Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lisa'a pre op diary - moved  (Read 9933 times)

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lisa'a pre op diary - moved
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »
Hi Farrah

How are you doing?

Yeah i think that Beda's idea is awesome and i am definately going to do that when i get back. Thanks Beda - it will give me something to do as well.

I am so glad that you enjoyed Lee's pictures - he is such a funny lad too.  He is only 20 too - definately wasted as a lifeguard but it such a hard area for him to break into.  I have loads of his pics in my flat - esp some of the elephants and they are my favourite animals.  So majestic.  There is a tame one at the park we go to on our one proper day off in Zambia - she is called Mpava which means powerful.  I got to feed her last year as she was with her keeper - was great!  Oops distracted there for a mo!

I have a brace perhaps i should take it in case things get too much.  It's a donjoy off loader but it pinches a bit around the straps so i usually avoid wearing it.

I have so much to do and i don't have any more days off work to get them done - going to my friends straight from work tonight to pick up another suitcase then i can finally finish packing.  Thank goodness BA have waived the baggae allowance for me cos i am way over!!

What do you do for work Farrah?

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »
Lisa - I had a donjoy off loader for the longest of times, just couldnt get used to that darn thing. It kept on falling down my leg! But I would definitly take it along if I were you, because you may find you'll need it after a day of bricklaying!!
XX B
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 03:25:18 PM »
I want to feed an elephant!!  :) I can't believe Lee is only 20!!  He has a long successful life ahead of him if he sticks with photography!!  I wish I could do as great as he does!!!  It is just so amazing.  Do you know what brand of camera he uses??  It is digital, right? 

I wish I had an unloader...not sure if that would help my situation.  I know my pain is from the cartilage damage.  I wouldn't mind wearing a brace like that if it took the pain away!  If I ever am given up on by any OSs or anything, I may try that myself, but the braces are very expensive.  Lisa, I would definitely take the brace just in case you need it if your pain gets to be too much.  I would also wear it to the airport and get through security a bit faster!  :)  I have heard that if you wear a brace like that, you get treated extra special at the airport...well I guess it depends on if it is titanium or neoprine? 

I am a full time architect and part time gymnastics coach.  Coaching has ended for the summer for me b/c my architecture schedule does't work with the early practice schedules.  I coach intermediate level competitive teams.  It is so fun...although last season I was on my crutches the entire time and didn't get to demonstrate anything or spot!  I hope I am better by the end of the summer so I can pick it back up in August again. 

I am in the middle of Euflexxa injections to help with the OA in my knee.  I am suppose to know in a few weeks if it helps...no relief yet!  I have the 10k road race on July 4th which is a new summer tradition of mine.  I ran most of it last year and walked the rest.  If these injections help me and my OS, PA, and PT okay it, then I'd like to at least walk it this year.  It is the largest 10k in the world!  The goal for many participants is to make it through to the end for the awesome t-shirts!  The t-shirt design is a big part of the race every year.  20,000 people walk/run this race!!  Some people come from all over the world to run in it.  It is huge!  Anyway, my goal since surgery is to be able to participate in it!  I thought it would be a no-brainer by now that I'd be able to walk and maybe run in it, but it isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped.  I had a Fulkerson TTT though....a little different than your surgery.  I am 20 weeks PO and still on crutches.  Anyway, have a good one!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
Bless you thats a long time to be on crutches and an awful long time to be in pain.  I hope they work for you - it's such a horrid pain to have.

I guess as i wanted support and both of you think it's a good idea to take it then i really should.  It will fit in my hand luggage beacuse i have taken it when i last went skiing.  It's metal - i guess titanium because it is very light.  It was ordered in specially after the last surgery and was paid for by the insurance company and was over £550. 

Lee is working with me next weds so i will ask him what brand of camera he uses then - it is digital though and he has gotten a new one in the last year or so.  Thats where most of his money goes that and beer!! ;D

I used to love my running and i will pray that you get to do the race - it's still a good 6 weeks away so it is still possible.  Positive thinking!!  Where is this race - maybe one day when all this knee stuff has been sorted i will come and play too - though i am sure it will be walking not running - can't see myself being given permission to run somehow.  Shame as i really wanted to do one more marathon - i wanted to do New York after doing London twice.  Of well - at least i got to do twice what many people never do once!!

The injections don't sound like fun though ugh!  Your job does though how awesome.  I used to teach swimming all the time - now i pick and choose.  Taught my 4 year old Godson this week - his face was so cute when he got his first badge!!

Lisa

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »
Hi Lisa,

The 10k is in Atlanta, GA USA.  It goes through downtown, where the 1996 Olympics were held.  6 weeks sounds like far away to you, but to me, several of my activities have flown by after 6 weeks of hoping and thinking positively that I would get to participate.  THe March for babies 3 mile walk flew by and my company softball season and 2 complete tennis seasons!  I thought for sure by April that I'd be all better.  i can't believe it's already June!!   Thanks for the positive thoughts though!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 03:30:57 PM »
Hi Farrah

Yes i know 6 weeks does seem like a long time to me and i am probably the queen of positive thinking, that's what got me through a marathon with a torn cartilage and a frayed rope like ACL. I just got the feeling that you would really like to do it and that some positive thoguhts wouldn't hurt.

Your pain levels seem to be getting worse - that just can't be right.  the surgery you went through was suposed to help not hinder - what does the current OS think?

