Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08  (Read 92632 times)

Offline Bruce23

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 01:39:50 AM »
Ouch!!

I have been doing the lying prone thing from day one and I think it should be called cruel and unusual punishment.  Period!
Martial arts accident 11/16/07
ACLr + Meniscus trim 4/24/08

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 02:37:12 AM »
BSG, one exercise that is part of my nightly PT routine until I have full extension is to sit on the couch with my heal on the coffee table.  My butt should be far enough on the edge of the couch to allow a full extension.  If you don't feel it this way, you can add some weight onto your knee like an ice pack or something.  My ice pack is heavy enough to push mine down.  So that is what works for me.  It hurts, but it supposedly good for you!  I had surgery 4 months ago and still dealing with extension.  I am having unusual issues though and also a different surgery than you guys.

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
I agree with you BNL I don't think it is really 0.  I do find it straightens my leg a bit but it's such a hassle to get in and out of.......like not having a straight leg is not a hassle....I'd better rethink my priorities!

Bruce you are right about the cruel and unusual part but it did help me get to -3 pre-op and maybe that''s why you are already at 0 so I have resolved today to spend time lying around on my stomach doing nothing......never thought I'd miss working so much!

Farrah - I have been following your ordeal and I just have to say - you go girl - I am rooting for you!!!  I guess I am going to have to take the OS up on his put weight on knee suggestion....     :-[  Funny how I sit on the couch with my LK on table and it's so tight and uncomfortable and then I put my RK out and it's like I could sit there all day.  Is it the hammies that are holding things up?  I don't get any pain or anything other than discomfort in the back of the knee, I wonder if heat on the back of the knee would loosen it up?  Up until now I have just been icing all over.

Sometimes I want to tell the PT to just sit on it, literally!   ;D
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 11:00:22 PM »
End of week 3:

Well, I hope the insurance company doesn't ask what is happening at PT 'cause they will probably cut me off for non-advancement (is that a word?).

Today's session I called Groundhog Day.  We started with the ever popular towel under the achilies and the PT performing CPR on my knee.  Then we progressed to her putting my calf on her shoulder keeping my leg straight with one hand on my foot keeping it dorsi-flexed while the other was on my knee.  After what seemed like a few hours we then had the big finale where she pushed on my calf with her shoulder and pressed on my knee with her hand.  I just about went out the window....  Let's do it again....not!!

After all that ext was -6   >:(  and I got what I am now calling "the lecture" about ext and how it will lead to problems and yada, yada, yada work on it!

Then we went onto the same 'ol exercises but today I had some pain under my knee-cap and upon FWB at a point where my knee moves thru the ROM then once it was passed that point no pain.  She didn't like that so we stopped and went to the shuttle, no pain there.

So today was a 3 steps back kinda day, in fact this whole week was one big backwards movement.  I'm kind of past being upset about it I am more angry about it.  I sit here day after day in the extension torture position and stretch my hammies and I'm losing ext - I guess I'm not doing it right.  This weekend I'll be in the prone position every chance I get, it's kind a challenge tho'.  I am 6'2" with 36" inseam - there are not many things that I can hang my legs off..   ;D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 11:45:24 PM »
BSG, thanks for your support! It really helps a lot!! 

I hope your extension improves.  Did you ever try my suggestion?  Did you ask your PT about it?  It is painful, but it is suppose to help.  After I do that exercise, I can't bend my knee for about 30 minutes without pain.  I assume that's normal.  I do think that your hamstrings can prevent extension.  Are you doing a lot of hamstring stretching?  I think if you have any tightness, it could prevent the extension.  Now if it hurts to fully extend while trying to walk, then that could be a problem too...that is my problem.  It hurts to straighten my leg all the way when I walk, so I don't.  I don't care right now.  I will eventually get it back if they can figure out where my pain is.  Unfortunately my knees naturally don't straighten right now b/c of the 6 years of knee problems I guess.  My PT always compares my surgery knee extension with my other leg, and always forgets that my nonsurgery knee isn't at 0 anyway.  Oh well. 

I wish you the best of luck with your extension.  Are you still on crutches?  Just curious.

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 11:46:33 PM »
BSG - Sorry to hear about your progress report.  Don't you love that lecture?  Today my lecture was on swelling, and you can't get stronger until swelling goes down...blah blah blah.  I would pay money to see a PT be a PT patient.  Now that would be fun to see  :)
I've heard the bar is a great place to gain extension.  I say our "extension party" should be held at the local Irish Pub  ;)
9/7/2005 LK partial meniscectomy
3/1/2006 RK partial meniscectomy
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
2/14/2007 LK ACLR allograft
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear
4/8/2008 RK ACLR allograft

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 12:51:25 AM »
Trying to do an exercise bike at 6'2"?  Wow!  You're never going to get any ROM out of that sucker.  You'll have to find another way to gain ROM for flexion.  I don't think the seat on the bikes go up that far do they?  I needed the midget version at only 5'4".  I have the seat pulled up so far on my recumbent bike my face is almost stuck to the monitor. 

Don't worry about not getting all of your extension yet.  It will come slowly.  The swelling always slows things down.  It doesn't really sound like you went 3 days backward.  It just feels like it.  I say on those crappy PT days just go home and have a good cry.  Always makes me feel better.  And keep the anger...it will make you work even harder tomorrow.  If it makes you feel any better, I have extension but my flexion is still only around 120 even at 5 months out.  It's coming ever so slowly! Ugh!

Hang in there.  Tomorrow will be a better rehab day.  Sounds like you are all struggling.  (Accept for that show-off "T" of course--are you listening T?)  Ha! Ha!  You know I'm just kidding, right?
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline MrsB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 01:15:10 AM »
BSG, I agree with lenore.....next PT will be better!  We are all getting closer but it's a long road.
Oh, I love your CPR description, that's the best way to describe that technique I have ever heard. The one I loathe is where they push down right above your knee and pull up with your ankle... oooowww!

