Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bedas Pre-Op diary  (Read 68662 times)

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
Bedas Pre-Op diary
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:27:21 PM »
My name is Beda, and I have a very longstanding problem with a history of 16 knee surgries, 6 of which have been TKR's and all of them failed. I am due for an OS consult on the 13th May at Rigshospital, Copenhagen, Denmark, with the view of an arthrodesis of my knee joint, rendering the knee stiff, permanently.
My history to date started in 1979.
1979, summer, trauma with left knee, open fracture where knee cap luxated out the side of my knee, through an open wound. I got to a hospital in Germany, where the accident happened, and the hospital in Germany reduced the fracture, sewed me up and gave me bed rest for 2 weeks. No PT or anything, returned to england after 2 weeks to make a slow and problem filled recovery.
1979 autumn returned to Denmark where I had constant luxations of my L. patella. Was operated at Rigshospital for luxating patella, plus debridement and removal of scar tissue. 2 months later after that surgery, OA began to show on x-rays. From then on OA provocated by injury galloped.
1981 had operation to move tendons around in my knee to stop the repeated patella luxations, in POP cast for 4 weeks after surgery, very painful recovery. had lots of physio, including hydrotherapy for a period of 1 year. Knee never recovered and OA was very serious at this point.
1984 was diagnosed with OCD. Had several scopes and arthrectomys, to remove 'floaters' in my knee. Torn meniscus found. repaired using a scope op.
1984 Arthrectomy and osteotomy done. 9mm of bone medially removed, clamped together with staples and put in POP cast for 4 weeks. terribly painful recovery dues to excessive swelling after arthrectomy that was carried out same time as ostoeotmy. OS didnt want to know about pain managemnet, suffered a great deal. POP cast got too big as swelling subisede and had to have it changed 2x. POP is heavy and I coudlnt walk without use of crutches.
2 years of ostoetomy, OA galloping still, bone on bone.
1986 My first PKR. halv St George alloplastik in medial joint chamber. this implant loosened after 2 years and was replaced in
1989 with TOWNLEY knee alloplastik TKR which loosend and casued great pains uncontrolled by strong painkillers in
1992 where implant waas changed out for an implant IBtype 2 posterior stabilizing. TKR This implant stayed in with much pain until it loosened in
1993 where the implant was changed out with en endorotations knee. TKR This loosened in
1994 with much pain to be changed with a new femur part TKR
1999 I had an exploration of TKR with change of polyethylene component spacer
2003 because of extreem aseptic loosening, so bad the implants could be removed digitally by the OS, new TKR again.
2006 b/c of looseness, extreem once again, implants changed for new using bone transplants. By this time I have paper thin bones dues to the fact that each time they take an implant out, they have to remove bone tissue
2008 am waiting to go into hospital to have all metal removed from my leg and an arthrodesis (fusion) of my knee performed. This arthrodese is to be fixed internally, using extensive bone grafts and rods and screws. I have been seen by several OS's now who all come to the same conclusion that they can no longer put new TKR's in my leg because it just wont 'take' and sit permanently. I have massive bone loss, and will require massiv bone transplants. I have not stopped taking pain meds for the past 2 years. Am on 3 kinds of combi-treatement. panodil 4x daily, relifex (nsaid)2x daily and oxycontin( potent artifical morphine) depot 2 x daily. I can no longer walk any distance, have to walk with crutches, and can do precious little but lying on the sofa or in bed. have stairs in my house to wc so am moving house the 16th may to a house which is in one plane, has no stairs.
have been tossed about in the health care system for the past 5 months from one OS to the other like a hot potato because no body wants to touch my knee. Finally I have a consult at the best hospital Denmark has, in copenhagen, for the 13th may where I have been called in as an acute patient, so I dont think it will be long before I get my op. I hope not.
I have had tons of experience with different knee ops, so if theres anyone out there thats looking for advice about some of the procedures, especially scopes and TKR & PKR's I'd be glad to answer questions about pre and post op care, piain meds and management etc. PT has aslo been a big part of my life.
I start this diary here; 6th may 2008; unbearable pains, no movement possible - WAITING!!
Will write again tomorrow, its late and I'm falling asleep!!
Love Beda
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:58:59 AM by Beda »
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Bedas Pre-Op diary
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
Beda,  I wish you all the best...after all you have been through you truely deserve relief.  My heart goes out to you!  I'll be sure to follow and see how things go!

