Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08  (Read 97977 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« Reply #390 on: April 03, 2010, 11:55:04 AM »
Thats great news that your OS thinks your knee is fine and just have to build up your quads. Be fantastic if you can start running again at the moment it is a long way before I can start to run again. Just because he says your knee is fine does not mean it is ok you could still have problems as you had a bad knee day last week Sunday so the hylauronic acid injection may help.

Happy Easter, hope you have a good weekend with family and friends.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #391 on: May 19, 2010, 05:21:06 AM »
Hello All:  I have not been here much lately and have to catch up with everyone.  I just wanted to say that things are going well, stairs are just about a non-issue for me and I actually broke out into a little shuffle/jog the other day.  My leg is stronger and I just keep working on it with the leg press, extension, curls, lunges, squats, and whatever else comes to mind.

I hope everyone is doing well, I'm going to catch up on the other threads.

DD
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #392 on: May 20, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »
Glad things are starting to improve for you, it is important to keep on top of your PT as its there to benefit the knee. I am also doing lunges and squats as well as going swimming and going to the gym.

Nick  :) {2010} :)

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #393 on: May 21, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »
Hey Nick, glad to see you are making progress - keep at it you will get there.

I can tell that the level of intensity has everything to do with how the knee is, for awhile I was working my quads very hard and my knee felt great, then last 2 weeks I have slacked off as I strained my back - nothing major - but it has kept me from the gym and I can really feel the difference in my knee. It makes me want to get back in the gym and work my quads.....I'm turning into a gym rat.... :)

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #394 on: May 21, 2010, 02:45:32 AM »
BSG: Glad things are going well for you, mostly.  Sorry about your back. Be careful with that! Back things are no fun! Overall, though, it sounds like you are over the hump and have enough muscle strength to be able to do all you want to do exercise wise. It's a good feeling when you get there, cause then you can be so much more productive with the rehab. Take care!  Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #395 on: May 22, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »
Hi BSG,

You are so right about getting there in the end and seeing some improvments but I will not be satisfied until I can can run again. That was the main reason I had the surgery to be able to run again rather then getting rid of the knee pain. Hope your back strain is no too painful, have a good weekend.

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #396 on: May 23, 2010, 03:57:43 AM »
Hey!! Sorry it's been so long!!  I am sorry to hear you hurt your back...I definitely know how it is to have bad knees with the bad back!  SUCKS!  Hopefully you are right in that it should improve on it's own...or quickly! 

Being a gym rat is healthy as long as you know when to stop or slow down.  I have had a gym membership as long as I have had RSD/CRPS thinking that "next month" I'd get back to the gym.  Those "next months" have lasted 2.5yrs! My husband and I are thinking to start going for walks together...to help me exercise lightly and to help with our relationship.  I am still going through a ton of crap...I actually updated my diary after over a month.  RSD SUCKS!!!! 

Keep us posted on your back!  I hope you feel better so you can back to working out to the fullest!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2010, 11:29:07 PM »
Well, thought I'd post as I saw my original OS today.  Nothing major going on just wanted to get his thoughts on a few things.  Over the last several months I have noticed an increase in the "noise" my knee makes.  It pops, crunches, cracks, snaps, grinds, and just generally makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard.  No pain at all but boy does it sound bad.  Well, the OS basically said that it's something that won't get better and is just due to years of trauma culminating with the ski injury a few years ago.  The ACL and MCL is lax and it always creeps me out when they do the laxity testing  :o   

He said I should not do squats, lunges, leg presses, extensions....I was like - should I just curl up in a fetal position and wait to go?  Running and anything high-impact is out.  He also thinks in the future I should have a scope to clean it out and may end up with a TKR.  Yikes!!!

Well, that's his opinion.  It's nothing I didn't already figure but I know he is right.  I think I will still do the exercises he told me not to do I'll just go easy.  My quads are getting very strong and I think he was surprised at just how strong they were BC they still look pretty shriveled but he could not bend my leg when he tried....I think that was good actually.

He's pretty conservative, old school but well respected and I think he is giving me good advice.

I'm not upset or anything just figure that well, that's what it is and it's up to me to deal with it.  I started a new round of P90X this week but actually think I will switch to Tae Bo as I really enjoy the cardio part of P90X.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for reading.

