Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI/HTO follow up Questions for OS 4 week Post Op Visit?  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI/HTO follow up Questions for OS 4 week Post Op Visit?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »
Zoey-

Yes, I have a case manager at Carticel but I wouldn't trust a reps advice on PT.  And yes, I do have multiple lesions and I had a TTO as well.  Like I said, I am impatient when it comes to this stuff.  It's as if knee surgery has become a hobby I seemed to have picked up along the way.  Like I have said previosly, I am your typical type-a personality who can't stand sitting around. 

The only thing I am "cheating" on is progressing on the CPM machine.  I haven't put weight on it or anything else.  I know one thing, when I get to put weight on my leg I am in for a shock.  My body has wasted no time turning my leg into what one would expect to see on a POW held captive for years.

Well, let me go knock the dust off of myself.
Take care....... John
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

Offline zoeygrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
Hello again! I just had my best friend pick me up to go to a visitation at another friends mother's funeral home.   She said she would pick me up and take me from pt every day and take me to work!  My office is about 20 miles from work so this is a big deal.  I told her I would pay for the gas and buy her lunch and love her until we die!  We have been friends since the 5th grade.  She's a dear to do this for me.   I didn't know what to do.  My co worker will pick me up in the mornings when I don't have pt and then give me a ride home every day, so I think I'm covered now.   I just hated to ask anyone since it's so far away.  I won't drive until he releases me, I'm getting pretty frustrated not being able to go up to the store for something and my boyfriend is just about over running all my errands for me.  Especially since this is Derby week and there is so much going on! 

So, my issue is solved for the time being and I feel so fortunate to have such good friends.   

Also, I think I pulled a groin muscle during the night, it hurts like a bugger today and had a lot of pain when we went to the funeral home.   My knee feels great, it's my groin muscle that is killing me...ouch!  I'm going to lay down and use my cpm before they come to pick it up tomorrow.   

Thanks for all your support.   John, your sense of humor is very funny....knee hobby.  captive POW leg...funny.  I'm not a type A but my boyfriend is and I can't imagine what you are going through.  I consider myself a Type F personality - fun loving, easy going and nothing bothers me much.   But now, it's all starting to get to me. 

Take care everyone!

1989 first arthroscopic surgery to clean up knee
1992 2nd arthroscopic surgery for clean up of cartlidge flakes
1/24/08 harvesting of cells for carticel transplant
3/27/08 HTO and Carticel transplant

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »
Zoey,
Glad that you were able to get transportation to and from work.  You had me worried that you were going to be driving.  Sounds like you have some good friends who care about you!

Hang in there...it gets better!!!!  Soon you will be walking around and feel like your old self again. 

LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 11:55:23 PM »
Zoey,

I'm glad you were able to work out the rides and all; it is so hard to lean on our friends, when in truth, they want to help out.  I also had a groin pull and it bothered me for weeks!  I have no idea how it happened, but what a pain.  Hope you are feeling better soon!

Peg Leg   
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

dileigh

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 12:37:25 AM »
Glad you got your rides worked out, I don't have the driving problem since mine is on the left knee.   I do know that free ROM is harder than the CPM, I can get to what looks like 90, but not much past it right now.

I went back to work and have had a couple of episodes where I've lost my balance and put weight on the surgery leg.  It wasn't bad yesterday, but it really didn't like it today.  Sitting with the ice right now, and iced it in the car on the way home.

I like my brace a whole lot more than the immobilizer, and it's now set to 90 degrees so it's not quite as hard getting in and out of the car.  I do have to move the seat all the way back sometimes in order to get in the driver's seat.  More for getting by the door than anything else.

My OS usually takes out the screws after 6 months, but I'll probably wait until October, more vacation time and right before the health insurance changes again.  I can imagine what this did to our rates for next year.....

I like the type F personality, I need more of it ;D

Diana

Offline zoeygrl

• Regular Poster
Hi again.  Well the groin pull has turned out to be much more painful than I could even imagine.  I have been stuck in bed all afternoon icing it down and I am absolutely miserable right now.  I have only been up a couple of times to get to the bathroom and I am in a great deal of pain.  I can't believe how this has laid me up.  I have a pt visit at 7:30 tomorrow morning and I'm wondering if I should cancel or go in and have them help me with this pain.   I read on the internet there are three kinds of groin pull and considering the amount of pain I'm in I might be a stage 2 or 3.  I cannot get comfortable in any position and it is screaming with pain and I'm not even moving! The pain goes from the middle of my inside thigh up to the very top of my thigh.   

I may have hurt it yesterday in pt or in getting in the car on my way home from pt, because it started last night and hasn't let up at all today.   Anybody have any suggestions? I tried to wrap it with a worn out ace bandage.   No relief at all.   help???

OWIE!  what to do? How long does this take to get over? I've never had a groin pull before? 

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 03:45:21 AM »
Zoey-

Well I am glad I can be a source of humor.  You should have seen me at the Derby a few years ago and all of those Mint Juleps--- ahhhhh, proud moments.

Anyway, I am an equal opportunist when it comes to injuries.  As a lacrosse player, when I wasn't breaking my collar bone or wrecking my knee, I was pulling my groin. They don't heal quickly.  What you can do is use an ace bandage and as you come up through the goin, pull up tightly.  I found that pulling it up relieves the pain.  Your PT can probably describe that with cool medical terms, but I can't.  I really recommend against using any deep heating cream like Ben-Gay-- for the obvious reason.  If they aren't obvious, well take my advice.

I'm not sure what exactly you're doing at PT but you may really agitate it.  I'd also take some motrin (or similar item).  You'll feel better in a week or so but you really have to take it easy as it'll be easy to agitate it again until it's fully healed.  I played an entire lacrosse season with a pull. 

Now I did get to experience a hernia a few years ago during a move.  I thought I pulled my groin, it felt exactly like one.  After two months of it not going away, and saying to my wife, "that bulge looks weird, huh?", I decided to go to a doctor.  Again, not one to half a$$ any injury, I headed to the OR for hernia surgery.  The great thing about hernia surgery is after two days, feeling like you were beat with a baseball bat goes away and you're back to feeling and being  normal in a week.  Plus, there's no PT with hernia surgery!  Not that you really needed that llife story, but you may want to look for signs of a hernia.  They are very easy to get as the stomach wall has 3 inherent weak points.  I remember the doc telling me that a lot of people get them from simple things, like getting up out of a chair. 

Good luck and I guess we'll have to scratch you from the kickball tournament this weekend?  Quitter.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:54:01 AM by Army John »
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline zoeygrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
John, you crack me up!   ;D  Kickball tournaments are out for me as are dodgeball, red rover and moving statues I'm afraid.   I'm NOT a quitter, I'm just a broke down old filly.   tee hee   I went to my pt appt this morning in excrutiating pain and he only worked me out a little bit since the groin pull was killing me.  When I got home I broke down and took some ibuprophen and I feel so much better.   I had been only taking tylenol since my surgery.   I think the pain is starting to go away but I feel it's still there.  The pt said the groin pull will likely go away by this weekend and to switch from ice to heat on Saturday.  yowie that hurts.     It was way worse than any knee pain I've had since my surgery.  I even cried a bit. 

Well the Kentucky Derby activities are all going today! I'm missing a really fun time at the track today, my boyfriend called and said he's having fun.  Well at least one of us is!   My sister keeps telling me to drink a Mint Julep but I would rather eat broken glass than drink one of those nasty bourbons and sugar drinks.  I have some friends in town for the Derby and they are picking me up tomorrow to take me to lunch.  should be fun. 

I've seen some funny hernia bumps on other people and heard stories of their recovery.  One of my friends said it felt like he was in a knife fight. 

Anyway, I'm feeling much better now and hope I don't re-injure it this weekend.  I guess I won't be attending any fun events.   I'll just watch it all on tv! 

