Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: meniscectomy?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline petvil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
meniscectomy?
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:30:58 PM »
 ??? I have been told by my OS that I need a meniscectomy. I am a ultra runner and the thought of removing menisci scares me. I tore my meniscus about 3 months ago. I had an MRI done about one month ago which revealed the tear on my medial posterior horn and also a small tear on the lateral horn of my right knee. I have never felt any pain in the lateral side though.I am not in pain any more and can squat with no pain. My knee is feeling more stable as each week passes. However I am not running and not twisting my knee but am riding my bike up to as much as 25 miles with no pain at all.

I have watched videos on you tube of a meniscectomy and when I saw large chunks of meniscus flying away I though how is the knee going to be able to stay stable and will it be able to endure the kind of pressure a runner exposes it to? I am a little worried that I will be reduced to running short distances and limited times per week.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: meniscectomy?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »
Why not see another doctor who can review if your are an ACI or oats canidate?   Removing your meniscus means no shock absorbing and = painful knees upon running.  Worth a look into before removing a doctor who does ACI maybe able to get you back running again in a year. 

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
Sorry, but ACI and OATS are methods of restoring or repairing articular cartilage and will do nothing for a torn meniscus. 

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 06:13:56 PM »
The tears can be small and that means that you will have a lot of the meniscies remaining and your knee will adjust after that. Many topathletes undergo this surgery and get back to their sports again, so why shouldn't you be able ? Be straightforward to your OS and make your concerns clear.
In some cases where the tear is in area with bloodsupply you can instead have a repair. That means longer recovery, but also more of meniscus saved.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline petvil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 01:07:03 AM »
thanks for the reply. I have read as much as I can on meniscus subject but have not talked with any runners who have had this surgery. Would like to know if they are having any problems after having an meniscectomy. I know it all depends on how much is removed.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 01:33:03 PM »
You might have to resign yourself to the fact that no matter what you do, you're not going to be able to keep up the same level of running forever. Running is notoriously bad for knees. At some point they will break down and you won't be able to continue. A torn meniscus is kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The damage is done and the degeneration will continue. At some point you'll have to decide whether all that running is worth the risk to your knees.