Take care,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:46:32 AM »
Thanks Karen.  I sure do feel the need  for support right now, the appointment is going to be very decisive as to when I get my surgery - hopefully here wont go a very long time until they operate. Menawhie l went to the cinema yesterday, had trouble sitting still with my leg at more or less right angles in the stalls. have to take the seats at the edge from now on!! That will also be an issue when I get operated, the fact that I will have a stiff leg, where I will 'fit' in!!!
Love Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
constant pain

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:11:01 AM »
Hi Beda!
Well done on starting a Pre Op diary - it is a wonderful source of information for all of us on here!!
I never saw your history all in one place like that. Its certainly very comprehensive, I cannot believe you have endured so much surgery on one leg. You must be extremely brave.
How did you have your original injury in 1979? Was it an accident?
I see you mention several scopes - did you actually gain any relief from any of those?

I am so looking forward to hearing about your appointment. Dont worry a bit about things like theatres and cinemas - there will always be edge seats - wont the fact you have no pain make life so much easier!!!

Do you have any issues with your left hip after all these problems with your knee? My hip hurts a lot, but its from me straining my quads trying not to let my knee slip out of place, the joint itself doesnt get sore, its more like tendonitis.

Again Beda - fantastic idea to start a Pre Op Diary - they help people so much as its here we can learn about different symptoms and what led to what procedure and what kind of complications ensue. And that you are such a wonderful positive person makes knee surgeries that much less scary for the rest of us!!
So thank you for sharing your story, Im sure you will be kept busy answering questions here, you are fantastic!
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:41:34 AM »
My original injury was when I slipped on some greasy washing up water that was spilling out of a machine at work (Iwas a chef) and got an open fracture of the knee. The patella came out of the gash in the knee.
As far as the scopes are concerned, I always had debridements due to OCD and the only diagnostic one I had where they didnt do anything but look was one when they looked to see the status of my OA before my first PKR. I recovered quite quickly from the scopes, but the knee feel sore for several days after. If you have scope surgery, meaning they do more than just look,, it will be more painfull and the swelling will be more. Remember that a lot of swelling after a scope is due to the saline solution they pump in there to enable them to look around. They pump it out again best they can, but theres always some left and the knee will feel tight afterwards, especially I found in the back of the knee where I had trouble bending it.

I've never had problems so far with my hip, but have had serious back problems in my lower back, due to favouring my right side. I was scanned and it showed I have serious degenerative changes in my lower spine, but until now no OA in my hip - thank god for small mercies! I also lack 2 cm in the length of my left leg, due to all the surgeries, but when I've had the arthrodesis I will have a difference of around 5 cm. That makes my back ache too. I have been warned by someone i have spoken to whos had an arthrodesis that I will develope hip problems with time, but we'll cross that hurdle when we come to it!
Love Beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »
Less than a week away until your appointment.   Best wishes I hope they are able to save the leg.

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
Beda

Good luck with the coming apt and surgery. I hope it helps and you will be able to help so many here and I hope we can offer you support back.

Actually I face surgery on the 16th and it makes me appreciate the issues I have are hopefully redeemable and it humbles me to read what you have been through.

