Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08  (Read 93598 times)

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »
Well, I thought i would start my diary as I find I have to jump around on everyone else's that I horned on in the last few weeks.  I just want to say again how thankful I am to T, Mrs. B, BNL10yr, Lenore, and everyone else who helped me, it sure is nice having you guys to talk with.

Recap:

02/11/08 - tore LK ACL, MCL, fractured fibula skiing in CA, had MRI to confirm and began pre-op rehab then.

04/14/08 - ACLr using own patellar tendon

04/21/08 - began post-op rehab

I had an eventful couple of days, yesterday was day 2 of PT and then I went shopping for flowers (morale booster) and groceries (tummy booster) and today was 1st post-op visit to Dr.  I also went out to lunch with hubby and MIL.  (BTW - my leg has let me know both days that it does not appreciate all the activity, by last night it was screaming at me and tonight it is a little painful but I popped a couple of tylenol and I'm lying in bed icing now so it is feeling better)

PT - Ext -3, Flex 99.  Yahoo!  Pre-op my numbers were ext -3 and 126 flex so the PT was happy and said the flexion will come.  LOL at the elec stim comments - I had some of that pre-op but I think it's to get your quads to fire and mine are doing well so they haven't mentioned it to me lately.

DR - his tech came in and said "take off the brace and I'll get the tool for the staples"  GULP!!!  I thought of you T!  She came back in with this little mini plow-like looking thing in her hand and proceeded to pop out the staples - all 15 of them.  You were right T - it really wasn't bad at all.

The Dr came in and spent a few moments surveying his handiwork and proclaimed it good, no signs of infection or anything else but healing happening.  I told him about the ext/flex numbers and he was like "wow", then he put his hand on the top of my quads and I got a 2nd "wow" when I was able to tense my muscle for him.  Two "wow's" in one visit - that will be hard to top!!  He told me I didn't have to wear the brace at all and as far as the crutches he wants me to be walking normally before I shed them.  Whether that's tomorrow or next week he said it didn't matter just that I make sure I develop a normal gait.  I was glad 'cause for me that takes off the pressure of getting rid of them.  He maintains that there is nothing wrong with using them and he'd rather see me walking normally then limping around without them.  Kind of motivates me to get walking more actually - I guess he is a reverse pysch as well as OS........ 

So tomorrow is day 3 of PT with many more sessions to come, the extension is killing me but I am so wanting to get to 0.  My PT jokes (I think)  about sitting on my knee and the OS said I could get a backpack and put stuff in it and put it on my knee while it was out straight.......I looked at him and was like "yeah, sure thing doc!!"   

Mrs B - since we both had the patellar tendon graft I wanted to say that he also mentioned that I have no restrictions on bending and that in order to lessen the chance of scar tissue I should really work on the flex as well.  Has anyone on your end said that as well?  Just when I think I am clearing one hurdle another one pops up - I never really thought of scar tissue.  I still have some loss of sensation on the outer part of the incision.  The area close to the inside of knee cap has re-gained feeling so that was good.

Well today was PT day 3:

Word of the day is SETBACK!!!  Ext was crappy the PT didn't tell me but it was around -12...!  Flexion was good but she has told me that it is not the important issue here, extension is everything!!

The only thing I can think of is that I just overdid it the past couple of days.  I went out shopping and eating and got caught up on paperwork and such and didn't ice, elevate or any of that.  I also spent time on heel slides and such which caused a pain behind my knee last night.  The PT says that's my hammies being tight and my homework for this weekend is to work on extension and hamstring stretches.

