Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fisher's MACI harvest on 2/5/2008 (at Bushey, UK)  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Fisher's MACI harvest on 2/5/2008 (at Bushey, UK)
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:53:04 PM »
Bit of background for my first post:

Injury - crack on trochlea sustained during football training in August 2006.

Previous treatment - arthroscopy in Feb 2007, microfracture used.  No success - made condition worse.

Current treatment - seen Tim Briggs and Fred Street at the Park Street Clinic.  MACI harvest on 2 May 2008 (a couple of days time), then second stage planned for 13 June. 

Thoughts:
A bit apprehensive because previous surgery made the condition worse.  Am kinda hoping that isn't the case this time around.  Unsure what to arrange in terms of post-op physio and exercises because I live outside of London so won't be able to go in and see Fred very easily.  My physio last time was useless and didn't really understand what procedure I'd had done. 

Would be good to hear from anyone who's had similar treatment.

Fisher

Offline charlesc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Fisher's MACI harvest on 2/5/2008 (at Bushey, UK)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:46:05 PM »
I had the same procedure with Tim and Fred in November; you're in very good hands.

In terms of injury: i had ACL reconstruction feb 07 and MACI step I in October 07 / Step II Nov 07. Am now nearly 6 months post-op and can pretty much do everything...

Post-op pain was fine (The ACL was worse than MACI in terms of pain), the hospital at Bushey is great, the food is even good.

You'll see Fred at 10 days post-op for staple removal (easy job) and then start physio at 2 weeks. I stayed out of London for rehab and saw a second physio whilst away from Fred. Physio work is minimal, it's really just to keep an eye on you. I wouldn't worry about not seeing Fred, though I admit it is a comfort seeing him regularly now. Ask him to recommend a good physio to you (he has loads of mates dotted around the country) and he will then coordinate for you. The service you will get from Fred and Tim really is 1st class.

How much do you know about the procedure? I recommend googling "Chester ACI Rehab clinic" for an excellent guide.

Any questions, just shout...

C

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »
Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:10:51 PM »
Cheers guys - it's good to know there are other people out there who have been through the same sort of thing.

Charles - thanks for the tip about the Chester ACI Rehab Clinic page, I found some really useful stuff on there.

Laters

J

Offline Fisher201

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:08:32 PM »
Harvest went really well.  Have been doing lots of ice and rehab exercises and am walking around fine. 

Scope confirmed the suspected diagnosis - that the crack in the trochlea had not healed - so it's full steam ahead for the MACI in June. 

dileigh

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »
That's good so far, this is the easy part.

Now you can get ready for the rest of it.  Plenty of stuff to keep you occupied, a shower seat and anything else you need to be NWB for awhile.

Diana

support