Fingers crossed for you!! Take care and hope you have a better day with your pain, too!! TTYL  ;D

Heather
7/07- PT 3X/week

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 11:59:25 PM »
Hi Heather,
I believe you when u say going back n forth with so many possibilites. From my experiences, unfornatenely not good with OS, they don't seem to know exactly whats wrong. When it came to my knee I went for 4 different opinions and no one knew. And Dr. Steadman looked at the same MRI and my knee and he knew right away. My OS did a really aweful thing where he told me that he does MUA's all the time. And then when the cartiledge showed up damage he was like I don't do it that often. He was really unethical. And even when my pt told me that he thinks something is wrong my OS brushed it off as u need more muscle. I think cause u r so young they prob will do a chondroplasty with injections of synvisc after. They probably will wait to do PFJR till its a last resort. Do you know what grade your damage is?

I have had two PRP injections and it is definately something that takes time cause it stimulates the tendon to heal. I might get another one at the next appt. We will see. It is better than before. My pt did not want to do ultrasound on it cause he doesn't think it works. I have taken antiinflammatories and also ice/ionto to without success. Ice helps numb the pain but I am not allowed to use that now because of the PRP injections. The Lidoderm patches totally work on my tendon. Did they work on yours? But I'm afraid of using it too much and then overdoing it at pt and tearing the tendon or soemthing. Good luck on your upcoming appt. Let me know what he says.

Offline heather rae

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 02:07:57 AM »
Hey Summer:

WOW! That really sucks that out of 4 opinions, no one knew what was wrong. Makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with them. I'm only a nurse but, I can guess that scar tissue would be a logical culprit just to start. Sorry, I'm venting but, it makes me mad for your sake and the frustration you must've had. Glad you gave it one more shot with Dr. Steadman! You even proved the PT wrong, atleast partially.

Well, I can atleast say my doc knows what's wrong. He's just not the expert in repairing it unless I need the PFJR. Then, I would go back to him for that. I asked what grade it was and if the bone was exposed. He pointed to the trochlear grove on his chart and said that's what you've smashed the kneecap against and the force it took to shatter the bone to bits. The cartilage is much softer than bone and was badly chewed up. So, he never did give me a grade on it. No wonder it maltracks and grates with all that gunk, right? The PT is also very suspicious of the cartilage on the medial condyle.

So, about the MUA. There are many complications that can happen with it. Were you fully informed? If not, have you considered a lawsuit? My ROM was sooo bad, I didn't have much of a choice. Honestly, the CPM would've been a kinder way to go. We fracture folks just don't get that lucky most of the time.

I was trying the Lidoderm patches when I had my last round of ionto treatments. I had it scheduled so the patch came off for 12 hours when the ionto patch was due to go on for 2 hours. Maybe it really was the combination of both that helped the constant tendon pain? Hey, I say whatever works, ya know? Jeans bother it more than anything now, though.  :P I have used them on the hamstrings and calf since then and they DO work on muscle pain!!  ;D

Hope you're able to keep up the injections. Sounds like they may be starting to work. I've also considered it for the quad tendon. I am going to ask the new OS about it, too. For now, I'm still icing. Sorry that's been banned for you, I'm FINALLY getting some relief with it for a little while. If you keep your patch on, just be careful. Atleast they work for something, right? Hope ya get some relief!! Take care and I'll chat with ya later!!  ;D

Heather
7/07- PT 3X/week

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 06:48:49 AM »
Hi Heather,
I am glad that your OS knows whats wrong and your cartiledge problems were not caused by the MUA. Oh my gosh, your break sounds so painful along with the cartiledge. Its no wonder you are still in pain. You appt. is very soon. Yeah! It's good you are a nurse, helps you understand everything that is going on better than most people. I was not informed of the consequences of the MUA, but I hear a lawsuit against Dr.'s is hard to win. And at his point, I just want to get better and not deal with anymore. You know what I mean. I read an article about how they are using prolotherapy for cartiledge issues. But it seems a little experimental still Actually read it on the plane ride to my Dr.'s appt. Also, there are some Dr.'s studying stem cells. Hopefully, there will be good options for us later on down the road. Guess what I am having a really good day. No calf pain. I'm wondering if the injections themselves are causing me bad pain for 3 weeks. Cause after my first round I felt the best at 3 1/2 weeks. And its the same case after the second round. I hope it stays this way.:) Jeans bother mine too, but its probably cause my jeans dont fit. I have gained weight:( UH! ha ha. Yeah the injections probably would help with your quad tendon issues. I would think. Good luck with your appt! Summer

Offline heather rae

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »
Hi Summer:

Glad you're having a better pain day!! YAY! Have you mentioned the 3 wk time frame to the doc? It may be normal, hope so! Are you going to continue with them? Sound like you've found something good!!!  ;D

I'm having a bad pain day. I was stupidly talked into going to a haunted house last night and whined in pain the whole time. Chainsaw even came running through the line and I didn't even flinch. My husband made sure I didn't fall but, it really messed with my balance. Today, I'm swollen and hurting. I even wore the J-brace, I'd hate to see how I'd feel if I hadn't!  :o It was funny to hear the monsters ask if I was ok as I limped through that mess! LOL!