All I can say is BUMMER!!! I really felt like things were going well and now I feel so depressed.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:33:38 PM by BigSkyGirl »
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Bruce23

• Forum Faithful
Re: BSG's ACLr - 14 April 08
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »
BSG,

I think it is normal to see some fluctuation as you improve.  Don't try to find a reason to blame yourself. You are working hard and making great progress.  Don't give this more thought than it deserves.  Just keep up the good work and you will be just fine!
Martial arts accident 11/16/07
ACLr + Meniscus trim 4/24/08

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:10:10 PM »
BSG - Bummer...but I'm sure you will be at 0 before you know it!
9/7/2005 LK partial meniscectomy
3/1/2006 RK partial meniscectomy
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
2/14/2007 LK ACLR allograft
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear
4/8/2008 RK ACLR allograft

Offline MrsB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:36:20 PM »
Sorry about the setback BSG. Extension and flexion fluctuate, it's normal.
Work hard on that extension this weekend and I am sure it will be back by your next PT visit.
YOU CAN DO IT!!! ;D

Thinking good extended thoughts for you.

12/15/07- Complete ACL tear, MCL sprain, fractured and deeply bruised tibia while skiing (3rd day of the season!)
04/09/08- ACLR using my own Patellar Tendon

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »
Thanks Everybody!!

I don't know why I am so hard on myself but it was soooooo frustrating this afternoon.    :'(   My knee is still real stiff and sore in the back.  I guess I will work on my hammies this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:29:19 AM by BigSkyGirl »

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:33:13 PM »
Hi BSG.  Great to see you've started your own postop diary.  I'm watching you!!!
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »
Well, after all the fretting and drama of last night it seems my knee is feeling a bit better today.   :)

I got up about 8am and went downstairs to look for my hinged brace.  After a search and getting breakfast, paper, and coffee I plopped on the couch and set the brace to full extension.  After the caffeine infusion I was able to move around and puttered on the deck watering the plants (morale booster).  I am going to continue to use the brace when I am sitting around this weekend to help me with the extension and ice, ice, ice.

Pain is practically nil now, all that happens now is my leg gets a little (ok, alot) tired by early evening and I pop a Tylenol for that.

Sleeping almost thru the night now which is nice.  I find keeping a pillow between my knees helps and for me I sleep on my right side.  I had a torn MCL so I think that may still be healing as when I try to lie on my left side the knee feels a little odd.

So, it seems as if things are better than yesterday and after all, isn't that the plan?!

Offline MrsB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 11:37:35 PM »
Woohoo! Glad things are better today!!

Nothing like getting outside for a little to make you feel better, huh?
12/15/07- Complete ACL tear, MCL sprain, fractured and deeply bruised tibia while skiing (3rd day of the season!)
04/09/08- ACLR using my own Patellar Tendon

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
Apr 27 - 13 days post-op

Well, today was good.  When I woke up my knee felt pretty good, usually it's kind of stiff and I have to move slowly at first.  It is still hard for me to do the SLRs tho'.  I am beginning to worry - well, not worry - but the  leg sure is weak.  I'll ask my PT tomorrow.

Hubby made me pancakes for breakfast - his 1st time but they were good and I have learned that when someone else is doing things for you - don't complain or supervise too much.

We went out to the grocery store and I am getting around much better now - my OS doesn't want me off the crutches until I am walking normally but it is a real drag with 2, I spent alot of time today putting most of the weight on my leg and using one crutch for support.

We are home now and my leg is letting me know it did not appreciate all the activity despite the 2 tylenol I took earlier.  You know what tho' - I think that's ok 'cause I figure that at least I am out doing something and if my leg wants to bark a little that's ok - I'm just gonna tell it to deal with it, we still have all my exercises to go for today.

You are so right Mrs. B, getting outside is such a morale booster!!!

Well, time for the brace extension torture session.

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:59:09 PM »
PT session #4:

Well, after a weekend of self-inflicted discomfort I headed to the PT session this am with much trepidation.  My knee felt pretty stiff and I thought "great she's gonna sit on it!"

When I got there we skipped the bike and went straight to the torture....er, exercises.

The usual, SLRs but this time she put 5-6 lbs on my upper calf, as if I don't already have trouble with the lag, but she had me do mostly the abductors/abductors rather then on my back.  I have to say sometimes it seems like I cannot lift my leg off the sheet at home but then I get to PT and voila it's a miracle!

Then we progressed to some additional exercises:

sissy squats to 45 degrees
sitting on edge of bed letting leg dangle and raising lower leg to about 40 degrees
using the thera-band - loop behind knee and stand with both feet on floor - let knee bend up on toes and then push knee back into band

add that to

quad sets
SLRs
toe raises
hamstring stretches
patellar mobs
sitting with leg in passive extension constantly

I then got to walk around the room on one crutch with all the PTs and PT students and another ACLr patient watching (she's about a month ahead of me), for some reason when I walk with one crutch my right ankle pops - loudly.  So I'm step, pop, step, pop, step, pop....one of the PT students looks at my PT and asks if that's my knee.  We all laughed and I'm like no just the next thing to come to rehab for....

Then came measurement time..... ext -4, flex 100.  The PT was pretty happy with flexion but as always the ext is an issue, we discussed where I am in the rehab protocol and I actually seem to be right where I should be.  She wants me to work on the extension - duh - and said I probably have another few weeks to get it before it becomes a critical issue.  She really thinks it will come so here I sit with my ankle on a rolled towel and ice pack on the knee.

Hope everyone is well, speak soon!!

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:05:31 PM »
Hey BSG,  Sounds like you are doing great with the PT.  I love the step pop, step pop.  I get snap, snap, snap, snap when I do squats because both knees make noise now.  Keep up the good work.  You're doing really well!
05/09  MUA

Offline TtheArab

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 03:36:14 PM »
Hey BSG

Sounds like a good PT session. I am concerned about ext too tho as I just dont think it is where it should be and I don't really get measurment like you guys. I was also told to stay away from weighted exercise and just let the joint heal until week 6-8.

Well next PT is Friday and I will ask her to measure to be able to share and see what to do next.

:)

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 10:43:36 AM »
I know people that are months out and still trying to get extension.  Sounds like you guys are all so close.  I wouldn't stress about it.  It will come.  Just keep working at it gradually.  T has the right idea with not stressing that joint too much.  If you were at 20 degrees away I'd be worried but you are all within 5 degrees it sounds like.  That's great for how early on you are. 

BSG, the stiffness/achy feeling may hang around a while.  I still have it even at over 5 months.  Varies with each person.  Keep up the hard work and try not to get discouraged with the slow progress.  It's so monotonous but necessary. 

05/09  MUA

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
Post-op day 16 - PT session 5

Extension -6, flexion 106.  Seems like what I an gaining in flexion I am losing in extension.

So bummed about the extension - lost a couple of degrees today, my PT says I still have a couple of weeks but she has emphasized from the git-go (pre-op) that extension is king!!

So today we added a few more exercises, good thing I am not working 'cause doing all the exercises twice daily really takes some time.

New:

Stood on mini trampoline and weight-shifted
Stood on bad leg for balance - it was pretty tough but it was FWB so maybe I can toss the sticks soon
Sat on exercise ball and lifted good leg balancing on bad leg - that was pretty easy

And......everyone's favorite.........

Lying prone on bed with knees hanging off edge to work on extension - it's actually way funner than the brace locked at 0.......not!!

I saw another patient getting fitted for a dyna-splint and I wondered if that will be me in a few weeks......

Offline bnl10yr

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 01:30:26 AM »
BSG - I'm sure you will get your extension soon.  Instead of having the brace locked at 0, maybe you should try the laying prone thing at home.  I honestly don't think that the brace locked at 0 is really 0.  That is just my opinion.  You can also sit on the floor with a towel (or something tall) under you foot/ankle while doing quad sets.  Try this out.
9/7/2005 LK partial meniscectomy
3/1/2006 RK partial meniscectomy
1/1/2007 LK ACL tear
2/14/2007 LK ACLR allograft
3/1/2008 RK ACL tear
4/8/2008 RK ACLR allograft

support