Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lisa'a pre op diary - moved  (Read 9937 times)

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lisa'a pre op diary - moved
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »
Kjwilkin

I would be very interested in seeing the list if you don't mind sending it to me!!

I am glad you don't have to wait too long now for your surgery - it sucks to wait even if the waiting is your own doing as mine is.  I am sure that once i see the kids again and spend some time with them that the wait will all be worth it though.  That's pretty much what is keeping me going at the moment.  I have the last fund raiser next weekend then i really have to get things ready - malaria pills etc.  Fortunately i am jabbed up and ready to go apart from making sure i have adequate painkillers, malaria pills, diaretics and stoppers just in case etc.  It's their winter but their winter is as hot as our summer, and there are very few mosquitos around, but i still protect myself becasue it could only take one mosquito to cause an illness.

Looking forward to the list and my first PM.

Thanks

Lisa x
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »
Well today was phone the insurance day so i thought i would post how it went.  back in March when we first discussed when this was going to be done i was quoted that the company would pay £733 which would have left me with £467 to pay, a thought and prospect that i found horrifying because i don't have that sort of money.  But knowing that i need this doing to improve the quality of my life etc then i figured i would have to find it from somewhere.

Then i spoke with the OS PA and she said that they should be paying more than that as they pay more than that for an arthroscopy so when i phoned 45 days before for the authorisation number to double check.  I was also worried because the op is right bang on the renewal date for my policy so i will also never shortly have to pay the £100 excess!

So today is 45 days before.  The guy i spoke to Tony, was the most helpful guy i have ever spoken to and sorted it out for me.  There was a query with the reasoning behind one of the procedures, so he phone the PA to discuss and then phoned me back.  They will pay £1046.25, which still leaves me with a shortfall of £153 but that is way better than the £467 originally quoted and i should be able to 'find' that amount without too much of a problem.

So i guess it is all real now, it really is going to happen and i have committed myself to being cut open.  Roll on the 30th June.  I bet i won't feel quite so calm about it when i return from Zambia and thank goodness i do have that to focus on first.  I found out what work we will be doing...........we will be building a huge breeze block wall.  What fun i have never been a bricklayer before!!  I also phoned BA this week to get my baggage allowance increased because i have so much stuff to give the kids and have managed to get them to agree to triple my allowance which is brill. 

It is weigh in day later. i have continued to be motivated with the diet so fingers crossed that will have gone down again.

Thanks for reading this!!

Oh and finally...........especailly for Farrah- one comment too far from the 'friend' this week has finally lead to me following your advice and i have backed off all one on one situations with her.  Thanks for your support everyone.........will keep posting how the weight etc goes.

Lisa xx

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »
Hi Lisa,

No worries. I will PM you soon.

You need to make sure you only have the best. I've had surgery on both shoulders, left ankle and both knees. I have only ever gone to the best. That way you have the best chance of a good outcome.

Have a good weekend !!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 08:33:38 PM »
The weigh in this week was good.  I lost a further 2lbs so that brings it to 8 1/2 in 3 weeks - long may it continue.  My knee has been winging and i have been trying to ignore it.  I have too much to do to start letting that dictate to me what i can and cant do.  Its two weeks (and counting) till i see my beautiful kids and see my Zambian friends and i cant wait.  I have packed 2 out of three bags, still nothing packed for myself.  I am starting to get bags of sweets together for the kids who live on the streets and i have enough clothes to open a shop.

I have booked a physio session for the day i fly and would love to take him with me for the day i fly back so i am preparing my knee too.  I find that recently i have done less and less at the gym.  I am down to cycling and the x-trainer now with some mainly upper body weights.  I shouldn't moan about that too much as many of you can't even do that but i am used to being able to do so much more.  But i want to stay upbeat and focus on the good things that are to come - including sorting this minor knee thing out and eventually getting a better quality of life out of it.

So here ends this weeks update - ..................... 8) ;D

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »
Okay................well i am fed up............fed up of my knee hurting and fed up of replying to my own thread so this it no more.

