Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Randy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Questions
« on: July 31, 2003, 07:57:22 AM »
Hello all. I have a few questions I hope some of you kneegeeks would be so kind to help me with.

A quick refesher on my problem . I fx my right upper tibia 8weeks ago (plate +5 screws) walking 4 weeks PO (good) :) My flexation is 120% and my extension is not all there yet.. here is my short list of questions...

1. Am I progressing ok
2. what is the full ROM in the knee
3. will I be able to obtain full extension or will I have a limp forever.
4.Is the pain I now feel in my knee arthritis or is it just healing (will I get arthritis)

I thank this sight and everyone who has contributed support.THANKYOU
6/02/03        tib plat fx L plate and 4 screws

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 09:07:29 AM »
Hi Randy, welcome to knee geeks.
1. You are progressing great, don't be alarmed when your progress slows down once in awhile. There are peaks and valleys.
2.Full ROM varies from person to person, at PT they will measure your other leg to see what your ROM should be.
3.You shouldn't be limping forever unless there is something your OS knows, that I don't know about your knee. I'm not a Doctor. I think you are limping because you said your extension is not all there, everyone who can't straighten their leg limps.
4.I would think the pain you are feeling is just healing, how bad is it on a 1-10 scale, 10 being the worst? Always tell your doctor about bad pain.
5.Will you get arthritis? Who knows?
Hope I helped answer some questions, Take it easy, Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 09:12:13 AM »
Welcome, Randy! :)

120 degrees of flexion sounds great to me. I'm just now at 100 degrees after weeks of physical therapy, though I know a patella fracture is a different matter.

Give it some time and lots of physical therapy, and you will make more progress than you have so far.

I can't speak to tib fracture, but I can certainly say that I had pain at 8 weeks out--I still have lesser amounts of pain at 6 months out. I'm so much better now, and I feel certain the same will be true for you. It might take longer than 8 weeks, though, so don't despair.

LizL  ::)
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 12:12:59 AM »
Work really hard on your extension. If you don't have full extension, you will always walk with a limp. And when you walk with a limp because you don't have full extension, you are putting forces on the wrong part of your knee. So in the future, you can have further problems with wear and tear in the joint. This is how it was explained to me. All that being said, it sounds like you are doing well. Just wanted to encourage you to work on that extension!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.