It does sound like getting one of your next appointments bought forward would be a very good idea - you need to get this sorted, it's unreasonable to be having to go through this.

You need my physio yours sounds like a bully.  Paul is lovely and though he would be the first to admit that occasionally he has to hurt you to make it better he would never use bully tactics to do so.  And he only sees one person at a time.  Boo to your physio!! >:(

The last time i was in Atlanta - it snowed and the airport almost came to a standstill!!

Lisa

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »
HI Lisa, my OS and PA and PT say that my pain is from weak muscles.  I think some of it could be, but I don't think all of it.  They did this set of tests to see if my muscles in my surgery leg are very weak and of course they are swearing by this test.  I don't think it was accurate for many reasons...kind of hard to explain. 

This has just been such a difficult road...much harder than I thought it was suppose to be.  I am going to call my PA/OS on Monday to get some stronger meds and also talk about PT.  My PT is in the OS clinic, so they usually communicate pretty well.  I hadn't seen my PT in 6 weeks and when I got there she knew all that was going on with me.  My PA originally said that starting PT before I got relief from Euflexxa would be okay b/c it will just be small things...well maybe he didn't communicate that part!!  Oh well...I will call him tomorrow.  I need to stop talking about it all b/c it is making me more and more angry with my PT.  I wrote on Beda's diary about some experiences I had on Friday with PT.  Made me so mad.  Well gotta go.  I hope you are doing okay. 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
Well what can i say about this week.  I have lost another pound and a half in weight which brings the total to 10 pounds in total before going to Zambia so i am very pleased with that!

4 weeks till surgery and starting to feel a bit nervous about it.  Nothing i can't handle at the moment but thank goodness i have something else to think about that's for sure.

The big news is that i can now get on with he charity registration as a very kind benefactor today wrote me a cheque for the required amount to be able to register because she believes in the vision and the purpose of what i am planning to do.  It was a chance metting and someone i did not know by name until today.  She said to me that she hoped she had made my day - she might have made my year!!  Good day today in that respect.....gotta get knee sorted and life will be jsut dandy!!

lol

Lisa x

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »
Congrats Lisa!  It does indeed sound like you had a great day!

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
Congratulations Lisa! I know how much this means to you, you must be  a very happy person right now. ya, all you need is the knee to get well again, then your on a roll!! Well done. Now you can relax a bit more, cant you??
Love beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
constant pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »
Congrats Lisa!!  I do the March of Dimes charity work and I always loved getting large donations to help out the cause...nothing compared to what you are doing though!!!  I wish I had the courage to do what you are doing!  I hope packing is going well!!  Who are you going on this trip with?

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2008, 06:25:24 PM »
Hi peops

Thanks for your congrats - yes it means a lot.  I have just downloaded all the stuff to be able to register - only just had enough paper eeeeeeekkkkkkkk.  Now i have to decide whether to be a charitable trust or a charitable limited company.  As the aim will be that eventually i will need to be getting a wage it needs to be whatever one that works with that.  Guess some of my time in Africa will be spent reading, filling in the forms and sorting out all the objectives etc.  Thank goodness i had already opened the account!!

Packing - well i have finished - i think.  4 Bags and hand luggage too.  We are going with Aid International and working for African Enterprise Trust.  This trip there is 6 of us and 4/5 of the african workers who are employed full time on the grand wage of £2-4 a DAY.  Fortunately there is another trip going one month after us as we will not get all the work finished in 2 weeks.

Beda - thanks for ALL your kind thoughts and help.  Relax yes - my time off can now be spent sorting out the web page, setting up some fund raising events and headed paper etc so in a way yes.  It gives me my purpose in life.  This is what i am here for!!

Farrah - How are you doing today?  Hope the pain levels aren't too bad.  When is your next PT?

Karen - days don't get much better than this one - if only i could find that elusive man!!

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2008, 07:01:16 PM »
Ahhh!!! He'll come along when your least expecting it. I'm sure theres someone who burns the same way you do for your work, there must be someone who you have common interests with - in your branch its impossible not to!!
XX Beda ;D :D ??? ::) :-* ;D
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2008, 07:20:37 PM »
Hello Lisa, I have still more pain than usual thanks to PT on Friday :(  I don't have another apt until Friday.  I don't want to go!  My OS/PA are out today, so they will probably not return my call until tomorrow evening.  My message was, "pain meds don't help anymore."  Meanwhile, I rescheduled the 3rd opinion for tomorrow morning!!  I was so just so pissed about Friday and I need more answers!  Better ones!

I am glad you are having such a great day!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 09:56:22 AM »
Hi lisa. Just thought I'd drop in to see how youre getting on. It wont be long now before your trip, and after that your surgery. Well, by the time youve had 3 weeks of bricklaying in Zambia, you'll be well needing your knee surgery I'm sure. Just hope you dont have to stop the physical building of the wall b/c of knee probs. If you do, I'm sure theres pleanty of other jobs that dont require so much knee-power. I bet your getting excited about going now, seeing all your friends. Tell the guy from me who takes the fotos, hes wasted on doing anything else!! He ought to do fotografing full-time. I'm sure you can get some wonderful pics from him for you up and coming web-site. that will be a real treat when you get that going to let the world know what you are doing in Zambia. I bet you could do with the publicity as well. :o ;D :D
Hope you have a good day
Love Beda xx :-* :-*
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

support