Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is there any hope?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline starpolisher

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Is there any hope?
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:20:42 PM »
Sometimes I think my life will consist of nothing but removal of scar tissue build up, physical therapy, and pain and morphine.  I remember someone said they threw their pain meds away.  If I did that, Icouldn't walk!  I had 1 revision in Feb .... an implant with no cement since I showed a severe sensitivity to it.  I am having my 2nd revision done on the other knee (one of the people who had a double TKR....I don't recommend them).  My surgeon did say this period would be hard as one leg is straighter and I keep getting ingrown toenails, wear lifts in the shoe of my bad knee.....but I feel stiffness returning in the new knee.  Maybe it is just all these complications and once I have the other knee removed I will be okay. 

I have a son graduated from high school who was sick for 6 years and accepted to the college of his choice.  we need to move out there with him to find him a good doctor.  but we must wait until I have this revision done in May.  I have a good PT but we'll be going to Indiana and I know there is a good doctor in Indiana and one in cincinatti. 

These doctors in the Midwest.....is it just darned good PT that they have done for us?  I, like so many of you, feel like I have no life!!!!  I worry about my son...our family is so stressed.  Is there a success story?  I did write a thread about how do you live with arthrofibrosis and no one answered.  Is that because there is no answer?  I have no family support in NY were we live.  any advice or good news?  any HOPE?  Thank you.
Patty

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Is there any hope?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 12:51:51 AM »
Patty:

I deeply believe there is always hope. Don't give up on that.

You've had a lot of surgery in a short time, and your knees aren't very happy about it. Recovering from a revision is hard, but it sounds like maybe you've hit upon the solution...not using cement. And not only are you recovering from one surgery, but dealing with the other knee pain, too, while waiting for that surgery. No wonder things seem hopeless now. Just keep reminding yourself that you're not at the end of the road. Just try to keep remember that the recovery from a knee replacement is 12-18 months, so next year at this time you'll be feeling so much better.

You have so much on your plate right now with your own situation and that of your son. I'm sure the stress of it all is enormous. But please don't give up hope.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline starpolisher

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Is there any hope?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:56:22 AM »
Dear Janet,

Oh I needed your response so badly!  I first had my double TKR 3 years ago in June by a different surgeon so, yes, it has been a long road coupled with my son's illness. 

Janet, you have given me the hope to go on.  I have always had it for the 3 operations I've had (the 2nd was with the new surgeon who removed a spacer that was too big for my knee the first surgeon used, along with scar tissue and a MUA).  When he saw all the scar tissue return, he said: "this is like some sort of inflammation....this arthrofibrosis."  His name is Edwin Su at Hospital for Special Surgery and said he saw this once before in a man and had his blood tested and it showed sensitivity to the cement and when he took it out, the scar tissue didn't come back.  It is very hard with the 2 knees.  The one fault of my surgeon is he doesn't explain a whole lot.  I had never known a revision required a lot more healing.  He is assuming I will need 6 to 8 months of physical therapy.  I just needed hope that all this will be worth it and if I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, Ican make it.  My greatest worry is my son and moving.  He can wait until fall of 2009 before college (he was accepted for fall 2008) and it's very hard for him.  Hasn't had much of a life and is very close to me and seeing what has happened to my legs has had a negative impact on his illness....always a setback. 

At least I have 105 to 110 ROM.  My PT thinks that will be the best I get but says I can function with that as long as the pain goes away.  My toenails interrupted my PT and they will be finally, after 3 visits, fixed today. 

Honestly I felt the past few days there was no hope and yet I have a strong faith.  I know my son needs me now and couldn't see how we could get from here to Indiana in time for the 2009 college year but it sounds like it will be possible.   Also my son needs to get over the repeated setbacks with my knees and the impact it has had on his health.  My husband is also dealing with a mom with cancer, having chemo and his nerves are bad. 

Thank you Janet.....I couldn't see how I was going to get to the end of the tunnel and had such awful worries about my son.  You've restored my hope and I will continue to keep on keeping on.  God bless you, Janet, for what you have given me back. 
Patty

support