BNL I second the irish pub extension party.... yuuuuuummmm.....beeeer.  ;D
12/15/07- Complete ACL tear, MCL sprain, fractured and deeply bruised tibia while skiing (3rd day of the season!)
04/09/08- ACLR using my own Patellar Tendon

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 01:38:28 AM »
You know, I'm thinking that several pints of black and tan would probably do wonders for our extension   :D  There is an Irish Pub by the house - meet you guys there in an hour......

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »
Hi Farrah - I do sit on the couch with my leg on the coffee table, I found it helps if I also put my good leg up BC then I feel just how tight the bad leg is.  I usually sit there until I can no longer stand it and flex the knee a bit and then repeat ad infinitum.....  What does your PT say about the extension?  Is this something that ever resolves?  I have seen numerous people when I am out walking with a slightly bent leg and think "that will be me" the PT has also said that in extreme cases they take you back into surgery and put you out just to flex and ext your leg.   ???

My leg is also very stiff after I do the table thing and then that causes me to walk a little, ok - alot, peg-legged.  I have a surefire routine for Halloween if it last that long - I can go as a pirate and just say "arghhhh" while I am walking all peglegged.   :)

I am still on the crutches, I find they help me walk better getting the heel, toe bending leg and actually walking thing going instead of the peg-leg shuffle without them.  I do alot of FWB exercises and I really think it is mostly me being afraid (there I go again) to go without them.  The PT said I should really start weaning from them this week but she also wants me off them only if I am walking properly.

LOL Lenore - I have a very good friend that is 5' nothing and we used to play alot of golf together.  She would always get mad BC I would walk so fast she was just about running.  Everyone always got a kick out of seeing us together.  BTW her husband is 6'3", my hubby is.........5'7"

Mrs. B - I agree the knee/ankle thing is just as bad.  We should start a poll of all the exercises and see which ones are considered the worst.

So, this weekend I went to the mall and then Hubby took me to one of our favorite restaurants where I had a burger and a couple of beers.  The first since the surgery.  I think the beers did help a bit.....at least in the morale department   ;D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »
Hello BSG, I haven't talked to my PT about my extension in a long time b/c I haven't really been going for the past 4-6 weeks b/c of pain.  I keep comparing my two legs in the mirror to see how bent the surgery one is and it isn't too bad.  I am probably 3-4 degrees off.  One time I measured at PT a few weeks ago and it was 6 degrees off!!!!  My PT flipped out and pushed it down in this contraption and made me hold it for 15 minutes.  I hated that!!  I haven't had to do it in a while.  I hate how working on extension on the coffee table feels afterwards.  It is so badly painful (good painful I guess). 

If your extension is a huge concern after a period time, they can do an MUA...manipulation under anaesthesia. This is where they put you under like they did for surgery and try to force your knee into extension or complete flexion...whichever you are having difficulties with.  I heard this is very painful afterwards, but it helps.  You are still early after surgery, so I am sure you will get it back.  It takes time. 

Thanks for the thoughts posted on my diary :)  It means so much to have so much support on here!!  I never thought a website could help me so much! 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 10:50:38 AM »
Hi BSG,  Sounds like you're still battling the crutches, no crutches issue.  Seems like if you're doing lots of FWB exercises you should be able to get off them really soon.   I know everyone has their opinion on this but trust your PT and OS on that one.  You really need to count on the strength of your legs and develop the correct muscles to walk properly again.  You'll lose the pegleg as the swelling goes down and your extension comes back. 

Burger and beers with the hubby sounds nice.  It's good you're getting out and enjoying life.  I think that's the most important part of rehab.  Have another pint for me!!!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
Beginning of week 4 post-op:

PT session #10

Today my knee felt stiff and I was sure the PT's extendometer (what do they call the measuring thingie anyway?) was going to register in the high digits again.  Well, she just put me on the shuttle to warm up and then we measured......-4!!!  Yea!!!!!! That's 3 degrees gained this weekend!!!   :D

She was really pleased and thought it was the prone hang that helped, I think it was the adult beverages I had this weekend but we'll just keep that our little secret.   ;)

The rest of todays session was the same, exercises with the seated resisted hamstring curl added and finally....the stationary bike.

Now I need to work on the flexion a bit - it's always somethin' - I'm at 105 but she said the protocol we are following has me at 120 this week so I left with a little bit of flexion homework and the same ol' extension routine.

So it seems that this weekend something finally went right.  I spent most of the time either in the prone hang or with my knee propped on the coffee table.  I stretched the @#%& out of my hammies and iced, ice, baby.

Oh yeah, almost forgot!!!!  The rest of the April ACLrs are already off the crutches but today she took me down to one and she said we will be stick-free by the end of the week since I was walking so well.  I really have been working on my gait as well as the extension so I guess that goes to show ya that practice may not make perfect but it seems to have made a difference this weekend.

TTFN, off to check up on everyone else's diaries.

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 09:57:29 PM »
Way to go BSG!  Those prone hangs feel fantastic!  ::)
9/7/2005 LK partial meniscectomy
3/1/2006 RK partial meniscectomy
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
2/14/2007 LK ACLR allograft
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear
4/8/2008 RK ACLR allograft

Offline MrsB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 10:05:19 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Hooray BSG!!! ;D ;D ;D

knew you could do it!
12/15/07- Complete ACL tear, MCL sprain, fractured and deeply bruised tibia while skiing (3rd day of the season!)
04/09/08- ACLR using my own Patellar Tendon