Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondral defect of the patello-femoral cartilage  (Read 2093 times)

Offline chris1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteochondral defect of the patello-femoral cartilage
« on: April 24, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
Hi

I'm a new user, and not sure if this is even the correct category

After running my first 21k race a few weeks ago, I had pain in my left knee. The physio diagnosed me with ITB syndrome, but the pain did not subside. I went to an OS who sent me for an MRI and today he told me that I have a Osteochondral defect of the patello-femoral cartilage. He didn't seem very optimistic...

Is there anyone out there that has had this? Treatments?

Is this the end of sport for me?

Thanks

Chris (btw I'm 27 yo)

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Osteochondral defect of the patello-femoral cartilage
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:09:21 AM »
Chris

It would depend on how big and what 'grade' the defect is on how much of an impact it will have on your sport and life.  THere are treatments out there that the OS will no doubtably discuss with you.  However there is a very strong chance that you might have to 'slow' things down.  There are treatments such as 'microfracture', 'OATS' and 'MOSAICPLASTY', all of which information can be gathered on this site. 

I have this problem and mine is quite severe.  I have run 2 marathons and have been unable to run at all since the last one in April 2006.  I have had microfractures which did very little if anything for me and am scheduled for OATS later in the year.

The OS should discuss with you the possibilities and see where you go from there.  MOst OS are not keen for people to continue running after injuries but it doesn't mean that you won't.  Stay optimistic and don't scare yourself but stay sensible and look after yourself.  Mine has built up and got progressively worse over quite a long period of time and was proably already symptomatic before the last marathon.

Where are you?

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline chris1980

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Osteochondral defect of the patello-femoral cartilage
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »
Lisa

Thanks for your reply (apologies for the long time to respond, I've been on a long holiday). I'll see what the OS recommends later this week...

Chris

P.S. I am from South Africa

support