Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Healing time post-arthroscopy?  (Read 9718 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Healing time post-arthroscopy?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »
Sometimes knee problems go away with PT or dont cause enough of an issue to warrant surgery - its last resort so possibly thats why they keep ignoring it.

You might need more than 2 days off work. I was off for 5 days altogether, had the op on a thursday, went back to work on the tuesday - but could drive from sunday and probably could have worked monday.

the muscle above your kneecap is your VMO (towards the middle), hamstring is the one in the back of your leg. If your swollen its very hard to make the muscles do any work.

Im in Ireland, so I didnt use any insurance, I paid privately to see OS and he chucked me into the public system for the op so it was free.

Oh youd be grand for 2 hour flight after 2 weeks!! Depending on what they find of course, but if its something simple like torn meniscus or floating foreign body then you'll be grand. You might be weak for a few weeks and need physio but youd be well able to get around.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline nrw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 11:22:13 AM »
Eek, that's what I was afraid of, I don't think it's a problem if I need to take another day or two....fingers crossed tho  :-\

Re the insurance, sorry I was referring to travel insurance that covered your knee? Also I had booked a horse-riding holiday in October, wondering whether my knee will be strong enough to do a week of riding aswell (esp as that was how I injured it!!), I hadn't got round to buying insurance for that yet so cannot cancel it easily.

lol OK, VMO sounds like right place - it's that muscle that doesn't seem to want to work to help me raise my leg or pick it up from behind me when i'm walking  ??? Woke up this morning and I seem to have gone back a couple of days, very sore and keeps giving way when walking, so frustrating...bring on the scope!!!

OS never mentioned any physio, will have to ask him on Tuesday - I would have thought I would have had to see a physio, esp as this injury was a recent accident....
1993 - Teenage R knee pain, various scans, lots of physio, no real answer
2006 - MRI - still no answer
03/08 - Weak/unstable R knee, pain
06/08 - R Knee gave way horse-riding - swelling, pain
06/08 - Athroscopy concluded no damage
08/08 - Diagnosed inflammatory joint disease in R knee

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »
You may be ok for work after a couple of days - all depends on what the surgeon does, no panic yet, see how you are after. The first 3 days (including the day of the op) were tough for me - then all of a sudden on the 4th day I felt like I hadnt even had an operation - it all just suddenly improved overnight.

Oh the travel insurance is just the policy the travel company offered, I had to declare Id had cartilage repair but they said it doesnt affect the policy.

Your VMO is your patella stabiliser. So when you extend your leg it is supposed to clench in and make your patella move properly in its groove. Its part of the quad set - which has 4 parts, but its likely your lateral quads are less affected. Your quads do 2 jobs, they lift your whole leg up in conjunction with the hip muscles, and then they control the lower leg extending in relation to the upper leg.

You probably will get physio - a scope is a diagnostic so they may not want to give you physio yet in case it does more damage - they want to have a look in first to see whats going on.

Is it a day surgery for you? I went in at 7.30am and was home by 1pm. I was quite ropey from the general anasthetic that evening, like a hangover without the headache lol - kept getting waves of nausea and feeling generally weak and dodgy - if that happens lie on your bed and sip water - it helps. The waves pass though so I had this comedy situation going on where i was like 'Oh I feel awful, just want a cold wet towel for my head' and then 15 minutes later 'i feel great! I think Ill have something to eat' and then a while after 'oh...I feel bad again.....'. I was fine next morning!!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline LA35

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
Hey All-

Sorry to barge in.  Not sure if I'm off topic.  I'm new to the site.  Had the scope to remove torn meniscus a week ago.  Everything 'seems' fine.  I can walk on it...stretch it...put weight on it.  But I still 'baby' it.  I don't want to get over confident.
My question is on scaring.  I've heard that lumps can form where the stitching was for the scopes.  I've been told that by applying creams or vitamin oils you can avoid this. 
Any truth to it?

If so, does anyone have suggestions on what to apply to wounds?

Thanks,
LA35
Southern California-

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 10:05:08 AM »
Hi LA35,
its totally normal to 'baby' your knee so soon after the scope. It will be a couple of weeks before you get your confidence back on it - but you will!!!

Ive been using bio-oil on my scars - dont know if its made much difference, Ive a huge old TTT scar as well, but the weird thing is Ive been using the bio oil on the TTT scar for the past 2 weeks and the skin on it is starting to go peely - like there is new skin coming, now that scar is 20 years old!!! so thats unusual!
You should wait until your scabs are gone before using anything on the incision sites, and that the skin is fully healed over. Massaging them will help stop any scar tissue forming underneath too - but you probably wont get much scar tissue from your scope anyway - they are only puncture type incisions.

What were your symptoms before the scope? And what part of your meniscus did they remove?