I really hope you can get something to ease your pain and wish you the best of luck. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Joanne
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 06:34:58 PM »
Thank you so much for your kind words and support. yes, I am counting the days for this OS appointment. I hope your surgery goes well for you. Today I have actually had less pain than normal for some unknown reason. I have to wonder if its the weather?? the weather has turned from being cold and wet to being dry and warm and sunny, and I am running around in shorts and a T shirt. I definitly have it better with warmth on my leg. In the winter i use a heating pad a LOT, and heated my bed before i get in it at night with an electric blanket. I would never have survived the winter this year without my heating blanket. This winter I had it so bad some nights I went to bed at 5 in the afternoon just to get in the warmth and to get in a good position with my leg. I need to support my whole leg  all the way down in bed on pillows to be comfortable. I just have had SO MUCH pain, with movement and at rest, its been unrelenting. Looking forward to some Pain Relief!!!!!!!!!
catch you later.
Love beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 07:52:34 AM »
A new day. Countdown only 5 more days before my OS appointment. Went on Righsopitals website last night, and found out a whole bunch of info about the hospital, the department I'm going to be in, and about being a patient in the hospital, and about how the stay is likely to form itself. Rigshospital is a very big University Hospital, and takes patients from international destinations as well as ONLY special problem patients from Denmark. In the brochure for doctors, (yes I read that bit too!!) it stated that most of their ops on knees are for people who've had TKRs that have gotten loose or failed for some reason like infektion etc. so sounds like Ive arrived at the right place! The outpatient dept for the orthopędic dept sees about 150 people daily, so theres a lot of doctors there! the physical conditions at the hospital are state-of-the-art. Theres tv at every bed, telephone and internet, all of which are free if used normally. I will be taking my laptop so i can keep you guys on the Knee Geeks informed as to how I'm doing when I get my op. I was also reading about anęsthetics used, because once I had the experience that they put me asleep, or thought they did, but I wasnt asleep and they started messing with me and I tried to say that i wasnt asleep so they shouldnt start operating, but I couldnt react at all. I tired to say something but couldnt, tried to lift my arm but couldnt. This was very scarry, and something that only 1 out of 10,000 experience these days, but it DOES happen. However, I told the OS the next day after the op, and he apologized profusely and said it would not happen again, they obviously hadnt given me enough to put me to sleep. At Rigshopital they are aware that this phenomena happens, and take extra precautions when putting you under by using an EEG machine whic measures your brain activity so they can see if your asleep or not.
Today I have a LOT of pain. My morning meds havent kicked in yet, but when they do I should get some relief. I am not doing anything today like packing down boxes, for those who dont know, I'm moving house on the 16th to a place where theres no stairs, just in time it seems to be!! HURAHHH!!! If you just knew how I HATE those stairs, well, yes, lets leave it at that!! its a bit of a shame because my house is a nice house, in a nice area with nice neighbours, the only fault is has is that the toilet it up on 1st floor, so is my bedroom,and, its not big enough for my mom and I, who are going to now live together. This is because firstly we get on fantastically, mom is getting older and needs my moral support, and I need her physical support in the time of recovery I have ahead of me. The doctors say I can be up to 2 years getting over an arthrodesis, and that fusion can take from anything  from 6 months to 2 years. I will be in some form for immobilizer afterwards, hopefully not POP because that is just SO heavy and makes you ache because you have to carry the weight of the cast around. It will be internally fixed, meaning that the procedure will be that they take all hardwear out, put bonegrafts in with a long intramedullary nail that goes from my tibia to femur, and screws and plates to hold that in place. My only concern is, what if the internal fixation works itself loose?? I obviously cant have metal in my leg for long periods of time, that is tried and tested, so I do hope they have a plan B!!Well their their the experts in there, so i am sure they will do their best for me.
Catch you later
Love Beda xx

Please do give FARRAH all the support she needs, shes going through a rough patch at the moment, see her posts on Tanyas pre-op diary.
Have a good day everyone
Love Beda XX
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 06:06:13 AM »
Friday. Just 3 more full days before my OS appointment. I'm counting down now!! yet another beuatiful spring day, with temps promising to come up to 25 today, that reasonable hot for me!! had the ventilator fan on me all night long last nght, gets terribly hot upstairs because I have room right under a slanting roof, and the insulation isnt that good, so the sun bakes down and it get real hot up there. Forgot to get Boris in last night (my cat) so hes spent a night on the tiles, hope he enjoyed himself!! he came in this mórning, very cold and very hungry - poor pussy!!!

