Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08  (Read 97986 times)

Offline Bruce23

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« Reply #375 on: December 10, 2009, 08:33:12 PM »
Hey BSG,

Glad to hear things are OK.  Research platelet rich plasma, which is what the doc is talking about.  I looked at it last year but couldn't find a practitioner around here.  It seems very interesting and promising.  I wanted it for my shoulder and elbow joints.
Martial arts accident 11/16/07
ACLr + Meniscus trim 4/24/08

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #376 on: December 11, 2009, 12:03:14 AM »
Hi Bruce, glad to hear from you.  This OS is not with COR, I'll PM you the name.  I liked him alot and when the injury 1st occurred I considered going to him but BC he was so new to the area I went to COR.  Oh well, it is what it is so now I am just going to get serious with this thing.

Hey Dancer, LOL I think if the OS doesn't see some improvement he will poo-poo on me!!!!  LOL  How are things going with you, hope all is well.

Molly, so good to get your post, you know I'm not sure about the extension and I actually think it comes and goes.  Some days my knee is great and I don't even think about it, other days it feels swollen and stiff so I think the other day may have been one on those bad days.  In any case I am back to prone hangs and stretching which I needed to do anyway.

I saw the trainer yesterday and see him again tomorrow, I worked out with him in the past and he is really good, I was down to 20% body fat and wayyyy below 200, now not so much, way, waaayyyyy over 20% and 200 so I have some work to do.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

vinnic

« Reply #377 on: December 12, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
Glad to hear about the new OS.  Sounds like he took a good look at things and gave you some good options.  You're brave for attempting the leg extensions (read that over on dancer's thread).  The light weights don't sound harmful at all though, and I do know that this machine really does fire up the quads.  I haven't used this one in a looonnngggg time though - thirteen years maybe since my first partial acl tear.  Hope it works for you and you see some good results.  If/when you do get a new brace, let us know what you end up with.  I see my OS again in May, and by then if I'm still hating my new DJ he'll prescribe a new one and I'm going to insist on a Townsend.  Hopefully by then my muscle bulk will be adequate as well.  Hope you have success with the new trainer sessions - post how it goes! 

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #378 on: December 13, 2009, 03:27:26 PM »
Hi Vinnic, I read all the time and go back and forth on the leg extensions.  Most of the PT's have said to avoid them and most people on here say the same thing.  I think like you said tho' - I am using and going to stick to very light weights.  The other day was 10lbs....LOL.......and we spent time mostly by beginning the movement with the leg fully extended, the trainer holding up the bar and then me slowly lowering it with him there to assist.  I guess it's called doing negatives where you start at the top of the move and then lower the weight.  I did that in the past with him with bench presses and I have read that's where you can really build up strength.  He's pretty hypersenstive to what I can do and I know he will really push me to perform, sometimes annoyingly so.......but I really need this kick in the @$$.

Yesterday and especially today my muscles are very sore, I need to go get on the bike to work out this soreness but you know, it feels good.  It's the first time since I had the injury that I have pushed myself and it also makes me see just how much work I have to do to just get back into some sort of decent shape, I have managed to gain 25lbs and get to 30% body fat in the last year and 1/2 - I started at 190 and 20%.....good thing I'm 6' tall or I'd be that wide.  My clothes don't fit and I was really sinking in to a pretty good depression topped off with some family events that happended over the summer.  I kind of feel now that I am ready to emerge and snap out of this funk and enjoy things again.  Right now my leg is not letting me do that and I am more determined than ever to get back to my happy place....sorry, watched Happy Gilmore last night..... ;D

I do follow your posts, I just haven't been posting much.

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #379 on: January 09, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
Happy New Year and I hope everyone's holiday season was a good one!!

Well, it's been almost a month that I have been going to the trainer and I must say that after much whimpering my knee is feeling much, MUCH better.  I had an episode the second week in where I had lots of pain and the knee was stiff and I could hardly go up and down the stairs.  My trainer was worried that he'd pushed me too hard.  I couldn't do squats or anything.

Then, after a few days it went away completely and I have to say the knee has not felt better in a long time.  It actually feels almost normal, whatever that was.

I have been doing lots of biking, rowing and squats, extensions (10lbs - LOL), curls, presses and feeling really good.  Still not sure about running but I have a feeling that will come.  My quad is still so pathetically small it's shocking sometimes to look at it.  I get frustrated BC I want things to move along faster (imagine that) but the trainer thinks that things are going well, (especially since he's off the hook for what he thought was a re-injury).

We are going back to Lake Tahoe in a few weeks, to the scene of the crime, and tho' I will not be skiing it will be fun to be out there as it is so beautiful.  I remember lying in the snow waiting for the ski patrol and looking at the Lake and the blue sky and thinking about what a beautiful day the guy that ran into me just ruined.  I may try some hiking and cross country skiing but no downhill.  Maybe next year.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #380 on: January 09, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
I know how you are feeling wanting to do things straight away and its good you are making good progress and can do certain exercises that you was unable to do before your surgery. I am sure you will be able to run soon it just takes a while as my physio told me today that recovery from a scope can take a couple of months to a year. I have not been abe to run since October 2007 but hope to run by the spring, missing not being able to run.

Its good you are making progress and your trainer happy with your progress.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #381 on: January 26, 2010, 01:38:12 AM »
Tanks for stopping everyone, it really does mean alot to me to know that we are all in the same boat here on KG.  I went to Lake Tahoe last week - scene of the crime 2 years ago - and actually had a good time.  Didn't ski but made some friends in the bars and drank and ate good food at fun places.  We got 7-10' of snow so it was awesome.  I'll bet the conditions are even better this week.

