Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee replacement - 6 weeks postop - pain problem  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Babsmau

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Knee replacement - 6 weeks postop - pain problem
« on: July 29, 2003, 10:23:13 PM »
Am now six weeks post op and have lots of pain in knee just like a bunch of stinging nettles with sharp shooting pain going through, the same day and night nothing helps, ice packs, heat pads, painkillers,I have just tried acupuncture first go, as it appears my prothesis is working ok apart from "clonking" as I walk, the orthopods dont want to know, anyone any ideas? It is as if my nerve endings are just under the skin and very sensitive
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 10:09:42 AM by admin »
norfolkdumpling

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
Re: post op knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 12:10:48 AM »
I have not had a knee replacement although I have had 6 surgeries on my right knee and also have the same type pain that you are describing, I asked my pt about it and he said it was in fact my nerve endings just as I thought.

There is really nothing that I have found that helps this although mine comes in spurts and doesn't last that long but if you are having this all the time I would say something to your os, not really sure if all the time is normal with no relief.

Anyway, just thought I would post to let you know you are not alone with the needle pain,and I hope you get some relief soon.

P.s Sylvia had a tkr recently so you might want to talk with her and see if she is experiencing this kind of sensation, I know she is in alot of pain but not sure about this??

Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: post op knee replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 02:23:09 AM »
Hi!

Well I'm 7 months post-op on my left tkr, 2 weeks on my right.  My first thought after reading your post was about the fact that you are 6 weeks post-op--that is about standard recovery time and pain 24/7 does not sound right to me.  I'm assuming that you still have the numb patch on the lateral side of your knee--and the clonking??????That is another red flag to me--how have your post-op x-rays looked?

Are you still in pt?  My first tkr got me a ten week program--too early to make the call on this.

It is astounding to me that the orthos "don't want to know."  Mine is so proud of his work and efforts that he is really invested in me right now--I'm having an extension/excessive pain thing going on.  Try and push them for better--that is where the expertise is and the real answers can begin.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions I might be able to help you with.  Good luck, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek