Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 8 days after surgery for fractured patella  (Read 1443 times)

Offline kristaknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
8 days after surgery for fractured patella
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:29:54 AM »
Hi there, I fractured my patella horizontally 8 days ago. I had surgery and now have a brace and 15 staples. I am wondering if anyone knows the norm of a timeline to have your staples removed? Also if it hurts to have them removed? How long do you need to wear this full leg brace, some of the reading I have done show that you can get a brace so that you can bend a little bit, is that true? I didn't really get any infomation from  my doctor except to come back in three weeks. Any information would be helpful. Thanks so much.

gigi67

Re: 8 days after surgery for fractured patella
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
  YOU asked:
Hi there, I fractured my patella horizontally 8 days ago. I had surgery and now have a brace and 15 staples. I am wondering if anyone knows the norm of a timeline to have your staples removed? Also if it hurts to have them removed? How long do you need to wear this full leg brace, some of the reading I have done show that you can get a brace so that you can bend a little bit, is that true? I didn't really get any infomation from  my doctor except to come back in three weeks. Any information would be helpful. Thanks so much. 

Well over a year ago i fractured mine also..snapped it into..do you have pins and wires?? Im assuming you do.... my staples came out...i believe about 3 weeks also...no it didnt really hurt too much...just kind of a pinchy feeling here and there but if you remember the pain when you fractured your patella...nothinhg will b like that..thats the 2nd worst break you can ever have...seriously.... I was in my immoblizer for two months...some do have a brace that the OS will angle as you go but in my case I couldnt have one of those I had to stay in a straight immobilizer for two full months and  after about a month he let me kind of take it off when i was sitting still in my recliner or in bed but only after about a full month but i can remember still being in the immobilizer part of the time ( when walking) for up to 3 months altogether..I was no weight bearing for 2 months then partial only. Heres some things to ask your OS:

ask about" getting a temporary handicap parking sticker,  home health/ home rehab getting you a bedside toilet, shower seat, leg strap, and get a script from your OS for a wheelchair...man oh man they help out alot...they help you to be able to help yourself more...do things like go to the kitchen and get yourself something to eat, etc...I slept in a recliner in my living room with my bedside commode in the living room...you will need to sponge bathe for a looong time...sorry thats the way it is...eventually you will be able to slide onto a shower seat with assistance but not for a while  actually dont wait for apt call you OS today and ask about : home health/home rehab to help you learn daily activities and bedside commode( unless your bath room is close by you) do you have someone to help you????
Heres some tips:
 keep bottles of water close by you, easy snacks like granola bars, fruit...eat lots of fruit!!! cant stress that enuff...actually I craved fruit like mad when i broke mine.....because your body really needs vit c right now...helps the bones heal....and WATER...lots of it.....  and you may want to consider drinking prune juice from the effects of narcotics and anesthesia
ask you Os about doing ankle pumps, and gently pressing your knee down into your bed....dont try it without permission first!!! If you are  on cumadin for blood thinnning after surgery  hold off on citrus fruits  and green veggies but eat others like grapes, strawberries, .
You can place a chair or stool in kitchen to make simple meals for yourself . put things in bags to carry with your crutches or walker...if you have a walker and sew or know someone who sews you can make a simple bag to carry things in with your walker. I kept a big basket near my recliner with baby wipes, lotion, brush,floss, a trash can near by.
 you will need help washing you hair at first until you can stand longer...I kept my hair in a bandana the first months just to make it easier on myself.....make a list of things to ask about at your next apt but call today and ask about home health/ home rehab coming out to show you different ways to ambulate or even a certain way you can lift your leg easier, etc  and they can get you a special strap for you to lift your leg...get that wheelchair script...youll b glad you did!!!!
 sorry you had to find this forum but you can and will get through this.....keep us posted on your progress and ask for any help/ suggestions...these were just a few to get you going...also keep a small stool by your toilet to prop your leg up when you sit on the toilet...itll feel better that way...eventually I was able to sit on my toilet and do a
make shift bath in my bathroom sink but at first others helped me sponge bathe on my bedsie commode and a bowl of water..... once the staple come out you will be able to take  open your brace thorugh the day...while sitting only and only with Dr permission and gently rub the leg with some lotion...it will feel sooooo good...so will your first real bath!!!
meanwhile...drink lotsa water, eat lotsa fruit n healthy wholesome things high in protein...write down any questions you think of while your sitting around, ect for your OS
 and come her often to learn, ask, get support, etc......nice to meet you by the way!...oh if you notice with time your brace is getting kind of gross....lysol it...thatll help with the odor anyway LOL  :P

look for your posts as you progress....

