Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Better Unloader Brace?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Cohiba767

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Better Unloader Brace?
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »
I'm new to this and am considering an unloader brace. Is there one that seems better than another or is there one to stay away from. I'm not too worried about the cost but want to make the pain go away.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Better Unloader Brace?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:44:01 AM »
Hi,
I have the Ossur Unloader One and find it very comfortable. It's a lot more lightweight and much easier to get on and off than my previous brace, which was a Generation II Unloader. Instead of 5 straps, this one just has 2 snaps. The center support bar sits a lot closer to the leg also, which makes it easier to wear under pants. The pads aren't as irritating as the ones on the old brace and they seem to hold it in place better. It has a ratchet system that makes it easy to adjust the amount of support as your needs change throughout the day. Best of all, an off-the-shelf model just came out, which is only about half the cost of the custom-fit one. The only difference is that your orthotist will have to bend the center bar out by hand when you go in to be fitted.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline Cohiba767

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
Thanks for the info...this is exactly what I'm looking for; ease of use and wearing it under clothing. I did a google on quite a few braces... while they are all similar, there is also lots of subtle differences.

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:16:47 AM »
Hi there!

I'm almost 3 weeks post op from a high tibial osteotomy, but prior to that I wore an unloader brace anytime I was up and around.  My doc prescribed the CTi2 OA unloader brace by Ossur.  http://ossur.com/pages/2997

I'm a really busy college student and needed a brace to hold up to activities that I participate, as well as my clinical rotations for my degree.  I absolutely loved the brace...as much as you can love a brace I guess. ::)  At first I thought it was rather bulky, but once I got used to putting it on everyday, I really got used to it, and I occassionlly even forgot I was wearing it, until someone would ask me what was wrong with my knee.  I usually run around in shorts anyways so clothing wasn't too difficult to figure out.  I would wear jeans, and the like, occassionally and I had no issues putting it right over my brace and never had it slip down.  I know you said that the cost isn't important...this brace cost $2500 when I got it.

Hope this info helped a little bit!  Best of luck, let me know if you have anymore questions! :)
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Cohiba767

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »
thanks Mandy. I've got an appointment with the Doc next week and I probably have enough info to discuss the brace thing with him. We'll see what he comes up with. I'm a pilot with a major airline and we'll have to see how that works with the TSA folks, but its better than watch me limp down to the plane.