Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08  (Read 103526 times)

vinnic

Re: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« Reply #360 on: July 14, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »
I'd be freaking out with a crack like that!  Glad to hear that it turned out to be nothing.  I wait for the day that I won't think about my knee so much (and so does my husband, lol).  Anyway, how is the personal training coming along?  Have you started back up with running yet, and if so are there still pain issues?  Well, hope it's going well and that you had a good return to work. Take care and keep enjoying this beautiful summer we're having! 

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2009, 01:49:55 AM »
16 month update

Hello All:  everything is going very well.  We were in Montana the last 2 weeks fishing and golfing and I have to say I really didn't even think about my knee that much.  On the golf course I was able to swing normally and rotate without problem - pretended I was Tiger for a moment.... ;D  And on the river....it was glorious, we waded and fished and I caught a bigger fish than hubby....he was happy for me tho' 'cause by noon I usually have my book out and reading in the raft while he fishes.

I went to the gym several times and worked out on the leg press, I am almost up to my pre-injury weight and I can actually see my quads now.  I measured about 3 weeks ago and had gained back 2 of the 2.5 inches I lost on my op leg.  It feels strong and stable and really good right now.

I still get that crack every now and again and wonder what's up with that but for the most part I really don't even think about the knee most days.  Some days it's a little stiff and I think if I shed this extra 20lbs I gained the last year I would be doing even better but I'm working on that.  Lost 8lbs in July but then the steaks and beer in Montana put it right back on again.
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

vinnic

« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
Great news BSG!  Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.  Have to make it out there myself one day (oh those incredible night skies).  Had a good laugh at the steaks and beer (I fought hard not to gain an ounce on my trip with all that French bread, hehe).  Glad to hear about the strength and size coming back too - it gives me hope when looking at my quads right now!  Hope it continues to go well for you and that you have many more knee-thought-free days!       

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #363 on: August 16, 2009, 01:50:40 AM »
BSG: Sounds like you're over the hump! Great news that strength is coming back...and, great news about the fish. Hope you got some good pictures! Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #364 on: September 07, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »
Hi Guys, I have been lurking over on the cruciate board and keeping up with everyone just don't post much anymore.  The trip to Montana is always so beautiful and we want to move out there when hubby retires.....hopefully sooner rather than later.

I have been doing more and more lately, been trail hiking and the knee feels great!!  I use some poles just for upper body work and I figure while I look like a dork looking for the snow it is giving me a good whole body workout.  Today I came back after our walk and got on the treadmill and actually ran a bit and it was fun....I think I may be turning the corner as far as exercise goes.  Before the ACL tear I ran daily and worked out ith a trainer and such but since about last summer all I have been doing is eating and being lazy.  The way I feel today makes me want to get back to really working out and shedding some of this weight I've gained.

Well, I'm off to the other boards to catch up with everyone, all of you are doing so well and it's fun to watch everyone recover.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #365 on: September 07, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
BSG: Great news! And, great inspiration. I'm actually off in about 20 minutes for my first post-ACLr hike.  Per PT's orders, it is to be short and intense. We'll see how the knee does with it.

Glad that things are going in the right direction for you and that you're over the hump that was keeping you from feeling like you could do the things you wanted to do. MOlly
Ski accident 2/14/09
ACLr allograft 5/27/09

vinnic

« Reply #366 on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:38 PM »
Hey Big, all sounds well!  I hear you on moving West!  My hubby and I are working on it too, but will be a little while longer (shooting for summer at the latest, but we'll see).  What great news regarding running again - sounds like the knee is holding up a little better now.  I just started jumps myself again yesterday after a little trip overseas, getting ready to try jogging in a couple of weeks after my next post-op visit.  The hiking sounds great, and the poles even better!  I sure have to get moving on some upper body work myself!  Take care and keep trekking!!! 

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Focus, patience and determination moves mountains!
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #367 on: September 15, 2009, 05:11:50 PM »
Heya- glad to hear you are doing so well and running!!!
OMG! Did you EVER think we'd get here?
I'm just about ready to run again- def doing more each day.
So glad Montana works for you- I hear it's beautiful.
Wishing you continued wellness!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear
Dec. 11, 2008 ACLr plus 2 Mid & Lateral Meniscal Repairs

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #368 on: October 11, 2009, 04:55:09 AM »
Well, I stepped it up this week and ran/walked more.  About 5 minutes in I had a bit of pain in the MCL area so I slowed to a walk, tried a light jog - really a slow shuffle - and then walk and that went great.  I did 30 minutes total and felt good the rest of the day.  I think the only thing I should have done was ice my knee after working out.

