Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: been there done that  (Read 13902 times)

Offline jcblank

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
been there done that
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:05:28 AM »
if anyone needs any information concerning dvt's  like i said i have been there done that.  yes i had a dvt after meniscus surgery and on coumadin for life.
1995 menisectomy
9/06 menisectomy with resultant blood clot
6/07 meniscal transplant with peroneal nerve damage
12/07 peroneal nerve decompression

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: been there done that
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »
Ok I do have a question for you.  Its alittle off subject but who cares!  While on coumadin have you been told that you need IV antibodies prior to any dental work, even cleanings?  My mom had a hip replacement and prior to going to the dentist she has to go to the hospital for IV antibodics.  I know of another friend who has had a new knee and she goes for the IV prior to the dentist olso.  She had to go prior to her colonoscosposy also.  What is your protocol?

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:17:42 PM »
Eaglemom

The coumadin has nothing to do with the antibiotics needed. Coumadin is a blood thinner to prevent clot formation. Antibiotics are taken before and after the procedures because of the joint replacements. Bacteria in the blood stream can adhere to the prothesis and cause an infection. Some doctors don't prescribe antibiotics for dental. I take antibiotics for dental and when I had an endoscopy. When I have surgery I get several doses of IV vancomycin because of my knee prothesis. Any infection in the body can cause an infection to an implant so even UTI's or skin infections need to be treated and the doctor alerted to the fact you have an implant.

When I had my TKR , I had a PE ( pulmonary embolis, blood clot in the lung) scare. I was being treated with coumadin and lovenox for sluggish flow in vein( beginnings of a clot) seen on ultra sound. When I was released from the hospital, I had to go to the ER for difficulty breathing. The blood test for blood clot is called a D-dimer. My reading came back twice the highest value. The ER doc had never seen that before. He said I had a very high probability I was having or had a pulmonary embolis. I had to have a lung CAT scan spiralmetry done, which was not a pleasent test at all. Fortunately it came back neg. He said it probably had passed, ER doc allowed me to go home after several hours in ER but if I had return of difficulty breathing , I had to come back to be admitted. He felt I was adequately anticoagulated with the blood thinners.

Pam

4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

fawn2388

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:12:49 PM »
Oh the D - dimer test. Oh how many of those I have done.

Offline zepher

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
Hi there, i have just posted on this site before i saw your post! yes i would like to know everything about this condition. I have had 2 ops this year to remove/repair meniscus, have had my patella re-aligned and had a plica removed, this last op was in april, and as i have previously said in my post on here i thought i may of been out of the danger zone, I am currently experiencing pain in my lower left calf, same leg as operated on both times, i am active and have done nothing that i know about to have the crampy feeling due to a strain or pull in the muscle.
I am a bit worried that i may have a DVT can you tell me what the symptoms are please, i had this feeling about a week ago and it went on its own, but now it is back, any advce would be much appreciated.
Kerry x

support