Can you update me on prolotherapy? I've researched stem cell injections, though. Very interesting that they're having success with up to 30% cartilage regrowth!!! YAY! Hope it will be a solution for us, if joint replacement is in our future. It may very well be the key to eliminating the need. I had a quadraplagic pediatric patient who went to Portugal for stem cell injections. I saw her a few months later and she was regaining use of her hands/arms! Phenomenal!!  ;D

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about wanting to avoid the stress of lawsuits. I could've sued Ford's because of faulty airbags and the sealbelt didn't lock. I did tell them about it and they were supposed to check it out at the salvage yard. I would just like to see their products improved and... of course, recover from this dilemma myself, too!

Thanks for the well wishes with my upcoming appt. Think I'd be all good if the OS didn't HAVE to touch my knee, though. I really do hope he has all the answers. Guess my OS has been right in saying "Hey kid, you can't go around "smooshing" your kneecap on dashboards and expect to walk away from it easily".  I'll keep you posted after I get the scoop from the doc. Take care and try not to over-do it, there ok? Gets me in trouble every time. Hope your pain stays away!!! Chat with ya later...

Heather ;D
7/07- PT 3X/week

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »
Hey Heather,
Oh no, sorry you are in pain. Ice, ice, ice! Do you still have to use pain meds sometimes? The prolotherapy article just said that they were having success injecting it into people knees to regrow cartiledge. Did not have percentages or studies on it. I wonder if that might be an option for us later? Wow that is amzaing about the pediatric patient! Good for them. Oh my gosh, I didn't realize your airbags or seatbelt didn't look. I'm sorry. That is so unfortunate. Good luck at the appt. Let me know what happens. -Summer

Offline heather rae

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
Hi Summer:

I went straight to icing after that little adventure. I alternate with warm water sometimes, too. It helps muscle fatigue and the ice helps the knee inflammation. You'll commonly find me with icecubes massaging around the knee while I'm still in the tub. Less mess!  ;)

Well, I've been afraid to try any of the pain meds with the meds I take now. These still cause mental fogginess and make me tired so, narcotics would compound that. The doc did say I could try them together but, I'm scared to. NSAIDS don't help and just make me really nauseated so, it's best I stay away from them. Can you take them?

I hope your pain is still minimal today. My swelling is back down because I stayed off the leg yesterday. Wierd how that puffiness right above the kneecap just blows back up so fast!! I did a little bit of walking and stretching yesterday afternoon to work on the tightness. Even that was enough to make it get hot and painful again so, I'm still down today. Chewing off my nails thinking about tomorrow... yikes!! I'll let ya know what the boss says. Really hope he doesn't push it too badly. Take care and TTYL!!

Heather
7/07- PT 3X/week

Offline heather rae

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »
Hi Summer:  ;D

How are you? I'm a bit frustrated but, my PT is even more so. Here's the scoop. Well, I saw the new doc.. ummm this is interesting, I have good and bad news.

The good news is that I've dodged surgery for now. Absolutely nothing he can do until my quads get better, even injections won't work. Despite having had continuous PT since July 2007, he wants me to see his PT there 1x/week and give it a shot. Also, the only compartment that looks to be trashed, according to the x-ray, is the PF one. So, I'm still spinning my wheels with PT.

The bad news is I will likely not be returning to my previous nursing position. No more pushing med carts and assisting with patient transfers etc. for me. I was encouraged to begin exploring other avenues, I'll still off until I'm fully rehabbed, though. The snapping is scar tissue around the fat pad and the painful grinding is what it is. My other patella jumps the track, too. Those quads, however, are already like rocks!! Not sure how that'll be improved. That knee hurts on a random basis off/on.

So, I've updated my PT today about the appt and his exact words were "Does this new PT walk on water?" He's very upset because his intelligence/experience and diligent efforts to successfully rehab me have proven what results I'm going to have. He doesn't feel the quads will get any better until the knee is repaired. I guess it makes sense because the rest of the leg/hip/ankle is coming along fine. He's asked to see the dictation from this appt so, maybe he has a plan. Not sure? Good grief, I AM at my wits end.

If I have one determination still about me, it's the fact that I refuse to be told to just live with the pain. I will keep trying until a solution works for me.

I hope you're still doing as well as you can be and, I hope to hear back from you really soon! Take care!  ;D

Heather
7/07- PT 3X/week