On the off days I have been working on strength training and I am trying to get my diet under control.  It will come it just takes time and effort and I have not been doing any of that for the last year now.

Today we walked around a wine festival for several hours and one of the guys gave out before I did - he has plantar fascia issues - and that makes me happy to only have mcl issues.  I guess we all have issues don't we?

I am so glad everyone is doing so well, I read the newbies posts and feel for them BC we were all there just a short time ago.

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #369 on: October 11, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »
BSG- Good to hear you are still doing well!
I agree- we need to let newbies know that
this type of sitch isn't the end of the world, that
there can be good recoveries, outcomes if we are
diligent and maintain a good attitude!!
BEST to YOU!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #370 on: October 29, 2009, 11:01:06 PM »
Well, things are going well.  I have been doing lots of walking and a bit of jogging on the treadmill.  The leg is feeling stronger and I can feel the difference in the knee now that the leg is getting stronger.

Walked in another 5k this month and it was so much fun.  I have signed up for a 4 mile walk on New Year's Eve so I am really looking forward to that.

Last week I helped out at an event and was on my feet from about 3pm to 11pm.  Wow were my feet and legs sore and my knee was achy.  Not pain or anything just tired as well.  The floor was concrete and it was really the first time I have taxed it like that.  Oh yeah, I also walked 2 miles that morning.

I walked back and forth to a client this afternoon over uneven brick sidewalks and had to smile when I thought that just a short time ago I was wary or even unable to walk such long distances and on uneven surfaces.  Life goes on and my knee is getting better.

I'm off to visit everyone's diary - don't post much anymore but I do come on a read updates and the other threads/diaries often so keep on posting!!

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #371 on: October 30, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »
Glad to hear things are still going well and moving forward.
I'm like you, progressing, still have some 'residual' stiffness
or pulling or tugging if I bend too far- and like you- am amazed
with how I can negotiate uneven terrain again! MINUS the fear
factor! LOL!!! Keep up the good work and keep posting! Cheers!
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #372 on: December 08, 2009, 03:12:06 AM »
Saw a new OS today.  He took x-rays and looked at my pathetic quad and listened to my complaints/observations and I came away with this.

The ACL is rock-solid, he just about yanked me off the table when he was testing it, the MCL - not so much - it's a bit loose but nothing major, I think some strengthening may help with this.  I asked him about a brace and he said as a matter of practice he prescribes all his patients an ACL brace but would not give me one now BC he wants me to work on increasing the muscle mass in my leg, if he gave me one now it would just be too small when I get the leg built back up.

I mentioned the swelling and the trouble kneeling, he said what I think is swelling is most likely some scar tissue and there's not much to do about it, the kneeling tho' was interesting - he thinks the tibial screw is placed high and that is causing the discomfort when kneeling, of course can't do anything about that except go back in and I'm not going that route for now.

I demonstrated the cracking, crunching and all sorts of other noises that come from my knee on bending/flexing and he said he has some thoughts on that but wants to wait until I get stronger, it's most likely bone fragments or something.

So, I am glad I went to see this guy, I really liked him and I was afraid he was going to poo-poo me so I almost didn't go but I left with the following:

1 - either get to a trainer and build up the leg or go back to PT - I start with the trainer on Wed
2 - work on extension - yes I am back to having extension parties again, he thought the leg was at about 4 degrees - kinda bummed about that
3 - see him again in 6 weeks for a reassessment and brace fitting, by then he thinks I will be strong enough to begin running again
4 - consider some sort of plasma/platelet injection?  I'll have to research this one but he said they take your own blood and spin it down to get the platelets and then inject it back into the joint and it's supposed to help, NFL players do this......

So, I need to get on the stick, I know if I go back to see him in Jan and nothing has changed he will poo-poo me so at least it's a goal, also an eraly resolution - maybe 2010 will be a better year.....

Offline dancer49

• Forum Faithful
    • Branding4Newbies
« Reply #373 on: December 08, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »
BSG- thanks for the update! Glad he did not pooh -pooh you on it all.
Good luck on your strength training again- work on your extension!!!
Whip it into shape lady!!  8) :P 8)
Keep us updated on your progress.
Take care!
Oct. 8, 2008 ACL tear

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #374 on: December 08, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
BSG: Glad that you found someone you trust and got some solid info about what's going on with your knee. I'm curious, did you have a sense that extension might be a problem? Or was that a surprise? In any case, I'm glad that you have a plan. Good luck with the new trainer! Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
ACLr allograft 5/27/09