Thanks for your support and sense of humor!   

dileigh

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 10:58:34 PM »
I want to play kickball too :'(  Maybe we can organize a game in about a year when we've all healed up.    I've never really gotten into the Derby, usually just watch it on Sportscenter after it's all over.

Glad the groin pain is getting better, can't imagine that on top of everything else.   

Diana

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »
The KY Derby is not about horses, it's about the experience.  I pride myself on the fact I never saw a horse with my own two eyes when I went.  The infield was far more entertaining.  Plus I didn't have to wear any costumes like those sitting up in the stands. 

L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

dileigh

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »
So, sounds like the difference between trying to watch any sporting event on TV, and actually being there.   One of the guys from work is a horse guy and he's thinking about driving up this weekend.

Diana

Offline zoeygrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 10:09:39 PM »
I have gone to the infield at the Derby since 1979 and I usually go with my college friends every year.  Last year I went to the backside of the track and it wasn't as fun.  The infield is something everyone should experience at least once in their lives, for some people, once is enough.  tee hee. 

It is unbelievably fun even at 47!  I have friends from all over the country who come just for the KY Derby infield.   What you see on TV is only one of the 12 races they have all day long.  If you see a horse you're lucky, it's the people watching that is the best.  We would just lay on our blanket, get sunburned and partake in liquid refreshments and food.   There is always this one guy who would pile up styrofoam coolers, tie a towel around his neck and run and dive into the cooler pile.  very funny. 

Anyway, I'll be sidelined this year, but will go next year for sure just to prove I still have the party spirit. 

If your friend decides to go, I have one tip, the filly is a gray horse and her name is Eight Belles. I think that's my horse this year.   

Happy Derby! 

Zoeygrl

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 03:32:04 AM »
People watching!!  I am a great people watcher.  I go to dirt track racing and I tell people, "the people watching,alone, is worth the price of admission".  When I was in the Indianpolis Recruiting Battalion we were always at big events-- concerts, super motor cross, NHRA, NASCAR, etc.  We typically had VIP or all access passes.  Talk about some people watching! 

I can't imagine sitting anywhere but the infield at the Derby.  I had an absolute blast.  My motto is, "you have to grow old but you don't have to grow up!" 

Wait, this is a knee forum right??   ;D

Atrophy-check
Big scar-check
lacking ROM-check
tons of rehab ahead of me-check

Good to go!   ;D
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08

Offline zoeygrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 02:49:04 PM »
I think this is a knee forum!  Glad to hear you're doing okay John.  I am still nursing my groin pull.   If I wrap it tightly it and pull up on the bandage occasionally it really helps.  I went to lunch yesterday with my girlfriends and then they took me to the mall for a bit.  I was using my Dad's wheelchair and man I felt it when I got home....swelling and tons of pain in my abductors! owie.  after wrapping it up and taking ibuprophen the pain went away about 2 hours later.     :(

My boyfriend just left to go to the track, he's going to have a great time partying without me! Luckily they have full coverage the entire day here so I can see what's going on.   I may even drink a beer or two while doing my pt exercises.   Lost a bit of ROM since I went to the pt on Thursday I'm afraid. 

My day will consist of:

goofing on the computer - check
watching endless Derby coverage - check
heel slides - check
patella movement - check
feeding and watering my dogs - check
looking at my scar - check
stim machine on quads - check
2 movies to watch - check
shower? maybe
beer? maybe
Feeling sorry for myself while all my friends are having a blast - check

Have a great day everyone! be sure to watch the Derby! it should be on about 6:00pm on one of the major networks.   

dileigh

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
I didn't see coverage on the Derby yesterday, but saw the highlights as usual. There's a golf tournament here this weekend and it took all of the coverage.   That sucks about Eight Belles.

I am confined to my chair today, developed a very bad pain in my chest when crutching, I think I pulled something yesterday.  Doesn't hurt unless I'm using the crutches. I hate still being dependent on others.

So did you do the shower and beer? and what movies did you watch?

Diana