Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lisa'a pre op diary - moved  (Read 9940 times)

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lisa'a pre op diary - moved
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »
Well finally i have e-mail and internet at home so searched through and found my diary.  I am now 3 1/2 months post op and am doing as well as the OS and tha Physio want me to be but i am still off sick from work and i am bored!!

I haven't got much time now as i am popping out to work actually for staff training - i like to pop in so they know i am doing all i can to get fit enough to return - so i will come back online later when i have plenty of time.

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:30 PM »
Good to see you back on-line Lisa - I didn't recognise the User name at first. Why did you change?

I tried to ring a couple of times last week but after leaving a couple of messages I left it as you were obviously busy. I'm back at work now Monday through to Wednesday and then home again on Wednesday evenings.

I'll PM you my email so we can chat that way.

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »
Hi Lisa. welcome back online!!I hope you will share with us all all you have been through in the past 3 months, post op and recovery, PT and everything, also about your tripto zambia. I know there will be a lot of people anxious to hear from you, so once again, WELCOME BACK!!
Love beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
The op was the 30th june - i was first on the list.  THe OS exoected me to be done in around 1 1/4 hours and it took 2 1/2!  He did 12 plugs - 10 femoral and 2 tibial, which was about 6 more than he was expecting to do.  It hurt at the time though i have already kinda forgotton how much.  I was in hospital for one night and nearly had a row with one of the night nurses who tried to tell me that i couldn't possibly need any pain medication as i had had a paracetamol some 2 hours previously.  My blood pressure had dropped throught the floor and consequently i did not feel well.

I planned on staying with a friend for a few days but couldn't face getting in a car so ended up going home, and apart from the first night was there alone.  I had friends bringing me food and leaving easy meals, and someone staying for the first 2 weekends but not during the week.  How did i cope..............well i didn't move too much cos it hurt to do that.

The bandage came off after a week, and the dressing after 2.  First visit to OS was at 2 weeks post op, no weight bearing at all for 4 weeks.

More tomorrow.

Lisa
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2008, 07:50:05 AM »
So things seemed to be going as well as expected.  At my four week appointment i was told i could start weight bearing.  That was 2 weeks earlier than expected.  Great i thought.  The OS wanted me to use 2 cruthes for about a week and then 1 but to use that 1 heavily.  I did just that and my physio promptly told me off.............too much weight to soon and back to 2 crutches.  So until 9 weeks post op i used the 2 and then 1 for another week before abandoning and going it alone. 

Progress at 14 weeks remains slow............i am doing 15 minutes on the bike which amounts to about 5km..........i swim the equivilkent of 1km in the pool.......all front crawl.   I am still off work.

Emotionally i feel like i have been and still am on a rollercoaster.  I have had good days and bad days.  I am incredibly frustrated.  I really want to get going.  It's not like i didn't know it was a slow and passive 6 month rehab because i did..............but knowing it and living it are 2 very different things.

THe OS told me at my appointment this week that at the moment my knee is a busy knee.  THe plugs are now set in place and won't be disrupted.  They will now start doing their work!  It will apparently feel wierd!  I haven't had any cartiliage there for so long that that in itself will be strange and that i shouldn't be too alarmed at the different things i will feel.

I have physio on monday and we will be talking more about the next steps so i will probably update and talk more about the surgery problems etc then.

Till then

LIsa
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
Hi Lisa,

I am pleased to hear the op went well and you are progressing well. You are doing well to ride an exercise bike.

Like you I have been pretty frustrated with my recovery but my OS and sports physician tell me that I'm doing well. It has been made more difficult the fact that I've had a lot of problems with my other knee which has drastically slowed my recovery.

I am not back in the gym yet, but hope to be soon. This week I am 5 months post-op. It has made a massive difference to me, which I am thrilled about. Will probably need to get the other knee done in the coming months.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2008, 06:45:22 PM »
Hve put some pictures of my knee on the following link from before the op, to immediately after with the last one being 5 weeks post op.

Currently at 14 weeks post op it more swollen than at 5 weeks but we are working on that in Physio.

Enjoy.

www.dropshots.com/lmr

LIsa

PS now i have figured it out i will put some from Zambia on when i have a bit more time.........am about to go and babysit for friends from church.
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2008, 07:41:11 PM »
HI Lisa!! What a great tidy clean incision you have - wish it were me!!! I have been cut open soooo many times that ive had 2" scar tissue removed! Be happy for what youve got, it's TOP WORK!!!!!!
Love Beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2008, 11:56:01 AM »
Yep Beda i think his mum taught him to sew well...........and he doesn't leave sewing up to anyone but himself.

That part of the op i am well happy with.....but as you know i am frustrated with the lack of activity.  I know many of us are in exactly the same boat but it sure has taken some getting used to.  I like to be active and swimming just aint giving me that buzz.  I won't misbehave though no matter how much i am tempted to because this has to work i do not want to go through it again.  Will post after physio tomorrow.

Lisa
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2008, 11:54:20 AM »
Hi Lisa,

I like your scars. He's done a great job.

Like you I am pretty frustrated with my progress, but just so glad that my kneecap doesn't come out anymore. I'm having a lot of problems with the other knee which I hope my OS will decide to do something about.

I really wish I could swim at the moment but my shoulder isn't good enough yet and my OS doesn't want me kicking yet. Still have to use a pool buoy. Hopefully I can start when I see him next.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2008, 01:26:38 PM »
hi Kirsty

I do swim but don't use my legs anyway.  I consider myself somewhat lucky in the fact that because that's my job and i teach swimming to that it is my natural exercise and i do not struggle to do it.  I think i would have gone mad if i couldnt have swum, but know that the reason why i have been allowed to is because of my knowledge and skills in the pool.  I started swiming at 3 weeks whilst still NWB.

Physio today was good.  Yes my knee is now feeling stronger day by day but the swelling is not good at the moment and all involved dont seem to understand why.  Paul now wants me sitting with it up high as much as possible and to massage it at as much as possible at least every 2 hours. 

Mind you today is not a good day.  I have had a booboo in the car.  Totally my fault as i hit a dirty great pick up truck that was parked behind my flat in a bit of the car park where it shouldnt have been.............but none the less i should have seen it.  I think i was in auto pilot.  However i now have an insurance claim going through, excess that i am going to have to pay and a wait for the insurance company to sort me out with a courtesy car.  I hope to have a car sorted by the end of the day.  I will need a new tailgate and a new rear windscreen which i managed to smash quite dramatically.  There was not a scratch on the pick up and no-one has been hurt so it's just important to remember that at the end of the day it's a piece of metal.

I got a lift to physio and because of the swelling he would not allow me to walk home.............so in his lunch break he took me home where i am now sitting with my leg up watching tv.

Lisa
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2008, 09:51:43 AM »
Okay not got much time as about to go the gym for my meagre 15 minutes on the bike but have put some pictures from Zambia on my drop shots link if you want to have a look at the wall we built and also some pics of mums dogs .......for Beda and all dog lovers and a couple from my last ski hol.........the last one for a while.

Enjoy and any comments will be appreciated.

www.dropshots.com/lmr

Lisa
Mosaicpasty june 2008

support