Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brace wearing  (Read 1091 times)

Offline danthequaker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Brace wearing
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:48:06 PM »
I recently was fit for an osteo unloader brace.  It's made by Generation ii for my right knee.

I have a few questions. 

How long until I am "used" to wearing it?    It is not uncomfortable just,  always there, if you know what I mean.
(I am on day 4 of wearing it)

Other than the ever consciousness of it, it has really revolutionized my life.  I am walking without pain.  First day did 2 blocks which would have killed me before.  Today I walked half a mile and I am still rearing to go.   I love it from that aspect.   I don't want to be without it, but is that good?

I want to hear from people with experience.    Another question.  How long will the pads and straps hold out.  So far I strap it on at 4 am and wear it until I go to bed about 10 PM.   Am I over doing it?

Thanks,
Dan

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: Brace wearing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
Hi Dan!

My surgeon prescribed an unloader brace to me over a year ago.  The reasoning behind her having me use the brace, was to determine if I was a candidate for a high tibial osteotomy.  When it was first applied, and I walked around the office to just see how it felt, I didn't like it at first.  However, within wearing it for minutes, I could already tell of a decrease in my pain!  Going downhill, and up stairs didn't hurt as bad as they did.  I usually wore it from when I got up in the morning, until I went to bed at night, as my surgeon wanted me in it anytime I was up and on the go. 

As far as not wanting to be without the brace, I understand.  I can definitely tell the difference my knee feels when I don't wear the brace.  My surgeon basically put it that if I only needed the bracing for certain activity, that we'd stick with that plan and go from there.  However, if I needed to depend on the brace pretty much during all my activity of daily living, then suggested looking into the osteotomy.  I'm a 20 year old, needing my knee for quite some more time!  Unfortunately I couldn't go through the day without wearing it, so I eventually booked my osteotomy for late May. 

Hope you are doing well and glad that you like the brace so far.  Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions!
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline kr8ivemind

• Regular Poster
  • Mental toughness is essential to success. Lombardi
    • Mimi's Surgery Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »
Hi Dan -

I, like Mandy, have had an unloader brace for the past 6 months. 4 months after my arthoscopy, I was still experiencing medial pain, especially while bowling. My OS had me get the brace for that reason since I did not want to give up bowling. I started out wearing it for bowling, long walks, and any exercise. I felt immediate relief when I wore it. Since I'm having more discomfort, my PA told me to start wearing it all day. At first it was a real nuisance. I was always in the restroom re adjusting it because it kept sliding down. Well, after a couple of days, I now can get it just right where it doesn't slide down anymore. It's amazing how good my knee feels when it is on. I wish I had started wearing it all the time sooner.

I was told that the brace is a good diagnostic tool to determine if the patient is a good candidate for an osteotomy. It changes the load balance of the knee like an osteotomy would do.  Since my knee bothers me quite a bit at night and keeps me up, I am scheduled for a high tibal osteotomy in mid-May.

- Mimi
Denver, CO
8/99 - ACL recon, pretty much trashed now with severe OA (RK)
3/07 - scoped and medial meniscectomy (removed 75%) (LK)
10/07 - Hyalonic injections,no relief, moderate OA in medial compartment (LK)
5/15/08 - HTO (LK)
8/6/09 - HTO Hardware Removal (LK)

Offline danthequaker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:51:28 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply and encouragement.
Again, I can't believe the diff. this thing can make in such a short time.  I'm hoping it lasts. ???????
I have no insurance and can't afford any surgery so this is the least expensive way to give some of my old life back to me.

I was always a great one for crossing my legs and it is aggravating that I can't cross my right leg anymore.   I'm thinking I will eventually get to where I will not be conscious of wearing the brace.  They say you grow used to anything in three days.  That might be true of dental work, but it's not working for the brace but I'm in no real discomfort, especially if I am up and about.  It seems to be most uncomfortable when I am sitting.

Yes, I was /am forever adjusting straps.  Glad to know that eventually one "figures it out"  ;D

Yest. I wore tight jeans and had to wear it on the outside.   It made it easier to make those adjustments.  (I wasn't heading off to the little boys room all the time.)    It was somewhat embarassing knowing I was so conspicuous and everyone was staring and asking (What's that thing)   But considering I've been hobbling around with a cane, at the age of 46, hey, I'll gladly trade the cane for the brace.

Would be glad to hear of anyone else's experience wearing one of these things.

Dan the Quaker

support