Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08  (Read 103539 times)

vinnic

Re: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2009, 06:08:08 AM »
Way to go BSG!  Funny because I finally just finished reading through your post-op diary this weekend.  Found it extremely helpful as far as what to expect on the road ahead.  It's so nice to hear a wonderful ending to your story and that you've returned to all that you love doing pre-injury.  Your posts on switching therapists and your experience with going up/down stairs were particularily helpful.  I had to switch therapists this past summer too for similar reasons, and I had a lot of trouble dealing with stairs pre-aclr and it'll be nice to get that tackled to move on to bigger and better activities that I love too.  Thanks for all your advice on the cruciate board too!  What a great ending/beginning for your knee.   :)

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »
Wow BSG....1 year!  Congrats on the awesome news

My knee's seem to be doing well.  I still sound like Rice Krispies (snap, crackle, pop) when I walk after sitting at my desk for a long period of time but it doesn't hurt.  As long as the knees don't hurt and don't swell up I think I'm good :-)  2009 might be the first year since 2005 that I haven't had surgery....woo-hoo!!!!
9/7/2005 LK partial meniscectomy
3/1/2006 RK partial meniscectomy
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
2/14/2007 LK ACLR allograft
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear
4/8/2008 RK ACLR allograft

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »
Thanks BNL, I have been thinking about you and the other April ACLr's.  It's so hard to believe that it's been a year now.  You did so well with your rehab and had to do it twice!!  I love the snap, crackle, pop description - that is my right knee and it bothers me at times but I mostly try and ignore it.  My ankle snaps as well so I can't sneak up on anyone anymore... ;D

Are you back to biking?  If so, be careful I don't want to see you rev up (get it, rev.....heheheheh) your diary for anything but an update that's all good.  I am finding I have a bit of stiffness first thing in the morning but think it's due to this extra weight and my poor fitness level lately.  I have been lifting weights but need to up the cardio and revamp the diet to lose some of this goo.

Let us know how you are doing!!  I'll look for a post on your diary!!
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2009, 09:35:06 PM »
I just read your 1-yr diary post!  Congrats on getting so far.  I will not forget your struggles!  I know it happens to the best of us.  Your diary is definitely useful for people going through the same surgeries or similar as you!  Your full recovery took exactly a year, right?  I will not forget when you wanted to give up at times!  You kept going and now you are doing more than anyone else on KG (well most of us).  Haha!  It's good to see a post op diary finish with good things! 

I have decided to write a book on my experiences.  It has been recommended to me many times, and I think it may be a good idea.  I will not start the book until there is an end to the story...hopefully this year :) 

Well just wanted to say congrats!  Keep helping other KGs with your positive support! 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »
Thanks Farrah, you were there throughout along with the April ACLr's Lenore, Nevella, Candace, and many others to always offer an encouraging word.

I follow your thread but don't always post and I think of you often.  I could never be as strong as you have been/are being with your struggles.  I don't post mostly 'cause I just don't know what to say.  I am so sorry for all the issues and admire your strength and tenacity!!  You don't give up!!  I like how you get out and volunteer at the shelter and make jewelry and look for interviews and just generally don't let your knee get in the way.

We are going wine-ing this weekend.  We leave for CA tomorrow to go to Santa Barbara Wine Country.  It's one of our favorite places to vacation - and where the movie "Sideways" is based upon.  DH is such a wino, he has taken sommelier classes and everything, me.....I just drink Zinfindels with good cheese and salami and bread for snacking and let him espouse on the "fruits" of the day.  And it drives him crazy that I like Merlot...... 8)

With everything you are dealing with thanks for thinking of me!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:25:48 PM by BigSkyGirl »

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #350 on: April 16, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »
Have a great mini-vacation!!!  Drink a few glasses for me b/c I know it's a luxury, but I hate it :)  I just don't like the taste of any wine and I have tried many of them.  I can't drink right now anyway.  Oh well.  For once in 15 months I actually was craving a nice big strawberry daquiri!  B/c of my morphine and all the other meds, I couldn't.  I should make myself a non-alcoholic one sometime. 

Well so glad you are doing well.  Keep doing all that you can!  One day I will be there with you!  :) 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #351 on: May 22, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »
Well, today the weather was GLORIOUS!!!!  So I went to Home Depot and gots lots of plants and flowers and such and spent the morning gardening.  Wow, what a difference a year makes, I was able to walk up and down the hill without issue and carry the bags of soil and mulch and squat and even kneel a bit without any problems.

I still have swelling and numbness and I was thinking of seeing the OS for that.  Icing doesn't seem to have any effect on the swelling and BTW - I can actually see my VMO now.........hoo-ray!!!!   ;D :D ;D :D

So, I have been going to the pool more now and I go back to work FT in June.  I have been off since Dec so lots of time to sit around and gain weight.  You'd think with all this time off I'd get in shape but nooooooo.....oh well, looking forward to getting back in the workforce.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #352 on: May 23, 2009, 01:50:19 AM »
Sorry you still have the swelling and numbness!  That's great though that you can see your VMO!!  I was looking at some of my pics before knee surgery and my muscles were huge!  Now I am a big pile of mush!  I have also gained weight and embarassed to see old friends.  That's great that you get to go back to work FT soon!!  It's tough working while in pain or going through recovery.  Good job on your yard work!  You have really come a long way just in the last few months besides a few nagging problems.  I bet you are thrilled! 

Sorry such a short post....getting sleepy from a new med i started just a few mins ago.  Have a good holiday weekend!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

vinnic

« Reply #353 on: May 23, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
Glad to hear it's going great BSG.  It's nice to see you can do things without problems.  Sorry to hear about the swelling/numbness though.  Congrats on the VMO!  Can't wait to hit that milestone.  Good luck returning to work in June.  In the meantime, enjoy your weekend! 

