Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: too young for surgery?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline trishp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
too young for surgery?
« on: April 13, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »
My husband is 51.  He's in constant pain.  Bilateral arthroscopies show he has grade 3 arthritis in one knee, grade 4 in the other - where the meniscus has an actual hole.  He's just had a course of Go-On injections, which didn't help at all.  The doctors are now suggesting tramadol and citonin to put off any operation until he's older.This seems cruel. 
He was on tramadol before a previous back fusion, and hates how it makes him feel. It does reduce the intensity of the pain, but also reduces all other sensations, and life under tramadol isn't life, for him it's a grey semi-existance.  So he's just taking eferalgan, a paracetamol, and moving by sheer will power.
Any ideas what we do next?
Thank you.

Trish

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: too young for surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »
Trish, what about more opionions ? Is the cartilage weared down in every part of the knees or just in a certain part ? In some cases osteotemy can be done and change the forces in the knee. But is depending if only one site f.i. medial is weared down in the knee.
Braces has he tried that ?
51 is not young if he needs a new joint. Many here are younger.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
Have you all thought about 2nd or 3rd opinion?  Too much life left at 51 to be in constant pain.  If it were me I'd be exploring everything to see who / what would help him and probably start with some different os's.

Offline April28

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »
Hi Trish,

You definitely have 2 keep shopping around for a Orthopedic Surgeon.  51 is not to young 4 a new knee.  I am 28 and need a new knee.  I am trying 2 hold off 4 now!  Medication can only pacify the situation for so long!  When you rely on medication surgery is the next best step!  I hope You get 2 the bottom of this issue 4 your husband!  He is too young 2 suffer !  You need to enjoy life to the fullest! Keep everybody posted about your husbands new Ortho doctor!  Where do you live?  This site has Ortho doctors listed on it!  I hope this helps!

April 
1995 Patella Femoral Syndrome Diagnosed/Blown ACL &PCL- Had surgery plus Lateral Release
1997 Multiple Dislocations/ Cartilage torn /Arthroscopic repair for cartilage defect
2002 Blown out aCL again playing soccer/new cadeavor placed
2008 MPFL Repaired open surgery-6 month rehab
upcoming surgery!

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:42:36 AM »
I live in the UK where the surgeons tend to be very conservative wioth their approach and attitude to what is needed and i basically need a new knee.  I am 38.  I have been told that the OATS surgery that i will be having in June needs to work because they will not look at giving me a new knee until i am 46 and that would be privately - 50 if it was on the NHS.  So 51 shouldn't be too young - i agree with the others here.  Keep plugging away to get the right person with the right answers for your husband.  He is too young to be suffering unnecessarily.

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline April28

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »
Lisa,

You have the right attitude about getting a new knee!  Shopping around untill the right orth surgeon decides It's time to operate.  Don't take NO for an answer!

April
1995 Patella Femoral Syndrome Diagnosed/Blown ACL &PCL- Had surgery plus Lateral Release
1997 Multiple Dislocations/ Cartilage torn /Arthroscopic repair for cartilage defect
2002 Blown out aCL again playing soccer/new cadeavor placed
2008 MPFL Repaired open surgery-6 month rehab
upcoming surgery!

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
Thanks April i liketo think that i am as positive as i can be for the state of my knee.  But hey all of us on this site have problems and i am just one of them!!

The OATS will work and i will be able to manage for quite a bit longer - at least it will work as long as i do what i am told, and my physio and OS will make sure that i do that.  At  least i will be able to get full pay whilst i am off sick because i have been here long enough to be able to have 6 months full pay if i need it, but i am hoping to be back in 4.

Thanks for your support April

Lisa x

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 03:55:11 PM »
Hope all goes well. There are a few people who have had a TKR from the UK under 47.  You just need to contact the proper OS if it comes down to your quaility of life.

I think I read in your post the doctor has OATS in mind for you.  That is a pretty good option to have and try for if your a canidate for it.

Best of luck.

Offline richard48

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »
Trish,

I was 51 when I had my left knee replaced. It was the best thing I have ever done regarding my health. I had originally injured my knee playing football at age 19. During the next 32 years I had 5 surgeries including ACL done the old fashioned way. Prior to my replacement, my OS said I had the knee of an 80 year old man. In the 8 years since the knee replacement, I have had no pain and am able to golf and bowl.

Dick

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »
Plumb thanks for the advice!  The OS has x-rays and pics from the last surgery and believes that i am "an ideal candidate for OATS" so that is what we are planning on June 30th this year!  Bit daunting but it's gotta be better than TKR at my age and if it all doesn't work then i guess i will have to source an OS who will do it earlier than i am being told.