Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08  (Read 97367 times)

Offline MrsB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008, 09:06:11 PM »
That's awesome that you're off the crutches BSG and got to 0 (even passivily) ! I wonder if we had done CPR yesterday if I would've gotten 0? I mean if I was at 2 when I went in and gain about 3 degrees after CPR each time.... it would make sense? ???
Anway, your new exercises sound a lot like the ones I got yesterday. How are they going so far?? I have to do one where I stand on my op leg and bend non-op behind me and do 1/4 squats.... so difficult.

Glad you're doing so well. :)
12/15/07- Complete ACL tear, MCL sprain, fractured and deeply bruised tibia while skiing (3rd day of the season!)
04/09/08- ACLR using my own Patellar Tendon

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »
Does this mean there is no extension party for anyone this weekend? :D  I know I've got a busy weekend and an extension party is not part of it   ;D
9/7/2005 LK partial meniscectomy
3/1/2006 RK partial meniscectomy
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
2/14/2007 LK ACLR allograft
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear
4/8/2008 RK ACLR allograft

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2008, 10:11:57 PM »
The new exercises are really good but I still tend to be a bit peg legged when I walk.  I have to do a few standing hamstring curls to remind my knee that it is supposed to bend when I am walking.  I have not done any one-legged squats....yet.  I do the low-pulley machine with my good leg and have to balance on the bad one and that's tough since I do not have very good balance on it yet.

The PT hinted that we are going to get more aggressive next week, I think she is tired of me wimping around but she does point out that I am just about where I should be.  I guess they just have to push someone like me harder, I'm glad she's patient with me.

BNL - I think in place of the extension party we are coming to your event instead.   ;D
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Bruce23

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2008, 10:49:26 PM »
BSG,

The hamstring is what causes me most of my limp.  I can not lift my foot behind me more than a couple inches due to pain in hamstring.  Do you have any hamstring issues? I know you got your patellar tendon harvested, but is your hamstring weakened like our quads are?
Martial arts accident 11/16/07
ACLr + Meniscus trim 4/24/08

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2008, 05:37:21 PM »
Hi Bruce:

It seems my hams are weak but not like my quads are.  I did alot of pre-op work on them both but it appears as if I was better at the hams than the quads.  My favorite one was sitting on the stool and motoring around the carpeted PT room using my left heel pulling me forward with everyone watching me.  It actually was my only cardio for awhile and was difficult as the PT only let me use the left leg, no right leg helping - a good hamstring workout for sure.

When I sit in the chair for the flex measurement it is very difficult for me to get my leg back by itself, I can get the leg back pretty far using the other leg to "help" but when I am just using the left leg the furthest I have gotten to is 115.  I don't think it's the hammies being weak I think it is the swelling in my knee that is holding things up.

The ham curls help, when I first do them the knee is stiff but after a few it loosens up, if I could get the swelling down I think I could really progress in the flex department.  I ice quite a bit, I think - several times a day - maybe I should be icing more.

To complicate the swelling issue I have some insufficiency in the saphenous vein in that same leg, the valves let bloodflow backup and really causes the ankle and leg to swell (and I'm sure it doesn't help the knee either), I wear one of those compression stockings most days to keep it from getting too swollen.  I was going to get it fixed (a rather simple thing I'm told) but the OS wants me to hold off for another 6 months until the knee is healed I guess.

The new exercises have helped tremendously and I don't seem to have any difficulty raising my leg to follow thru the walking motion.  For me it's the stiff knee and quads causing the swagger.

BTW - how is your pain level now?  I hope things are easing up for you.  I did have to pop a 1/2 percocet last night as I had some actual pain in the knee not just the regular achiness.  I attributed that to the 1st full day of FWB combined with the PT.

Offline Bruce23

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
BSG,

Thanks for your response.  I envy your hamstring workouts.  I am not to do any hamstring exercises until 6 weeks after surgery.  You are far ahead in terms of getting your hamstring (and walking) back to normal.

I have the swelling issue as well.  My PT said to keep raising it yesterday so I have started using a stool instead of pillows.  It is not comfortable but it is much higher than 3-4 pillows that I had been using.  We will see if that helps.

