Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Crepitus, grinding and popping...  (Read 8923 times)

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Crepitus, grinding and popping...
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »
History: Male. 24 years old. Very physically active. Had MACI on MFC ~ 6 months ago and ACL replacement ~ 12 months ago. No pain, full flexion + extension, great muscle mass, no visible  swelling (though some internal), no heat. Exercise included: swimming, cross trainer, usual pilates style leg strengthening exercises and spinning (only recently, as this is really quite intensive exercise).

Recently had some grinding noises coming from my knee - not from where the graft lives (which should grind over the 0 - 5 degree range, due to the position of the graft) but when my heel touches my bottom (at around 130 - 135 deg range). No pain at all, just a horrible noise. It seems to be coming from my patella tendon and patella itself. This makes me think that it is some final bit of swelling causing some mis-alignement etc.

Does anybody have any experience of this type of noise and what could be causing it. I've made an appointment with my PT, but was just curious and would like to put my mind at ease...

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Crepitus, grinding and popping...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:28:11 PM »
I had similar (acl recon) and have a pop in that region. To the left of my kneecap in the groove on my right knee and a little below it. I think mine is either my graft catching from scar tissue or scar on or around tendon. Had 4 different OS's check it out and it is nothing serious but it is annoying. I also have no swelling. Annoying as heck though!
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:02:28 AM »
Hey Charles. First time back on these boards for a while. Things are going good but as other people im sure, i have visited here due to some wierd noises. These are comign also from the patella region which is very very strange. The graft site itself is doing well (although a little painful today for some strange reason), so can not complain about that. I read your post about running and playing rugby. Is it really 18 months before you can start to run?? I have not even dared do that but that seems quite far away compared to other rehab protocols i have seen.

G

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »
Gareth,

Saw Fred this morning, showed (well, made him listen to) the grinding. He did some tests, and thinks the grinding is actual the patella (and patella tendon rubbing over the bursar sack, which has become slightly dried out. Nothing to do, but wait for the leg to be right again. Something to do with the operation disturbing the femoral nerve, which, when disturbed, inhibits the growth and repair of muscle / tissue.

He said I could go back to my normal rehab regime.

As for the running, 18 months may have be slightly pessimistic, but I've got time on my side, so i'll keep away from the impact sports until the last minute. He mentioned me being able to ski around March 09, which would be 18 months post op (and 2.5 years post injury)...

C

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »
Ahhh well at least that is good news. The "grinding" sound comes and goes so im not to worried about it. I must admit tho that things feel great one day and then a little bit worse the next. I keep telling myself its a long road and things will be up and down for the next year or so. It has got to the stage now where i go to break out into a small trott and have to stop myself.........lol.....which is why i wondered about the 18 months thing. Im not sure i could wait that long to run. Its been 6 months now and im already dieing to get back to jogging. AHHHHHHHH

Im due to go see Fred and Tim on the 3rd of July (8 month mark). Im sure ill have more news then on where i should go with rehab, as i feel i have hit abit of a stagnant area.

G

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:40:56 PM »
Hi guys,
I also have some weird grinding that is no where close to my ACI graft.  My surgeon thinks it is patellafemoral and that is is related to muscle imbalance or that the otsteomy that I had may be putting some extra pressure on the outside of the kneecap.  I have weird grinding and clicking noises when I do squats.  I am going to try a brace that gives my kneecap support to see if it helps.  What are you guys doing activity wise?  I am seven months post-op and my OS just cleared me to "try" some light hiking on level terrain.
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline bb_forrest

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »
Well mine makes noises when I'm coming down the stairs in the house....but apart from that not really any.

My rehab has been slow but is now speeding up as I'm allowed to do leg extensions at the gym which has helped dramatically over the last 2 weeks I've been allowed to do it, now feel like I am getting some strength in the leg.

I cannot see me trying jogging before next year although my physio has given me permission to go hillwalking in mid-late August.

Given that I live on a hill that is 9% they cannot really go on about slopes otherwise I'd never leave the house....

Have been cycling (flat) and that's ok apart from straining the ligaments due to lack of strength, wonder if I tried it now whether it would be better.

Slow and steady does it everyone, keep well.

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:26 AM »
Hi all, Sounds like this is not a singlular occurance but something that is quite common for ACIers. Personally i think i have a slight over growth on the graft site. 2 reasons i think this:
1 - i can actually feel a lump at the defect area.
2 - i can feel the knee almost clicking, but not quite when walking down stairs.

Other than that, the grinding in hear very occasionally is in frequent and not that bad. So im not to worried about it. Activity wise im walking about an hour and a half a day (to and from work) and there is quite a nice little hill in that to :)   And lots of wii fit ha ha......this may sound strange but it actually is helping. There is no impact on most of the games, and after the firsrt go my bad leg was in absolute bits and so sore the next day. For those who have not heard or seen it, it works almost like a wobble board, but without wabbling, making you concentrate your muscles to move your boday where you want. Constant tensing is required and damn its good lol......never thought id get a work out from a game  ;D

Im hoping to get on a bike properly in the next month or so (ill be 8 months post op then and would have seen Mr Briggs and Fred for the go ahead), and will keep you posted. Over all im very happy with the ACI, but lets see how it is after the year and a half it takes to mature fully.

G

Offline bb_forrest

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »
At the moment I can live with the noise due to the lack of pain I am in compared to pre op!

Range of movement is now if I kneel down my bum is about 1 inch off my heel.

Still bits of swelling but as I get muscle growth this is disappearing.

Offline Gibbon35

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 03:49:18 PM »
Good news all. Just to give you all an update on noise, swelling and any other bad things. The noise i hear is pretty much gone. Nothing is causing me any discomfort or pain at the moment. It feels like the other knee......which is a real pain as i keep finding myself nearly breaking into a trott of some kind and then thinking NO NO i must not ha ha. what sorts of activity are you guys up to now?

G