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2009, 01:55:49 AM »
Went to see the OS last week, what an @$$-hole!!  I never much liked him and it was one of his partners that did the surgery I just followed up with him when the other guy moved.

Anyway, I am seeing a trainer and he wanted to know what I should not do and get a medical clearance.  I wanted to ask the OS about the swelling anyway so I figured I'd go see him.  When I mentioned the trainer request the OS said "maybe I should just send him your file for him to review"    :o  - now I know this guy to be a jerk so I was like "really?!"....    ::) .....  he looked at me like no, not really and it went downhill from there.

He looked at my knee and tested the grafts.  Said the MCL was still lax and that will probably not heal.... ??? .....ever...... :-\ and said I had pattellar tendonitis but didn't say what to do about it and then said no running ever..... :(  I also asked him if I should use a brace when skiing or such and he said I should but then just left it at that.  I guess I could have pushed for answers but at this point I just wanted to leave BC I figured he is just wasting my time and I need to go see another OS.

So, after I waited for him to write a disertation on what's wrong with my knee to the trainer (not what the trainer asked for) I went to see the PT, she took a look at the note....looked at me and said no leg extensions, running, pounding, squats past 90 degrees, and keep my knee over my toes when doing lunges.  Ya'd think the OS could've just said that..... :P

So, I was pretty upset at the never run again thing but after thinking about it for a few days I'm ok with it.  There are plenty of other things to do that will keep me in shape and I really like the pool and deep water running.

I start my new job Monday and the trainer I've been seeing is really good and wants to get my legs stronger and I need to drop the weight I have gained this year anyway so it's all good and I'll just get a copy of my records and see someone else.  In the meantime I'm off to read about patellar tendonitis.

Hope everyone's weekend is good!!   8)

vinnic

« Reply #355 on: June 08, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
Sorry again to hear about the crappy news.  Hope you get it all sorted with a new OS.  In the meantime, good luck being back at work and with the trainer.  At least it sounds like the trainer knows what's going on!  Hopefully, you'll beat the tendonitis and hit the ground running soon (or at least have some relief from any pain, swelling, or numbness issues)!  Take care. 

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #356 on: June 09, 2009, 09:08:23 PM »
BSG: I'm also sorry about your news.  I don't think that patellar tendonitis is that uncommon and I also think it's treatable. My boss had knee replacement last summer and he now has patellar tendonitis.  It's basically an overuse injury that he got during his rehab.  He has to be careful not to overdo it and rest a few days when it does flare. My sister also has a touch of it...she fell off a mountain bike, landed with her knee on a rock, and got a really severe impact injury (although no ligament damage, thankfully).  She overdid her rehab...kept going when everything was swollen and sore, and now has patellar tendonitis.  Her PT and OS are not too worried about it, although it's slowed down her recovery.  She's really bummed because she is a crazy cyclist and one of the things she can't do right now is cycle.  But, no one seems to think it's a long term thing...just that she needs to take things much slower and be careful not to flare it up. High doses of ibuprofen are also in order.

Definitely get a new OS if your current one is a jerk. I think my OS is a bit of a dick.  He really likes to be right and likes to show off how much he knows. Likes to blame his underlings for things.  That type. I decided pre-surgery that I could live with him as long as he was a good surgeon (which I'm told he is and have no reason to doubt) and what was much more important was a good working relationship with my PT, since I need to work much more closely with the PT. I'm just hoping that I can continue to stomach my distaste for OS' personality through a year of follow-up visits.  I think I can, but if he does anything that feels counterproductive to my recovery, I'm out of there. 

Good luck with your new job! Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2009, 01:38:17 AM »
I thought I'd update, I had posted and nice long story about the knee and all but then the Board crashed, oh well.

Anyway, the new job is going very well, kind of like riding a bike and I have been doing lots of little things to help them until they work me into the schedule.  you know the new guy always gets the work no one else wants to do.

I have been seeing a trainer now for almost a month.  I am feeling stronger and the leg is getting stronger and I really feel like at some point I may be able to run again.  There is still lots of cracking popping and an occasional scream from the knee - mostly in the MCL area.  It seems to me I should have been in a brace for a longer time than I was......and that may have helped heal it tighter but you never know.

Hi Molly, as far as the tendonitis maybe it's just something to work through.  My knee is feeling much better and not so tight although I do get a bit of an electric shock feeling when I press on the distal side of the incision.  Maybe with time that will go away but all in all I feel pretty good these last few weeks.  Thanks for stopping by!!   :D

vinnic

« Reply #358 on: June 26, 2009, 01:55:50 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear work is going well.  Even better is hearing about the trainer.  That's great the leg feels stronger and you feel you might be able to run again.  Good thing you were able to get the medical clearance from the "jerk" for the trainer.  Have you looked into seeing another OS?  Maybe you won't need to if the leg continues to improve.  My OS cleared me to begin jogging, jumping, etc., but my PT and I both agree I'm not ready yet!  I think it'll be awhile, and I'd like to be a little more fit overall with this weight gain.  God knows I don't need any extra baggage to stress the knee just yet.  Well, hope it continues to go well and keep us posted!  Good luck and enjoy your weekend. 

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #359 on: July 12, 2009, 02:20:28 AM »
Hello all.  I just wanted to post a funny thing here, this am I was making waffles and went to turn and get something by the sink.  My upper body turned but my lower body lagged a bit and when my left leg turned the loudest "crack" I had ever heard eminated from my knee.  For a moment I was like  :o ......  Well, all is fine just a little scary even after all this time.  I had no pain, swelling, nothing and the knee/leg worked just fine today.

I found it funny tho' that after all this time I was still so hypersensitive about the knee.....wonder if that will ever go away....

support