Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lisa'a pre op diary - moved  (Read 7698 times)

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Lisa'a pre op diary - moved
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:21:32 AM »
Hi everyone

I have after much deliberation decided to do my own pre-op diary and to do it here because hopefully this is the type of surgery that will be next on my list. 

I have 10 weeks to go.  Yes that it still a long way off but it doesn't mean that it isn't on my mind and doesn't mean that i don't think about it not constantly but it is there and the fears are just as real now as they will be nearer the time.

The surgeon wants to do OATS or MOSAICPLASTY whichever is the most appropriate when he gets in the joint.  He has seen the pictures from the last surgery and he has recent x-rays which clearly show that microfractures in OCT 2006 did not do what they were intended to.  My main fear at the moment is that HE doesn't do what he intends, not that he does.

How do i feel about it?  Well to start with the prospect of open surgery scared me rigid but i have now got my head around that so i am okay with it.  The waiting is a nightmare but it is a nightmare of my own doing.  I have played the 'did i make the right decision game' in mu head at least 100 times.  I know i have but as the symptoms get more prominant it makes you wonder.  I do charity work in Zambia, something that i spend all year fundraising for, and the reason why i asked for it to be done when i get back and not before.  My physio says that my knee is rubbish, a fact that the surgeon agrees with, but that because of my high pain thresh-hold that i am not always symptomatic.  I should not be able to do everything that i do.  It's not always a good thing because i tend to go too far without realising then it hurts.  Hurt to be is when i think it's a '4', but when it gets to that it's probably nearer an '8'.  Ooops.

A friend thinks i don't work hard enough in the gym to lose the weight, she forgets that i have a bad knee and that i am probably doing too much as it is, or she thinks that because i do what i do that my knee isn't as bad as i say it is.  If the OS saw what i do do then he would probably have a fit.  It shouldn't matter to me what anyone thinks but it does.

I am starting this diary for two reasons.

1   So that i can log back on each week or so and add any new fears to it, so that as time goes by i can be able to share my feelings.
2   To communicate with new friends and get to know people who i know will be a tremendous support to me in the future. 

Sorry it's a long start but it has already made me feel better, just to start writing it down.

Lisa x

remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

kiddthekatt

Re: Lisa'a pre op diary - moved
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »
Lisa;
   This is a good place to start. I wanted to thank you for your reply on my story post. I try to reply to threads but sometimes I don't exactly know what to say. You know about my problems with failed knee replacements, but I really don't know about the surgery that you are facing. I'll be here for you to vent, ask questions or to just chat. Most of the people here are really nice folks, but you will run into some that are not. If you have a question and I can't answer it, I bet we can find someone who can. Take care of you.

Angel

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:32:27 PM »
Thanks Angel it's good to know that there will be people out there who care.  I don't expect everyone to know or understand, just as i don't understand what you have/are going through because it's different to mine, but likewise i will be there to support you too.

Lisa x

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »
it's 6 weeks today until i go to Zambia - that's the exciting bit of my life to look forward to.  The kids are great.  Some of them in the first orphange called Chimwemwe which means 'smile' were living on the streets 6 years ago and have soooo dramatically changed their lives around it's a honour and priviledge to be involved in their lives.

The less exciting or just as exciting depending on how i feel on what day is the fact that my op is 9 weeks away on Monday.  Yesterday i had a bad day with my knee.  It hurt and i found that even in the exercise classes that i normally do, which i modify to be able to do i was struggling.  The pain is mainly on the medial side and sometimes lets me know that it is awake by letting my leg 'give way' - very kind of it to remind me i feel. If i hadn't had my ACL done i'd have thought it was that - but no - it's 'Just' Arthriits, and the old bone on bone runbbing.

I am trying soo hard to lose some weight before the op and i am struggling big time to do so.  I have lost 7lbs but that is no-where near what i wanted to do. :(  Short of starving myself i don't know what else to try.

My friend continues to bad mouth me- continues to beleive that i am only having surgery to copy her and it continues to get me down.  I log on here to cheer myself up, i play the games in the games section and i read other peoples threads and how they are getting on.  I see people supporting each other through some horrendous surgeries and situations and think i am not so badly off.......but i am only human and it still gets to me.  Why do some people have to be so mean.........and then so nice.  I just don't get it.

I have booked a PT session on Monday - i see him at the moment when it is playing up and it is.  He lets me sound off about things and looks after me well.  It makes me feel better for 2/3 days and then it starts all over again.