I am scared rigid at the fact that i am letting someone cut my knee right open and that i will have to spend so long on crutches whilst living alone.  I have been having all sorts of 'do i really need this or is the surgeon seeing £signs cos it's private?', 'is my knee really that bad', 'could i live with it really' and more importantly 'how will i cope being a bricklayer for 2 weeks'.  Okay hopefully the heat in Zambia will mean that the knee is happier in that sense but bearing in mind that the equipment we will be using has to be carried out to the site and put away every day because the site is not yet safe (that's why the wall is being built) i will be doing lots to make it unhappy.

Fellow knee geeks i see you supporting each other through some terrible hardships and that is great so keep it going.............but for me.......the thread is read but that is it.

Thanks Kirsty and Farrah and Angel i appreciated your input.

Kirsty i hope you recover well from your recent surgery and that it gives you a much better quality of life.

I will keep looking at the board because i find it informative and helpful to do so, but i am giving up on my diary so i hope you all have a great day.

Lisa

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 04:59:06 PM »
Hi Lisa. i admire your courage and tenacity!! Courage to make a difficult decision like having this oh so needed knee surgery, and tenacity for sticking with your work. Dont give up this diary, please,, we need you as much as you need us!!
Have faith!
Love Beda xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »
Lisa!  People maybe are reading and using your information that you provide and just don't know what to say??  How is your weight loss coming?  How long are you going to Zambia for??  Sorry I haven't replied much.  I have been trying to get myself off KG as much as possible, so I have only been checking those diaries that I have kept up with since my surgery in January.  I will continue to check yours out though!!!  I know how much support means to me, so I will be here to support you.  So you are only a few weeks away from your surgery!!  Let me know if you have any questions.  Please don't stop your diary...you are on my favorites list now!!!  Good luck with your vacation preparations!!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 08:08:31 PM »
Lisa, when are you going on your trip? I think its wonderful that you can find it in your heart to give so much to those who have so little, AND suffer whilst your doing it, thats true dedication! You are an example to us all, were all here stumbling along with our different knee problems, and heres you fighting the fight with all youve got...........dont give up posting please, we need to know whats going on in Zambia! ;) :)
 :-* Love Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
constant pain

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 08:07:42 AM »
Beda - thanks for your kind words - i don't feel courageous at the moment i feel stupid for delaying it, but that won't last when i see the kids.  I have no kids if my own but i have a lot of love for them and they are what keeps me going!  I fly next Friday the 6th and arrive home on the 21st.  I still have one bag to pack.

Farrah - I do know what you mean about stating on KG i have found i love this site and spend too much time on it - but i love to see how people are getting on and support them if i can. 

Thank you both so much for your offer of support i so need it, with one month to go the nerves are already starting to kick in - it's real and thats scary!!

Beda - YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO ANYONE WHO READS YOUR DIARY AND DONT EVER FORGET IT!!

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Hi Lisa- This is second time round I type this, I have just 'lost' my mouse so I couldnt scroll up and down. That darn thing has been giving me trouble for days now, and has finally bit the dust, so its out of the door with that one and I am using a big mouse from my big computer in the bedroom now. (this is my laptop) I wrote to you, telling you that I know what you mean about getting nervous for the upcoming surgery!! I too have surgery upcoming, but I just dont know EXACTLY when yet, so i dont get too wound up by it, but you bet I will when it comes to the day or days before! I know your having open knee surgery, and its pretty scarry. I do hope that the heavy labour in Zambia doesnt do your knee in, I know your going to feel it, sorry to say, But even if you find you cant manage the physical work, theres the kids and you do and mean so much for them, so just if being with the kids is all you can manage - well, its worth it!
One thing I am curious to know is, why you had to go private for this op? Surely the NHS would have done it, but I do know that theres horrific waiting lists for the NHS. I used to live in England for over 30 years ago, I live in Denmark now, and my dealings with the NHS was everything but good. Just the service the GP gave was critiziseable at its best. Mind you, I havnt been doing too great with the Danish health system these days, I dont know how much you've been following my posts, but it has taken no end of an ammount of red tape to get me where I am now, It took from january to may just to get someone who knew what he was talking about to look at me. i was bounced from one OS to the other at 3 different hospitals. You see, no one wanted to take the responsibility of me because I have been the subject of many a failed TKR's and a hot potatoe amongst surgeons. When I finally did end up in the right place, the OS said ' why werent you referred here for a long time ago?' It just makes you so frustrated, if you knew all the calls to different hospitals I have made and all the OS's secretaries I have spoken with over the past 6 months, well, its mind boggling!! But the main thing now is that I AM being seen by a very confident and nice OS who has taken me into his personal care, and he seems to be doing what he can for me as fast as he can. We have a terrible thing going on over here in DK at the moment, the nurses and other health care workers are on strike, so nothing much has been happening on the out patient front. And now I am to have a CT scan of my left leg so they can take measurements for a rod they want to put into it from the hip down to the ankle, to render my leg stiff. If the rod they need to use is 'in stock' at the hosptal, then i will have surgery fairly soon, if not then I may have to wait for 6-8 weeks delivery time if it has to be ordered from either Germany or the US. So you see, my op doesnt yet feel real, so i dont have your nerves - yet - but they WILL come, I'm sure. But back to you. Open knee surgery IS a big deal, and youve every right to be scared, so if we on this board can offer you just a gram of support, then well be it. One thing you should make sure before you have your surgery is, does the OS go in for post op pain management. Your going to be hobbling around on crutches for a long time afterwards, and I'm not going to paint it a pretty colour, it WILL hurt. But make sure the OS doesnt discharge you from the hospital without adequate pain medication. Its often easy for the hospital to say go see your own GP when you get home, but sometime I know in England you cant get an appt. until a week after youve spoken with them, and thats no good! So make sure you get suffiecnt pain meds FROM the hospital on discharge.