When I woke up today my pain was only a 2 so I took IBUP instead of narcs.  So far so good, I think I am finally off of them and that is a huge relief for me.  However, I have not done any of my exercises since after my PT yesterday and won't do any this weekend as per PTs recommendation.

Have a great weekend.

Martial arts accident 11/16/07
ACLr + Meniscus trim 4/24/08

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 06:25:06 PM »
Hey BSG...Keep your head up!  If you want, I will participate in extension parties with you  :)  I will be thinking extension thoughts for your PT appointment today!
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »
Hey BSG,  Try not to be down about your progress.  Everyone is different.  You'll do fine.  Don't let PT beat you up about it either.  Remember, most of them haven't been through knee surgery so they have no idea how hard it is.   :P

And hey, if you're down just come on here and whine.  It feels better to let it out.  I've been whining for almost 6 months now and will probably continue to whine until my knee stops hurting and starts working the way it should.  

I know what your problem is...it's those long, long legs because you are so tall.  More leg surface to heal up.  Ha! Ha!  Sorry.  Just trying to cheer you up.  Good luck at PT this afternoon.  Knock em' dead!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 11:35:32 PM »
Thanks Guys, your support really helps!!   :)

I guess the main problem is I am such a goal oriented person and when the PT tells me I should be at (insert ext/flex # here) when I am not I get frustrated, angry, depressed, fed up, and various other emotions.    >:(  :-[  :-\  :'(   I do realize that I am only going to get out of PT what I put into it and to be honest I am not pushing myself hard enough.  I have been afraid (there's the 'A" word again) that I would hurt the graft 'cause I sure don't want to do this again.  However, I know that the PT is not going to have me do anything that will hurt the graft - I know there are some questionable ones out there but I really trust all of the ones I am seeing.

So that being said let me tell you about today's session:

I really like my regular PT, we get along well and I think we were both feeling frustrated at my progress - or lack thereof.

So.....today I warmed up on the bike and I can go all the way around w/o any issues so that feels good.  She told me I s/b biking at least 3 times a day to keep the knee flexible (I am still not working so rehab s/b my full time job).  I then spent some time chasing the PT around the room as they were trying to get me to walk faster, with these long legs I have been walking at a pace that a turtle could pass me on.

Then another one of the PTs came by for a little motivation, he worked on my gait and then.......we got on the table for the massage (or was it torture?) session.  Wow!!  they both massaged my scar and flexed and I got to see them do knee CPR in tandem.  It was kind of like a PT swarm even the Director looked over at one point.  Boy, was it uncomfortable, not really painful but man........I was ready to run (like I could even beat them walking) out.  At one point I thought they might tie me to the table.

We did manage to get to 0 with the one PT lying on my knee and the other measuring, on my own I got to -3 which is the best since pre-op.  Flex was 115 which they thought was good but I was like "aren't I supposed to be at 120" so I was kind of bummed about that.    >:(

So it was clear that today was a motivation session which in all honesty I needed.   :-\  I know they want to see me heal and it's frustrating for them to have someone who is not progressing well.  I have decided to put myself on a schedule, I have not been working and I just tend to hang around the house and not really do the rehab on a set schedule.  I think if I get on some type of schedule it will help me do the rehab better and more often so that's the plan for the rest of the week (and probably my life).  I see the PT again tomorrow, I can't come in on Fri so they wanted me to come in tomorrow - I was like.....ok, sure thing   ::)  ......as I was backing thru the door......    :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:51:55 PM by BigSkyGirl »

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 01:34:57 AM »
BSG - The image of you "chasing" your PT around the office cracks me up.  Don't they ever let us win? ;)  Then the thought of 2 people doing CPR on my knee....ouch.  You are a trooper!

Your ext numbers are getting better, so that is progress!  Don't worry about flex.  Ext is the most important thing now.  Plus you can get all the way around on the bike now, so that is fantastic! :)
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »
End of week 5:

Thanks BNL, wow, 5 weeks already, hard to believe it has gone by so fast!