Oh well - enough moaning.  I should find out next week what the work in Zambia is going to consist of.  Last year there was lots and lots of painting and fence building.............can't wait for that bit.

So i am off at the end of this working day for my 4 days off and can't wait.  Shame it only comes around every 3rd week...........oh the perils of working in leisure!!

Have a good weekend any readers of my tread...........more to come!!

Lisa x
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:35:26 AM by lis1 »

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »
Lisa, sorry about your friend not being so nice!  I have a friend kind of like that.  She is so tired of hearing about my knee issues.  I just don't have anybody else to talk about it with, ya know?  I don't like to worry my husband or my parents.  So I just talk about it on here.  Just ignore your friend or see if you can get a break from her for a while.  That sucks that she thinks you are just copying her.  Your OS wouldn't just want you to have surgery for no reason.  So some how maybe you can prove to your friend you have a problem?  Don't know what to tell you about that.  The stress of knee injuries are bad enough without people criticizing you about it.  Sorry you are going through that!  I hope that it gets better for you!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 11:11:19 AM »
thanks Farrah

She had a lateral release 6 weeks ago and i have osteochondral grade 4 defects - shes know i have problems i think its a fear on her side that she won't get enough attention, and that maybe i will.  I don't seek attention though and would really rather be normal and have no knee problems at all but i ahve unfortunately and that's a fact ...............for now.

I don't have a husband to talk to and thats why i like this site so much.  My mum got divorced from my step dad 3 years ago and still has issues from that so i try not to worry her (they were married 2 days short of 30 years) and just need somewhere where i can feel safe to talk.......and i do here.

Lisa x

Offline Judiann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 03:39:59 AM »
Lisa;
   This is a good place to start. I wanted to thank you for your reply on my story post. I try to reply to threads but sometimes I don't exactly know what to say. You know about my problems with failed knee replacements, but I really don't know about the surgery that you are facing. I'll be here for you to vent, ask questions or to just chat. Most of the people here are really nice folks, but you will run into some that are not. If you have a question and I can't answer it, I bet we can find someone who can. Take care of you.

Angel

Offline neilur

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 04:12:42 AM »
Lisa -
First of all I wish you all the best of luck with everything you have going. I know awaiting surgery is awful, i only had to wait 2 weeks before my surgery (had it 2 days ago) and i hated it!! Im sorry to hear that your friend is being mean, it is weird how much a negative comment from a friend can do to your moral. I had a close friend say some not very nice comments to me about my knee and surgery that really pissed me off. It took a lot of mind power to get over what he said, but now i can see that what he said truly didnt mean s**t. As long as I was satisfied with where i was and what i was doing then it really doesnt matter what other say. More than likely she is the one with the issue, not you. So stay strong and you will get through all of this. People here are willing to help in any way we can, so feel free to take advantage of what the board has to offer.

Best,
Neil

Where are you located?
Fu*ked Left knee

Offline Judiann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 04:40:13 AM »
Lisa;

Hi,
             My name is Judi, and I am planning on a TKR late this summer. I am very worried about the recuperation since my husband is going to take only two weeks off from work. I had ACL surgery a couple of years ago, and I had pain a good 6 months after it was done. I also had the gel injections, so my Doctor says having the replacement it the only option left. My Doctor prefers to do a spinal during surgery which is also scary to me. I know I sound like a big chicken.  :-\

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »
Hi Guys

Neil - I am in Peterborough in the UK.  I have/ am having 4 days off work at the moment as it is my weekend of - something that i only get every 3 weeks, hence the reason why the reply is not so quick.  I have had a positive weekend and have hardly seen the 'friend'so that also helps.  I think that it is great that i have found this site because i know how much you are all going to help.

Judi

You do not sound like a chicken.  I am grateful that my OS puts me under - there is no way i want to hear what is going on in my knee.  I will be here to support you as i know some of the others will too.  I too will be coping a lot of the time on my own.  I am still looking for the elusive man to appear in my life!!

I will be around to chat some more tomorrow so until then i hope you all stay as well as you can.

Lisa x

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »
Physio on Monday was good (ish).. Paul said my knee was 'boggy'.  I asked him what that was suposed to mean and his reply was "bigger than it should be, soft and sqidgy and full of s**t"..  That about sums it up i suppose.  He told me i am still doing too much in the gym and i have to slow it down ......how much slower can i go.  He says i need to get it settled before the 10 hour flight on June 6th.  I guess i will have to take an ice pack or two on the flight and that sleep will be out of the question as walking around will be important..............oh well.

This week i have gone on a 'crash diet' for 1 one week only to try and kick start some weight loss.  Sat will be the day i weigh in and hopefully it should be less.  I don't really approve of doing this myself but am hoping that if i see some weight come off then it will motivate me.  I have no idea how some people do liquid replacement diets for so long.  I am eating a good breakfast, protein shakes for lunch and dinner and am eating fruit too.  The way i see it it's just like doing a de-tox of sorts and loads of people do them.  Am looking forward to a treat on Saturday though.  I laughed with my lifeguards tonight though becasue i 'cheated' yeserday and commited the great sin of having a slice of toast.  If the weight hasn't moved guess what i will blame?  I am not huge but i would like to be hauling a bit less wieght around when i am on my crutches.

There's loads going on at work this week so i haven't had much time to 'skive' .  It's the busy time for the next course of swimming lessons so loads of admin stuff to get on with.....ahhhhhhh what fun!!

Oh well till next time.  Thanks for listening ....more later.

LIsa x

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »
I am replying to myself - but that's fine.  People are reading so someone might be interested!  The crash diet had an effect.  I lost 5 1/2 lbs and my BMI went down by 0.4.  Now i have to just keep going.  Today is treat day so when i finish work i am having Indian takeaway.  Yum yum!!  1 hour to go!! ;D :D ;D

Lisa

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 09:12:55 PM »
Congrats on your weight loss!!  I can't wait to get back in the gym and start exercising again!!  One day!!! 

I hope you enjoyed your Indian take out!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
This week i lost another pound in weight and another .2 off my BMI which is good news for the op in June and has achieved the desired affect - i am now very motivated!!  Everyone at work today had a yummy sandwich delivery and i have a 10 calorie cup a soup with a bread roll, and some fruit.

My 'friend' now thinks that because i don't take pain killers i am trying to be some kind of hero and that when i am in pain i should just take them.  There are 2 reasons why i am avoiding them at the moment.

1     Because of what is wrong with my knee i think (rightly or wrongly) that once i start taking them i am on the road of no return and will be taking them forever.

2    That now i am feeling pain, the pain is my traffic light and makes me stop instead of doing too much, particulary at the gym.

However she did touch a nerve, so yesterday i had a word with my physio and he agrees with me, i am a nightmare when it comes to working out in that i have a tendancy to go too far, so the fact that i now feel it and stop is a good thing.  He has told me to start taking some at night though.

It is 4 weeks until Zambia so 7 weeks until the op.  I need some help as next Friday is when i phone the insurance for the authorisation number and they got a bit awkward last time.  I could really do with it being easy.  Financially things are a bit tight at the moment and if it wasn't for having the operation i might have had to look at that money being one of the cutbacks - but this op is not done on the NHS so i just cannot afford not to pay it.  According to the OS if i don't get it done i am likely to be in a wheelchair in 2 years and i certainly don't want that.

I have so much to do.  I bought a spare pair of crutches so that i can have a pair at the top of my stairs and a pair at the top which helped last time.  Now i need to 'crutch proof' the flat, pack for Zambia, phone the airline because i need to take 2 bags as i have so much stuff for the kids, sort out my finances, and work full time including weekends - oh JOY.

Well fellow geeks that's my news at the moment.

Till next time.

Lisa x

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »
Hi Lisa,

The voluntary work you do sounds just fantastic. I would love to do something like that one day. The timing just isn't right at the moment.

I know what you are going through. Like you I am waiting for surgery. It is exactly 1 week and 5 days today. Will be glad to get it over and done with as it's a big operation. I am having a trochleoplasty of my left knee. May also need a revision of my MPFL reco as I am experiencing both medial and lateral instability.

Try not to worry about your friend too much. They just aren't worth. It sounds like they are actually jealous of you. I am so sick of people making inappropriate comments. They have no idea what you are going through. Sometimes I just wish I could tell people that they have no idea what they are talking about as they have never been through it !!!!

I wonder whether you should really get a second opinion. It concerns me that the surgeon doesn't always do what he says he will. I have a list of the best knee surgeons in the UK if you would like me to send you a PM. I lived in the UK for a couple of years and knew a good sports physician that worked for Fulham Football Club. From him I have got a list of the best knee surgeons in the UK.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support