Offline kristaknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 02:02:10 AM »
Thanks so much for all of your help. It is much appreciated. Yes, I have wire and 15 staples. No pins. It was a horizontal break. I have actually successfully switched from the walker to crutches today, only because my arms were killing me. What a tricep workout. Anyway, I went down the stairs for the first time today and found I had no problem going up but major problems going down. I had to sort of go sideways because my leg is straight. Any suggestions for that? Other than that, showering continues to be a challenge, I keep getting water on my brace. I put a garbage bag on and tape the sucker but somehow water keeps getting in the back...... I have lost 10 pounds in 9 days and I am not having a whole lot of appetite. I am starting to stress about getting my staples out, I am so afraid of more pain. But I am looking forward to a bathe. Thanks for your kind words, this site has given me so much useful information. Krista

gigi67

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »
hmmm I didnt have to do stairs on crutches when I was  still in a brace but when I had to try them without the brace and even now....ummm  can you go down on your rump...like sit down and kind of inch off them sitting???? Is your good leg strong enuff to squat down that low??? It depends for me on the depth of the stairs whether or not I can do that...another thing I still do with stairs is have my soon or husband go in front of me and I wrap my arms around their neck and hop myself down as they hold onto the rails with at least one hand while using the other to help stabilize me... or....place your crutches on the step below you , stick your bad leg out a bit,,,,carefully and slowly hop down on your good leg but alwasy have crutches on the step below you dont try to leave them on the step your on...if you have handrails on both sides you may find its easier to use them instead of the crutches to lift yourself up better. going up of course you leave your crutches on the step your on...and hop up to the next or perhaps if you can again sit and go up them backwards..about the shower...see I wasnt ( and most arent) allowed to shower until the staples came out and was totally non weight bearing for the first 2 months so i was too scared to stand on one leg in  the shower so i used the shower seat but still not for the  hmmmm 6 weeks before I even used the shower seat because my incision had to be completely closed and I had a problem with my  body spitting out the stitches so i had these really gross open wounds that looked disgusting where the stitches were trying to absorb against my bodies determination to reject them ::) soooo...even though you dont have an appetite( prbably the drugs if youre taking them) it is important for your bones to heal that you eat....you need to feed your healing bones properly....at least drink ensure or something with protein and vitamin c and calium and vitamin D...and water! dont stress about the staples too much....but I understand the fear of pain...its weird we experience pain al our lives but after the pain of breaking the patella and usually whatever trauma that caused the break we do develop a fear of pain...I rememebr having panic attacks whenever I would try to walk the first few months really or when someone was pushing me in my wheelchair down the sramp...I would have these panic atacks and cry from the fear of getting hurt again...I honestly thought i was gonna have to go to counseling from the extreme fear I was having...eventually that subsided but i am still very protective of myself if i think someone may bump into me or if I almost fall again...like almst slip I will scream..I dont mean to its just my mind recalling that dreadful event over a year ago.... like a post trauma syndrome or something.. again .the patella is the 2nd worse break there is as far as pain goes so fear of pain is pretty normal after this. ..anyway hang in there  and congrats on graduating to crutches already...yes those arm will kill you!! yow! I remember crying from the soreness in my shoulders and arms the first few weeks....geez was I a cry baby or what...  :-\
well actually I was back then for sure  now, Ive been on these stupid crutches over a year...man the area between my shoulders hurts sooo bad I can barely breath in deep at times...my wrists are worn out too but  I am down to one crutch now and working towards no crutch...  ;D
BUT Ive had alot of other problems than just the patella so dont be discouraged by my story that sounds bad sorry.... i have alot of other things since then  I had come off the crutches for about a month before other things happened so thats why Ive been on them so long. But I gotta get ready for rehab so i need to run. BYe!

Offline kristaknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:38:21 AM »
Well..... I had the staples out last Friday and it was not that bad at all. More of a mission getting in and out of the vehicle, but managed. Went to the surgeon today and got a new brace and he said everything looked good and I could full weight bear, but I am pretty nervous about that. He also said at 6 weeks post op I could sleep without my brace on and keep it off in controlled areas... When did you start driving? Thanks again!  Krista

gigi67

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »
well I  was a little different...umm i was non weight bearing in a straight brace for 2 months...so i couldnt drive until about then either...actually i didnt drive for even longer than that because of the brace being so straight....I could sleep without it after 6 weeks and take it off while just sitting around but all in all my brace didnt come off until..lets see .. 6 weeks inot it they discovered my foot had also been broken but was technically healed but I had to wear a shoe plus my immobilizer...then the immobilizer came off but i was in a boot for extra protection due to several foot problems I had...so the immoblizer came off  2-3 months so I recall i was driving in my boot so that would be 3 months. wow that took a lot of effort to remembr..lol :)

BUT everyone is different so you may be able to drive sooner...maybe at two months??? ask your OS when u see him next glad the staples r out n it went well!!!!!!!  that feels so good  doesnt it??? have a great day!

support