DD

vinnic

« Reply #398 on: June 19, 2010, 02:52:55 PM »
Wow, that's interesting to say the least Big!  I'm really surprised to hear some of this advice.  Can't imagine not doing the exercises, especially with your recent progress.  I can sort of see the bit on higher-impact activities possibly aggravating the knee, but stopping with the strengthening...hmmm.  I'd think that these could only help the surrounding muscles to aid with the laxity.  Then again, I'm not an OS! 

On the noises, I can relate to this.  Ever since I developed a click last fall, it seems to be increasing with every step.  No pain, just like you, but I can't seem to put my finger on where it's coming from.  Sometimes I feel it more when I haven't done much (for example, after the appendix stage), and other times I feel it more after a good stretch of steady workouts (recently).  May be crepitus, but I'm hoping my OS will attribute it to my weak vmo or tight IT band when I see him next week.  Hope yours sorts itself out and soon.  It is annoying!  Well, good luck with the P90X and/or Tae Bo.  Enjoy the weekend! 

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #399 on: June 19, 2010, 07:18:16 PM »
Hey Nikki, yeah I'm not sure about the doomsday scenario he laid out.  Not really sure why I went to see him other than just all the noise but as we know there's really not much you can do about that.

I think I'll just keep working on it and not think too much about it, I have been doing all those things and I think I'll just forego the high-impact, running type work and get on with it.

Good to hear from you.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #400 on: June 21, 2010, 04:17:03 PM »
Hi BSG,

With all that your knee has been through over the years a TKR in the future may be a good thing if knee going to get worse over the next couple of years. At least now you know what you are dealing with and sounds like the OS appointment went well. Good your quads are strong, to help support the knee more.

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #401 on: August 17, 2010, 01:28:36 AM »
Hi Everyone, I just got back from 2 weeks in Montana - Big Sky Country - and now I'm back in DC....ugh!!

We had a great time and more importantly my knee was fine the entire time.  I don't know if elevation has anything to do with it but golfing, fishing, hiking, etc - I never even noticed anything wrong.  Now 2 days back east at sea level and I can feel the knee swelling again and generally feeling fat. 

.....Oh maybe the fatness is due to all the food and adult beverages we had while we were there......   :)

All kidding aside, the knee is truly a strange being - yes I do feel it has it's own little personality - maybe it just liked Montana better than Wash DC....who knows.

Hope everyone is well, I'm off to check everyone's thread.

DD

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #402 on: August 17, 2010, 05:50:16 PM »
Hi DD,

Glad you had a good time in Montana and great that you knee did not give you too many problems on your vocation or holiday as we know it in the UK. Sounds like you managed to do alot of thing in Montana and had a good time. I not at all surprised that you knee is swollen after all the things you have been doing the last 2 weeks. Take things easy for a few days and ice the knee every couple of hours.

Nick  :) {2010} :)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #403 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49:09 AM »
Thought I would post another update.

Saw my young OS yesterday (he's the one that says "go for it", the old OS says I will need a TKR).  I also saw a PA that was working with him.  I mainly went for just a quick check-up, not really having any issues other than the noise that comes from my knee.

I think I have mentioned it here before but for about the last 6 months - right after a loud pop - my knee has been crunching like you can't believe.  I can't stand to hear it when I am working out and it was sooooo funny when both the PA and the OS came in and they put their hand on my knee and wanted me to flex and extend they both looked like it was fingernails on the chalkboard......so worth it I just laughed.

Anyway, after a thorough exam and discussion they both thought things were good, I have no pain and the crunching is just something to live with.  They speculate that it is broken up cartiledge but as long as it's not causing any problems they don't think I need to do anything but continue strengthening and living life, they even said run if I want but I am still carrying around all this extra weight I gained so I've been walking up and down the hills by our house alot lately.

Thanks for checking in on my story and I'm off to read the other threads.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
Glad your OS appointment went well and found a OS that not saying you need a TKR. If you not having any pain when you hear the crunching then its ok to live with and many people live with clicking and crunching knees without too many problems. It would be good if you are able to run even if its just a short distance its a start. Swimming is the best form of exercise if you want to lose some weight.

support