Thank you so much for your kind words in your last post. I really dont feel like anything special, i've just got a problem that not a lot of people face these days with the arrival of TKR's and there obvious success WHEN they work, and happily the majority of them DO work well, so my problem is a bit off the beaten track - but there are a few people that post here that have similar problems. I just feel i have a problem and I need to get over with it now, and I am in the process of being 'fixed' so all I can do is sit tight and wait!!
Hope your trip to Zambia goes just great, and that you dont have too much knee pain, Is there a computer there you could have access to to keep us posted of whats going on in Zambia? - It'll do us all good to hear of thers less fortunated than ourselves-
Good luck on our trip.
Love Beda xx :-* :-*
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »
Hi Beda

I managed to go 11 years without treatment on my knee so i didn't have to declare it when i took out private medical cover.  When i ran the second marathon in 2006 i did something to the knee durin one of my last training runs and just knew that when i got attention for it they would tell me no more running because of the then deficient ACL.  However my GP refused to give me a referral to start with telling me that if i caould run a marathon then i could put up with my knee and it would probably get better once it got over the trauma of the marathon (the word IDIOT came to mind), it then took 13 weeks to get a referral and when i finally saw the OS he did a scope the following day, and we scheduled the ACL for after that.

I had some problems with extension after the ACL and microfractures which lead to me ditching the sports therapist and seeing a 'proper' physio, the guy i still see now.  The knee has been getting progressively worse OA wise and he sent me to this other OS who is at the moment the only guy in my town who actually does this surgery and he only does it privately so there is no choice there.  I guess i could have used NHS choice and gone out of town but just thought that i would have been waiting ages for that and BUPa will pay the majority so have gone for that.  There are sugeons in the town who do the ACI option but the physio said that he believes that the surgery i have been offered will be better for me.

I am lucky that Paul (physio) knows me very well by now and will be keeping his eye on me and looking after me, knows my knee and knows the surgeon too.  In fact it was his opinion that i sought before making the decision - not the surgeons.  He is also familar with this type of surgery and how delicate it is.

Computer wise in Zambia - not a chance - the electricity and internet access is a bit hit and miss - however i will PM you my mobile number and can text you some updates.

Bless you i can't believe that you had to type that long reply twice if i had to do this one again i might have to cry!! (only joking it will take more than that)

Beda you are special because despite evrything you have and are going through you haven't given up and you are still there to support everyone else - and you didn't give up until you finally found someone to help you - that takes spirit.  Actually we are all special in our own way.