Pain is wicked today - again. I have pain radiating into my foot and going up to my groin. I have very diifuse pains through my leg, actually the knee itself doesnt give me too much bother, its the pains the knee makes down and up the leg, because the implants are loose all the way down the stems of them. I have 7 inch stems going up in my femur and down in my tibia, and there is osteolysis present there all the way around the implants, making them very sore, because of the fact they move slightly all the time, so you can imagine that hurts. Every step I take makes that darn prothese move, and shoots pain up and down my leg. AND yesterday my R. knee began to really hurt as well. I know I have issues with that, but I cant afford to have both fo my knees operated on, that would be just too much!!
Catch ya later Beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 09:42:31 AM »
3 more days!!!!!! yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
Saturday - just 2 more days til OS appointment. Am considering writing a list of all the questions I want to ask him, though they have a pretty clear idea by now what needs to be done and how to do it. Unless Rigshospital comes up with soemthing completely new, nothing will be a surprize :-\

Just wanted to say if anyone is curious as to what my art is, (i'm an artist) you can look on www.bedasatelier.dk, there you can see a little bit of what I used to do when I could stand up at an easle! I cant paint at the moment for several reasons, 1. because I cant stand up for any length of time without crutches, and standing is my favourite painting position. 2. were moving and my paints are packed down and the house is in a mess.
I did want to paint yesterday, I have it really good painting, but couldnt, so felt frustrated. By the way, I was an artist BEFORE i trained as a chef, chef training was becuase I needed a ceative and permanent income to support my gallery. Food making is very artistic and creative. Any questions about food prep, I'm willing to answer too!!

Pain is killing me today, have taken pain meds with little result. Just one of thse days. have to knuckle down now to 'direct' mom into packing some boxes!!
catch ya later, hope all those who are in pain get some relief today!
Love Beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
Hi Beda,

Sorry you have been in so much pain. I have too, but it is much better today after the physio I had last night and pilates I did this morning.

Good luck with your appointment. Not long to go now.

It is 1 week and 5 days till Tanya and I have our ops.

Good luck !!!  ;)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 04:31:16 PM »
Just spent half an hour composing a list of 28 questions I have for the OS on Tuesday!! I'm pretty clear in my head what hes going to say, but exactly what hes going to DO is another matter. Of course I've never had an arthrodesis done, no one much has had these days, its something of times gone by, when they used to fuse knees for serious OA, but these days they dont do it any more because of the arrival of TKR's. BUT it still DOES happen as I am a witness to, and the only goal and ambition I have is to be pain free; i cant go on like this, my life is in ruins because of this stupid knee. ( usually refer to it as my leg, because its the whole of my leg thats giving me problems.) Tomorrow will be sunday, then bank holiday monday, then!!!!!!!!!!! ??? ??? ??? :D :D :D
Hope folks keep their fingers (and toes but NOT knees!!!) crossed for me on tuesday! ;D ;D
Love Beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
Sunday - only 1 more day til OS appointment!! I'm not nervous yet, that will only happen when I have to get up at 4.00am to travel to the hospital on Tuesday!!
Have gotten the most of my house packed up in removal boxes now. I've been doing the stuff I can sitting down, otherwise directing my mom in packing down, throwing out and giving to the flea market! By now, it MUST have made a difference in all the stuff that needs to be transported!! removal men coming on friday at 8.00am. ;D ;D
Have heard the new place is to be newly painted 100% everywhere,  so its going to be really nice for us when we move in! good we dont have to start painting the place. You get 2 types of arrangements over here with rental properties. the one is, that its newly painted when you move in, and when you move out it has to be left newly painted, and, 2, you do the painting yourself when you move in and you dont have to have the place painted when you move out. I cant even begin to think of the problems of movng out yet, we havnt even moved in yet, and we definitly intend to live there for a LONG time!!
Well, hope that all of you that have pain today gets some relief, take your meds, ice and rest - its sunday!!Tomorrows a Bank holiday here in Denmark, is it over where you are??
catch ya later Love Beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

support