Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PFS  (Read 8683 times)

fawn2388

Re: PFS
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 07:56:49 AM »
I was working 12 hour shifts til I broke my left patella. And I was like 1 1/2 months PO right knee

I pay for, college, gas, car insurance, and everything else... in one of the most expensive states... Mass. If you want to know patient trying adding ankle twists in. I've come the sumrise that I can't so sports... at 20 years old. PFS just has flairs... I've had maltracking issues inmy left knee for a really long time and it has good tiems and bad times... you kinda gotta learn to roll to punches as I've learned the real hard way.

Offline countrygirl88

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »
wow, that really sucks
i'm hoping for the best, but like you said, i guess i should prepare for the worst
i hear swimming's a good non-impact exercise for your knees, but i'm thinking i'd have to stick to the front crawl, since it seems like bending my knees repeatedly, no matter how much weight on them, irritates them
have you tried swimming? if so, does it help (or at least provide exercise)?

fawn2388

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
PFS goes away with rest... believe me. And I did for like 2 weeks but than killed my left knee.

Offline countrygirl88

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
well i went to my first PT appt yesterday, and she said i have pretty much no quad muscles and that it will take a while to build them up again
i'm still gonna see if i can get an MRI, just to rule anything else out, but if that's my only problem, im not too worried

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »
Hey glad you got to PT and have something you can do about the problem.  I know if your quads are weak it makes it more likely for your kneecaps to maltrack.  I will say you need to be very diligent about the PT at home as well as at your appointments.

Swimming is good for you but there is one stroke they say folks with knee pain should not do, but I cannot remember it. 

I don't think it will hurt to get an MRI, but it may not show much of anything.  It did not show my chrondromalacia at all.

Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

fawn2388

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 01:34:19 AM »
Weak quads is your answer. That causes maltracking issues.

Offline countrygirl88

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 02:24:30 PM »
well, just thought i'd write an update
started PT at the beginning of june, going twice a week...starting yesterday i'm done in her rooms (when i'd have to make appts. and pay more) and i'm just in her gym now and i can go whenever i want.

i noticed a real improvement in the first week, and they're getting better every week. They aren't 100% yet, but i didn't expect that to happen very soon. i was actually surprised at how fast i saw improvement, since my PT said it could take up to 6 months.

i've joined a real gym, so i do the bike, treadmill, and some of the machines there at the weights she told me...hopefully they'll be good enough at the end of summer that i can just go to the gym at school and keep the strength up...but if worse comes to worse, i can just find a PT out there.

thanks for your comments everyone, and while i doubt this is the end of my knee problems, i sure won't take my knees for granted anymore

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 04:03:03 PM »
Hey there!

Glad the PT is working out for you.  Keep it up!

'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline countrygirl88

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »
thanks

i forgot to mention, i went to my OS on the 13th, and i told him that my knees had been getting worse, but when i came home from school i started PT and it was really helping. well then he gave me a therapy order to continue PT.

but see, the funny thing is, it was my pediatrician who gave me the referral to PT...my OS was the one against PT. My mom says he was covering his a**, especially since he's a really good OS in the area. i still think i went to the wrong OS here, though. the one i was going to specializes in knee and hip replacements. by the time i realized that there was another doctor there who specializes in knees and sports medicine, it was too late. oh well, i just have another follow-up appt in july, and then if i have any more problems, i'm finding another doctor

fawn2388

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 03:17:46 AM »
Weak or unbalanced quads does that, PT does work a lot of wonders, and I think you'll just fine.

support