Today was back to back PT sessions since I saw my regular PT yesterday for the ext/flex party.  It was kind of funny in that I think they thought I might not come back after yesterday.  I really like them all tho' and am happy that they care so much, I guess I could have one of the clueless ones I read about on these boards at times.

Today was "good cop" PT day, we got to have a gentle massage session and a quieter approach to yesterday but it was still tough.  We did some backward treadmill walking and some shuttle work, after that the dreaded measuring thingie (I like that better than gonimeter) came out and I got to 0 on my own today!!!!!!  YEA!!!!!  Flex was 120 with some help from the PT.

Monday they are telling my regular PT that I should be at 118 so she cut me some slack.  The other thing to come out of todays session is that I really think there are some issues with my fibula, it had what they termed as a non-dislocated fracture in the initial injury and they said it would just heal.  When I really try to push as hard as I can on the ext I get a pain (I told them it was pain not just some discomfort) right up where the fib comes into the knee.  The PT today felt around and did some massage, we discussed whether this will resolve on it's own, I do see the OS next week so I will mention it then.  I feel like that is really what is holding up the full ext at this point but I sometimes think that maybe they think I am not really trying.

So they sent me home with my ext/flex homework as well as the gait training moves they gave me, I have a feeling I'd better study for Mon or else......gulp!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:50:10 PM by BigSkyGirl »

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 10:58:43 PM »
BSG - You got to 0 on your own!  Outstanding work!  :)
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 11:28:42 PM »
That's more like it BSG.  Now you're cruising!  That sounds great!  That pain on ext. could be anything.  Don't sweat it yet.
05/09  MUA

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2008, 07:41:35 PM »
Today is 5 weeks post-op:

First I warmed up on the bike - it is sooooooo good to just hop on and take off - burned a whopping 49 calories in 7 minutes.  Today I am rumaging thru the attic to find my old cage pedals for my bike (right now the clipless ones are on) and I think I am going to hop on the bike and explore the neighborhood.  My leg feels strong enough now so I don't think I would have any trouble.  If I fall I'll just make sure I don't fall that direction.

After the bike we got on the tradmill - backwards - where do these PTs come up with this stuff?  I told her I didn't think I walked well backwards with 2 good legs let alone one ACL repaired one.  She laughed while turning up the speed to a speedracing 1.5 mph.  The funny thing was I was walking well with the left leg but the right leg was not cooperating, it's always somethin'.

On to the leg press, single presses at 50lbs today - a big improvement over the wimpy 20lbs I had been doing. (3 sets of 12)

On to propriaception - she straps a 7.5lb weight on my good leg and says "here, stand on this foam thing with the left leg and do leg raises in 3 quadrants with the weighted right leg."  I was like dang, I practiced standing on my left leg all weekend and am pretty good at it at this point, then she throws the foam and weights at me, I guess like BNL said - they never let us win.  "Oh and when you're done do it with your eyes closed."

Then she says cheerily, "hop up" while pointing to the table.  GULP!!!!!  The dreaded massage (read: torture) session.  Actually today was not bad.  I still have the pain at the fibula insertion and since I see the OS Thurs hopefully that question will be resolved.  We did some gentle manipulating and then the moment for measuring came.   Ext # was better today, I don't think it was 0 but she was impressed so that must be good, she is a very hard measurer.  Flex today was 117 with her helping so it wasn't the 118 we were hoping for but at least it wasn't far off - that 1 degree could be measuring error so I'm not all that upset about it.

At this point I think the swelling is what's holding up the flexion, I am still working on all the exercises they gave me and I am really seeing some improvement.  Not as fast as I'd like of course but I'm better this week than I was last week so that's what counts.

TTFN - off to check up on everyone's diaries.   :D

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2008, 07:58:01 PM »
It's all torture but sounds like you've got a great PT group BSG.  You'll be thankful for them when you're back to 100%.  I like the sounds of that foam and weights drill.  I'm always looking for new exercises to challenge myself.  I don't do nearly enough propriopception exercises and I should be.  Thanks.  And as far as your flexion...yes, definitely the swelling that's holding you up. 
05/09  MUA

support