NRW - good luck tomorrow and come back to tell us how you got along!!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline nrw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »
Thanks tanyap!  :) It was so painful on Saturday I contemplated queuing for the theatre a little early lol. I walked a little too much I think, all muscles down the back of my leg are sore (making walking even more difficult!) as I'm obviously not walking/hobbling on it properly. Grrr.

I'm due in 7am, so hopefully be first up and first out....little worried, will be relieved when it's all over and I know what's going on in there. I have had a general before, and just experienced a 3 day long headache...I just put it down to the yucky stuff getting out of my system!

Be in touch soon!  :-\

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 11:06:03 AM »
Go in early NRW - I was due in at 7.30am and I got there for 7, was down in theatre at 8. The worst part of the hospital bit was having to walk to theatre!!

When I woke up after I just felt drunk and sleepy, getting upright was a bit scary - they observed me for 1.5 hours before allowing me to stand up, when I did I felt pretty whoozy!!! But once I realised I could stand and walk I was fine.

When I went home I was pretty ropey - all I can say is, dont eat anything large, small snacks cos you feel fine one minute and rubbish the next, like a bad hangover without the headache. I took a vitamin B tablet and drank loads of water (treated it like a hangover really) and I nibbled Ryvita crackers if I felt nauseus - overall its not too bad cos you drift in and out of feeling bad - its not constant.

I was initially starving when I woke up but the nurses told me to eat light - which was lucky cos given half a chance I would have devoured a steak dinner within an hour of waking up :)

Ull be fine - just remember to sip plenty of water when you get home. It was easier for me to walk on it on the day of it than the next day - the next day I got some stabbing pains (they all went after a few days).

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline FarNorthFriend

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 10:59:06 PM »
Hope things are going well for you.  I've had 4 scopes over 7 years and each one got a little easier to get back up from.  The last one was a breeze.  He removed the last of the cartilage so the bone on bone sorta stunk, but lived with it.  Was in at 9 and out at 1 on my way home.  The lasy in recovery across from me was like --- your leaving - already.  She was out about an hour b4 me.  We were like - yup.  I come out really well.  Dressed and having lunch.  Played scrabble with the neighbors that pm (rowdy crowd - not your typical scrabble - quite a group - let's just say it was theme scrabble and I can't repeat the themes).  They indulged and I just took the meds.  Hung out for the weekend and then went back to school on Tuesday (took 3 days off - I worked with Emotionally challenged kddos and school was hesitant to let me in the room with kickers and throwers to soon).  Told not to drive (right leg) so hitched a ride for a few days. (June)  Started a decent walking regime on July 1 and learned to ski 6 months later (just beginner runs).  You should have no problem with the travel and the riding if it is a simple scope!  Good Luck!

Offline LA35

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
Thanks for the info Tanyap. 

Symptom before the scope started with light tightness behind my right knee.  On the third day it became a lot tighter to the point that when I got out of my car I would have to stretch it in order to stand up straight.  And with that came walking with a limp.  Over the next couple months it went from extreme discomfort from too much walking, to occasional discomfort with walking.  Since the scope on June 13 I'm doing good.  Walking without a limp!!  Can walk stairs with no prob.
Fingers crossed.......hoping for the best.

LA35

Offline nrw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 02:03:50 PM »
Hullo all.

Just updated my original thread on this, but thought i'd come back to this one in case anybody else was curious with the subject title!

So, had the scope....some paracetamol, codeine & anti-sickness later I was sent home - about 6 hrs post-surgery. OS said everything OK mechanically, but there was a lot of debris and inflammation in the joint - showed me the pics. Took out the debris and told me it would probably be more painful than beforehand, took a biopsy & will get the result in my followup app in 5 weeks time. Have only 2 scars, look to be healing well already - plus i'm allowed to go on holiday (hooray). Am still on crutches, just to take the edge off when walking further distances, but back in work and hitching a lift for a few days until I can drive. Swelling not so bad, just so painful to walk on  :'(

Being very good patient with physio exercises  :)

I guess i'll be referred to the joint inflammatory people, the exact outcome I didn't want, very upsetting  :-\

If it is some type of arthritis (and the bones, cartlidge etc aren't damaged yet?!) - does anybody know what can be done?! Or what else it may be?!

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 03:55:58 PM »
Hi nrw,
was wondering how you'd gotten along alright!

Glad the scope itself went well, sorry to hear about joint inflammation stuff, I hope they can sort that out for you - did the OS say it was arthritis or what had caused it? Or is that what the biopsy is for?

Well I hope it turns out ok - where is your other thread and I shall sign up to it!
xx
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline nrw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 04:37:38 PM »
Hello *waves* Thankyou, i'm slowly recovering!

This is the other thread http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=42705.15

did it work?? I'm not sure how these things work, i've only made 2 posts though!

OS didn't actually say arthritis, just that it would either be mechanical (something he would fix) or he would refer me to joint inflammatory team....and that's who the biopsy is for. 5 weeks seems like a long time to wait for test results tho  :-\