Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: pain-free sleep  (Read 13833 times)

Offline puffingirl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
pain-free sleep
« on: July 29, 2003, 11:33:19 PM »
I finally had a whole week of solid, pain-free sleep!  My primary care doctor prescribed Ambien (a sleep aid) for me and I've been taking only 5 mg per night and sleeping soundly.  Unfortunately I'm supposed to only take this stuff for a couple weeks at a time, but a couple of weeks of good sleep beats no weeks.  Just thought I'd pass this on...  
Right knee
2000--lateral meniscus repair, partial medial meniscectomy
2002--subtotal lateral and partial medial meniscectomy
2003--diagnostic scope
2009--lateral meniscal allograft

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
Re: pain-free sleep
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 12:02:51 AM »
I took Ambien 5mg also when I had my car accident that injured my knee 2 years ago, and it was a godsend I took it for about a month until the sleepless nights passed, then the nightmares of my accident started and my os thought a nerve pill would be more effective than a sleeping pill ??? I thought he was crazy but it worked!

Glad to hear you are get some good,sound sleep, sleep is something that really helps you cope with the pain a little better, and is very helpful in the healing process ;)

Take care and hope everything goes well for you

Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 12:36:24 AM »
I loved my ambien.  It allowed me to sleep for 8 hours at a time after my surgery--and I was strapped into a continuous passive motion machine and unable to move the whole night.  

It's good stuff.  The only complaint is that even with tapering I slept pretty badly for about a week after I stopped taking it.  You get spoiled....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 12:36:40 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »
Ambien made me hallucinate and have a fittful sleep.  After deliberation we tried Klonopin an anxiety pill and man did it work good.
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline slugger14310

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • TTT Surgery/Recovery Pics
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 01:43:57 AM »
My OS wouldn't prescribe Ambien for the very reason that many of you had to stop taking it.  What has worked for me since I had my surgery 2 weeks ago has been Bonine (similar to Dramamine) at night.  It not only helps the nausea but I'm out within an hour or so of taking it.  Once the nausua stopped and I was off the real heavy pain meds constantly, I take a few Tylenol PMs and that does the trick for me.
December 2014 - L AMZ/Scope/Chrondroplasty
August 2009 - R AMZ/Scope/Chrondroplasty
June 2007 - R scope
May 2000 - L scope

Offline sabasc3

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:14:18 AM »
Ambien made me hallucinate and have a fittful sleep.  After deliberation we tried Klonopin an anxiety pill and man did it work good.
Clonazepam (generic Klonopin) works nicely for me as well. 
Sep.09.09 - broke kneecap on sidewalk
Sep.18.09 - Surgery 2 pins 2 wires, small fix to retinaculum
Apr.02.10 - Surgery - pins and wires out
See Diary of Scott's right patella fracture recovery[/url

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 03:39:03 AM »
Ambien makes me hyper.  Cannot take it.  Benadryl works, but gives me a "hang over" the next morning.  It takes a while for my head to clear.  I've tried all the herbal things with no success.  Very frustrating!
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline spoonsie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:40:07 AM »
Ativan !  Also helps with wicked quad cramps

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »
I have taken Ambien 10 mg and it makes me get up in the middle of the night.  I sleep walk.  I used to get up and cook 4 course meals.  No memory, just get up the next morning and the kitchen is trashed.  My last episode with Ambien I was up standing in the middle of the living room barking orders (I am a Boat Captain) and my son had a tough time getting me to go to bed.  Usually when I walk around I am very compliant, but not lately.  I have taken Ambien off and on for the past 5 years. 

I recommend Restoril or Halcion if you have a tough time sleeping.  Lunestra is not available in a generic and is quite expensive.  I have not tried Ativan, but I hear it is good.

I actually have better luck with Xanaflex or Soma in a generic form.  These are muscle relaxers.  Just make sure you are in your jammies, sitting on the edge of your bed.  Then, take your pill and lay down. 

The news reported a Senator actually drove on Ambien to the Capitol.  He crashed his car into the barriers with no recollection of the trip.  The police were first going to book him on DUI, but they discovered it was Ambien.  If Ambien causes you to leave the house, do not take a chance.  My wife takes her belt from her bath robe and ties it around my right foot and her left foot.  If I try to get out of bed it wakes her up.

I have a very tough time sleeping, but you must use caution.  Ambien does not appear to be addictive to me.  I have taken it for six months at a time.  The only reason I switch is my insurance requires an authorization from the doctor....not necessary with Restoril or Halcion.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 02:34:59 AM »
I have zopiclone as a sleep aid.  Some people get a really bad after-taste in their mouth when they take it.  I get none of this and usually half of a 7.5mg pill knocks me out for the night when I am very very tired. 

Offline Max4488

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 11:55:21 PM »
try sublingual melatonin