Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Preparing for patellar realignment surgery  (Read 1078 times)

Offline colleenem78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Preparing for patellar realignment surgery
« on: April 05, 2008, 11:38:43 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm posting because I'm preparing for surgery in June.  I'm having a left tibial tubercle osteotomy after years of pain and dislocation.  Knee problems run in the family, so when mine started at age 9 it wasn't a huge surprise.  I was able to avoid surgery until age 20, when I had immediate surgery after I injured my left knee so severely during a dislocation that it caused a patellar fracture and other damage. 

Since then, I've tried to stay healthy and active - and was able to avoid the OS for 9 years, despite regular pain and icing.  When the pain and crackling got so severe I couldn't deny it anymore I finally went for a visit... and found out that both knee caps were tracking severely out of the groove, there was evidence of cartilage damage and arthritis, among other issues.  Doctor called me the perfect candidate for the surgery.  After 6 mos of PT and a second opinion, I finally agreed to schedule it.

This site has been REALLY helpful in helping me gain information about the procedure.  All I know is that the knee cap will be realigned with screws in the tibia and I will be non-weight bearing for six weeks.  If it goes well on the left we will do it on the right in the future.  I would love for some of you 'regulars' to point me in the right direction in finding posts that will be most relevant.  I'm most interested in learning more about the procedure itself, and recovery and rehab.  Thank you in advance for your help!

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Preparing for patellar realignment surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 02:16:39 AM »
Colleen,

I would check out the post op areas.  There are many people who had this surgery that are in recovery right now...I am one of them, but don't read my diary.  My knee cap is better, but the pain is not...it isn't normal, so don't read mine.  Good luck!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline colleenem78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
Thanks Farrah.  It's been amazing to me how many different experiences people have had with the surgery.  Some inpatient some home right away, some weight bearing right away, some nwb like me for 6 weeks.  I guess I'll just keep reading and wait until my pre-op appointment to ask my giant list of questions.  I hope you are healing well!

Colleen

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 05:13:29 PM »
Colleen, there is definitely a lot to this surgery.  I wish I had a normal recovery b/c I would be walking by now.  Long story short, I am still on 2 crutches at 3 months PO and am scheduled for a cortisone shot tomorrow to help with pain.  They say my problem is severe muscle weakness, so making the pain go away will help me strengthen my muscles.  Most everyone else on here is fine at 3 months PO!  It is normal to have small issues and concerns now and then, but usually none of it is cause for concern.  If you follow your doctors orders after surgery, you will be fine.  It does get really frustrating to have to be NWB for 6 weeks....but I was only PWB (50% weight bearing) for 2 weeks and was also frustrated.  Your knee just begs to be used!  With this surgery, there are a lot of frustrations and ups and downs, but if you post on this website, there will always be people here to support you.  This website has helped me through a lot over the last few months.  I am usually one of those patients that goes to an OS apt and doesn't really say much.  Well since I have been struggling with pain so much, the people on here really motivated me to say something multiple times.  So in the last 1.5 months or so, I have really been driving my medical team crazy until the point where they listened to me and now I am on a plan for pain relief!  Without this website, I probably would still just be crying about the pain.  Anyway, I hope it all works out for you!  It really isn't that bad if you follow doctors orders! 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline April28

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »
Hi Colleen,

I am preparing for my TTT Realignment surgery in May!  I wish you good luck on your surgery!  I will keep everybody posted on mine! U do the same!  I also have extensive dislocations since I was 15.  I am 28 now dealing with this.  Had Lateral Release back then bought Me some time!  hopefully We can chat some more!

April
1995 Patella Femoral Syndrome Diagnosed/Blown ACL &PCL- Had surgery plus Lateral Release
1997 Multiple Dislocations/ Cartilage torn /Arthroscopic repair for cartilage defect
2002 Blown out aCL again playing soccer/new cadeavor placed
2008 MPFL Repaired open surgery-6 month rehab
upcoming surgery!

Offline colleenem78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 02:26:38 AM »
Farrah - Thanks for the encouragement.  I know it will have it's 'ups and downs' but know I will get through it.

April - I will look forward to your post-op posts and recovery stories!  I'm 29... it seems like we've had a similar history.  Thanks for replying - we'll be in touch.

support