My leg is still giving me fits.  Some days it's great and others I can hardly use it.  I went to the gym and did a hard workout of squats, lunges, step ups, etc until I couldn't do any more.  The next day I could hardly walk and I was so frustrated.  I see the OS in a week and it doesn't seem like anything has changed.  He wont help me until my leg is stronger and I really think a brace would help.  I guess I'll jut have to be on my own with this.

I'm so disappointed  :'( :'(

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2010, 09:50:39 AM »
I started to go to the gym again this week for the 1st time since my surgery in November and felt ok while at the gym but had pain afterwards in in my good knee that not been operated on. I have good and bad days as well but knee remains swollen and painful, its might be a good idea for both of us to wear a brace until our knees become stronger again.

Glad you had a good time with your friends in Lake Tahoe even if it was the place that caused the start of you knee problems is nice to have a change of scenery once in a while. Hope you have a good weekend.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

vinnic

« Reply #383 on: January 30, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »
Yes, glad to hear you had a good time in Tahoe!  That's one place I haven't been yet, but would love to see.  Well, I have been along 80 from SF to Reno a couple times if that counts.  And that was stunningly beautiful both times from the expressway.  Sounds like you had a great getaway!

As far as the knee, sorry to still hear about the fits.  It's got to be extremely frustrating on the days it acts up for you.  Hope your OS appointment goes well this coming week.  Is he waiting until you have more muscle tone to prescribe a brace (so it fits better)?  Well, I hope that you can manage to build up some strength in the meantime.  The squats, lunges, and other exercises sound good for that!  Are you still doing the leg extension machine too?  Well, best of luck and posts how it goes at your appointment.  Take care! 

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #384 on: February 04, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »
Well, the OS visit went pretty well.  This OS is of the opinion that since it's been 2 years I am not going to build things back overnight.  I know I am being impatient but he seemed to think everything was going well.

He still doesn't think I have full extension and that it may not ever come, while somewhat alarming in all honesty it must only be off a couple of degrees and I don't limp BC of it or anything so although I am still going to work on stretching it I am not really all that upset about that particular issue.

I feel more impatient about everything else, I am still working with the trainer and we are getting more aggressive with the leg, I am doing light leg extensions but he is loading on the weight for the press and I do lots of squats and step ups.  Things are getting easier I must say.  At work we are on the 4th floor and I use the loo (a nod to my UK KG friends) on the 1st floor so I get lots of practice going up and down the stairs, I still can't imagine bounding up and down the stairs again but in time it will come.

The knee itself feels pretty good, I mentioned that at times it hurts right in the front behind the patellar tendon but then when I get warmed up it goes away.  Sometimes it feels like my knee may explode but then it's all good so I don't know what's up with that but he thought I could just work through that.

He mentioned another series of injections for lubrication - hylauronic acid - but I am not really all that thrilled to do anything like that while I am still making progress so we'll see.  We didn't even discuss a brace so I am really thinking that by the time we get to that point I really won't need one.

Thanks to all for all your support, I reread my last post and I was like "who posted that?" I don't remember feeling that down but I guess like my knee I have good days and bad days.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #385 on: February 05, 2010, 04:14:19 PM »
I pleased that your OS appointment went well for you and are seeing some improvements. Its annoying when you are unable to do things because of the knee, I been told by my physio not to go to the gym so often and not to use the cross trainer. Its so annoying when you cannot do something you enjoy because of the knee. I am coming up to 12 weeks post op and knee not improved and could have some scar tissue according to my physio so my knee problem not coming to and end just yet. I also have good and bad days but more bad days since my scope in November and now thinking has surgery made knee worse?

Enjoy the Weekend.

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2010, 12:51:45 AM »
Hello all, just stopping by to say hi, my knee is doing much better and the trainer is really starting to make me work it hard.  It feels so good to do leg presses and lunges and just working hard.  The fatigue the next day reminds me that I am working it and I love it!!

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #387 on: February 27, 2010, 02:52:06 AM »
Leg presses and lunges??? GOSH, I can't imagine lunges!  Unfortunately, I started leg press for the first time in 1yr this past Monday.  I HATE it and it's painful, but just enough pain to be told to push through it.  I am currently getting treated for patellar tendinosis...and have to push through a certain level of pain.  It was hard for me! 

I am so glad you are doing so well!  It has been a long time coming, right??  :)  You had your surgery shortly after me in 2008 and are doing soooo well compared to me...can't really compare it though...just happy you are getting back to normal!  See you my posted response on my blog and you will see my latest activity!!!  Unfortunately, it's over for 3 weeks at the least, but enjoyed it on the night I did it! 

Have a good weekend and it was so good to hear from you!!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #388 on: February 27, 2010, 10:30:06 AM »
Thats great news that your knee is doing well its nice to read a positive post for a change. I am nearly 15 weeks post op and been told by my physio not use leg press and not do any lunges and also been told to stay away from the cross trainer which is annoying as I use to like using it and was fine using it pre op but since surgery can no longer use it.

Farrah gald you are able to use the leg press again even though its painful at least you are making some progress, have a good weekend.

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2010, 01:12:14 AM »
Hello All:

Saw the OS today, he was generally pleased with everything, says keep working on the strength and thinks there is absolutely nothing unstable about my knee it's still just the weak quad.  He really didn't have anything to say about my bad knee days like Sunday where I could hardly walk and had lots of pain.

He mentioned the hylauronic acid injection again but didn't push hard, I guess I'll read more about it and see.  I see him again the end of June.

I told him I hate the trainer and he said that's a good sign of him working me hard.  He also said I could run if I wanted to, that's interesting and I may explore that.

So I'm still on the slow track I guess but it's all good.

Hope everyone is good, I'm off to read about Nick, Farrah, Nicole, Molly, and all my other KG friends.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:14:07 AM by BigSkyGirl »