Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial meniscus tear, but instability?  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Surgeon2Be

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial meniscus tear, but instability?
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
I recently reinjured my knee in a soccer game and got an MRI to see what was wrong. At the unfortunate age of 7, I dislocated my knee and am now 15 and still living with pain because my doctor did not correctly treat me in 1st grade. The doctor from my recent injury said that there was a partial tear of the anterior horn of my lateral meniscus in my left knee. He also said there is old damage to my ACL (my therapist said that it might be a tear that is covered by a lot of scar tissue). Usually instability comes from bucket handle tears or complete tears, but I don't have that. So is instability common in partial meniscus tears or could it be from the old ACL injury? It has sometimes felt unstable in the past few years.  Also, I was walking down the hall at school the other day and it had been feeling unstable and had already given our once, but it literally buckled and got stuck. It felt like something was lodged under my kneecap and i heard a huge crack when I bent it 5 minutes later. It was only in a lot of pain for 15 minutes then dulled off. I'm also going to PT 3 times a week for 3 weeks before I go to my doctors (which is this wednesday).
Thanks in advance :)

Also, does anybody know if the anterior horn gets a good blood supply and can heal on its own?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Partial meniscus tear, but instability?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:19:51 AM »
MRIs are not 100% accurate all the time so there could be other damage that was not seen. The fact that your knee is unstable is an issue, especially at your age, and it doesn't matter a whole lot what's causing it. What matters is that it gets fixed. The stuck feeling you felt is a classic sign of a meniscus tear. You've probably had the tear for several years and it's not going to heal on its own. Only the areas closest to the edge have a blood supply.

I tore my ACL at age 15 and all they could do back then is remove it completely. Within a few months I had a torn meniscus because I was so unstable. I went for 17 years doing what you did with my knee buckling and locking up. I had arthritis by my mid-20s. I had my ACL fixed finally but the damage was done. By 49 I had a partial knee replacement. I do hope you get that thing taken care of soon.

Offline Surgeon2Be

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »
Thanks jathib :) I definitely have to talk to my doc about this because I have read online that ACL tears that go untreated have a high chance of arthritis. I'm really hoping he will at least do arthroscopy to see what's wrong because my knee would not randomly be in pain and give out for so many years. That really sucks what happened to your knee. I hope it's feeling better now days with all the new technology, but I understand it will never be 100%.
Thanks again!

Offline petvil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:31:34 AM »
Only meniscus in the red zone has a better chance of healing. The red zone is the outer 20-30% of the meniscus. If the tear extends into the white zone then usually it needs to be cleaned out. This is only what I have read and told by my OS. Remember everybody responds differently to healing and treatment. I usually do what my body signals tell me. Be patient do the right therapy and talk to as many people as possible on your problem.