Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: arthofibrosis advice--doctor in DC area  (Read 939 times)

Offline EMC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
arthofibrosis advice--doctor in DC area
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:25:59 AM »
Hi,

I would love to hear from anyone who has an opinion about either DC doctors or arthofibrosis treatment. I had ACL surgery in February of '07 after tearing my ACL and MCL. I was unable to get past 5 or so degrees extension afterwards despite extensive physical therapy and was told I had arthofibrosis. My surgeon went back in to remove the scar tissue last May and put me in an extension cast for 5 days but it quickly went right back to the same 5 or so degree point and has stayed there ever since.  After that, my surgeon's advice was that we avoid doing anything invasive for a year to make sure the knee had calmed down and avoid inflaming it more. After a year, I'm finally back to the point where I'm running and playing sports regularly and as a result I'm really noticing how much the pain and stiffness is impacting me. I'm 33 and pretty athletic (in interest if not in skill :) and I don't want to give up on being active... So my questions are:

1) Does anyone know of a doctor that has experience dealing with arthofibrosis in the Washington DC (or northern Va/Maryland) area? My doctor has a great reputation but I don't think he's had many patients that have had this problem after surgery.

2) Has anyone had experience with viccosupplements? I tried a cortizone shot a few weeks ago and it actually really helped with the pain and stiffness but the effect only lasted a week. My doctor is now reccomending that I try viccosuppments as he thinks they might produce a similar but longer lasting effect. I tried to research them and have not been able to find much of a downside to it, other than the fact that they might not work. If anyone has had a bad experience with them though let me know as I'm cautious about doing anything that might make things worse. My doctor has also discussed another surgery to remove the scar tissue but suggested I try the shots first before going to the more invasive option...

Thanks for your time.

Offline Bruce23

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: arthofibrosis advice--doctor in DC area
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:34:43 AM »
Hey EMC,

Check out www.c-o-r.com.  They have 35 OSes and I am sure you can find one with expertise in what you need.  They seem to be pretty good and they work with athletes extensively.  Most OSes work with high school athletic teams in the area and some of them are/were team surgeons for professional teams such as DC United, Redskins, etc.  Hopefully they can help you.

You are still young and I am sure things can be done to help you get back to sports.
Martial arts accident 11/16/07
ACLr + Meniscus trim 4/24/08

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: arthofibrosis advice--doctor in DC area
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:54:11 AM »
EMC,

Team surgeons are not necessarily the way to go. You need a doctor who is known to have experience treating arthrofibrosis. Many doctors will never see a case of it the entire time they practice medicine. Here's a link to a list of doctors that have experience treating the condition:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/427

At this point the most important thing you can do is educate yourself on the condition. Here's a link to the Community Hub. Once you're there look for the "keynote" heading in the index along the right-hand side of the page. Click where it says 'arthrofibrosis'. You'll find a large collection of info on the subject.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/

Also, take a look down in the Rehab Scetion of the bulletin. Look for soft tissue healing-- arthrofibrosis. You will find thousands of posts there from people who have been through treatment for arthrofibrosis.

Take care,

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

support