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 10:49:51 AM »
Hi Lis again!! Just felt I needed to tell you I've been doing my homework and reading up about your OATS procedure, as when I had cartilage problems, they didnt do this procedure and were only in the early stages of cartilage transplants. I must say, your going to be a LONG time on crutches, and they who have had it done says it very painfull, so all the more reason to be  up on the pain medication bit!! When I needed cartilage transplants, the OS who did it scoped my knee first to see the extent of the damage and what he could do about it. After the scope he came to me and said that either I needed the cartilage transplant, (equivilent to what these days is the OATS procedure) OR he could do a PKR. As he had had so little success with cartilage transplants, he opted for the PKR. I was 29 at the time. That OS did what was best for HIM not for ME. The PKR failed after 2½ years and I had to have a TKR which repeated itself 5 times, each time going loose, and all of them failing giving miserable pain and inability to walk unaided by crutches, if walk at all. So, I think it is GOOD your having this procedure done, as it is a possibility of preserving a functioning joint in your body, the MAIN functioning joint, and that should be top on the list of prioritaries for everyone who ever has knee surgery. To maintain functionality of your knee is the only concern you should have, so I would say a big YES to you making the right descision, I know you have been doubtfull before, but dont doubt it, your doing the RIGHT thing here. What is your day job? Do you have to walk around or can you sit at a desk?? what do you do for fundraising??
Look forward to hearing from you
Love Beda xx
Your other post just came in whilst I was typing this, now I understand why you didnt go NHS - your GP sounds like a JERK - keep on the way your going, your doing fine xx
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 11:27:06 AM »
Beda - Hi again

You would think i have no work to do - just got to check everyones timesheets so that they can get paid not really important eh?  Hee hee have got all day to do it!!

Thank you for doing homework on my behalf - it's really kind of you.

I am an Assistant Manager in a swimming pool and will not be allowed back until i can pass a compentancy test and am capable of rescueing someone in the pool, as we are the lifeguards back up in an emergancy.  Thank goodness i have worked here long wnough to be entitled to 6 months full and 6 months half pay if i need it.  Paul said it will be 16 weeks until i can return and OS said 12.  I think Paul is probably right though.

Gonna PM you with mobile etc in a min.

Lisa

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Bedas Atelier
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
Lisa - tanks for the post. i have just had a brillliant idea - why dont you make  a web-site with your Zambia project?? All you have to do is go in on google or some or other search engine, punch in 'free web-sites-home pages' and there you will get a choice of what one you want to use. here you can establish a web site all of your own, its real easy, you just follow the instructions online on the web page, theres scabelons etc. for the different pictures and texts, it would be a GREAT web site, and maybe you could use it as a fund-raising help. this way we can shae your pictures and experiences. My  www.bedasatelier.dk  was a free website at first, but I chose to get a domain name for it, so it cost about 140kr. for 3 months, if that now, and some are COMPLETELY free. Try to look into it, as you have a computer and you sure will have the TIME for it after your surgery.
By the way, thats great about your job. I've been getting disability payments for 25 years now due to my knee. i was an artist and a chef. Still do the art though, when I can stand up long enough at an easle, cant at the moment.
xx Love Beda
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'86 osteotomy
constant pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »
Hello Lisa, that link you put on Beda's diary was amazing...Lee Daniels is an awesome photographer!!  You should feel lucky knowing him :)  I looked at his photos for about 30minutes and just couldn't believe how great they are!  So that's great that you get so much paid time off!!  I have to make up all the time I took off for my surgery...2 weeks plus lots of sick days over the last 5 months.  The sick days were from bad pain here and there.  I figure it is better going home then sitting at work wasting the day away in pain.  I still get full pay checks, but it will catch up at the end of the year when they calculate how much time off I have had.  There is a chance I will not get a check at the end of the year if I don't make that time up.  So I try to work 4hrs on the weekends here and there. 

I think it is a great idea to make one of those free home pages like Beda suggested.  That will definitely give you something to do when you return from Zambia and have your surgery.  I must admit, don't know much about OATS.  My OS once suggested ACI for me b/c he didn't know how much cartilage damage there was.  He said if it was down to the bone, then he would do a biopsy during my Fulkerson surgery.  It wasn't to the bone, but close.  So he doesn't need to do that surgery now.  Thank goodness...b/c I know it is a lengthy recovery time! 

Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend getting ready for your trip!!!  You are doing a great thing going to Zambia!!!  I hope your knee holds up.  Do you wear a brace?? 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

support