Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondroplasty  (Read 1687 times)

Offline KidsandCritters

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Chondroplasty
« on: April 03, 2008, 03:01:16 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has had a Chondroplasty? I am supposed to have surgery on the 14th.  I say supposed to because the Hospital I was orginally schedule to have it done at closed today.  Go figure :o I am re-     scheduled on the 14th at a different hospital.  I don't have a time yet but I am hoping it will still happen. 
Anyway,  I have never heard of this b/4 and was wondering what the success rate was
Thank You!
<><

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Chondroplasty
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:45:14 AM »
I had it.   Let me say depends on how messed up your knee is.  They drill into your bones to get a blood clot and that produces a third rate cartlidge that should protect your exposed bone.  I was miserable for a whole year.  Mine surgery was just a bandaid.  The doctor told me right when I woke up.. my knee was too far gone and would need a TKR..   

wish you the best.   

Offline KidsandCritters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »
Oh,   Great Day !  I didn't want to hear that :o I should of also said he is going to do one or two plugs as well,  if there is not to much damage.  Did you have plugs too?  Anyone Anyone........  ok I'm starting to freak out a bit ::)
Tami
<><

Offline gemztait

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »
hi i had a chondroplasty in november, i had grade 2-3 damage (scale ranges from 0 which is normal to 4 which is bone on bone) recovery is a little frustrating as you have to be carefull about the pressure you put on the knee cap to allow enough time to heal!!but i am five months out and nearly compleatly normal, although the physio has still not cleared me to run i have just come bak from  weeks skiing, was a little sore but did not stop me!!!! i did have a lateral release at the same time also!!

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 09:59:38 PM »
Hi,
I have one early February along with a very extensive LOA and anterior interval release of too much scar tissue. The OS said I should be completely pain free when I walk again and my damage is grade 4, although it has no bone expose yet. So far I was on crutches for 6 weeks and just started weaning off them. I am in still in pain, but less pain than before. All that should subside once I get more muscle according to the Dr. Dr. Steaman did my surgery so I totally trust his opinion. But due to my scar tissue problems my pt is a very slow process...so it might take a little longer to get better than a person who doesn't have a scar tissue problem.  Hope this helps!

Offline KidsandCritters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:06:19 PM »
Oh thank you !  It does sound a bit better news,  but I am still a little freaked out ,  only because I didn't realise what I was getting my self into.........  did you have plugs too?  He said if the damage is not to sever he will put in 1 or 2 plugs....
Also can you tell me what all of the apprevations are.  Like TTT and so on.
Thank You
Tami
<><

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:19:53 PM »
I had one in September and have grade 3 lesion. At first it was very sore even raw feeling, but after some months, I find I am able to put more and more stress on it without pain. I do have some clicking in the area though I don't know if that is still due to needing more muscle built up or getting the knee to settle. I am glad to hear others success stories. Overall, I am very very pleased with the chondroplasty.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Shine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:34:55 AM »
Hi Tami,
I do not have plugs. He said if I want to run again I will probably need a microfracture. However, he thinks it maybe possible for me to run again with just the chondroplasty alone. I am not trying to scare you but I would make sure you go to a really good OS. I have all this damage to my knee at 31, because of a surgeon that messed up 1 year ago. He performed a brutal procedure called an MUA to break up scar tissue, which unfortunately tore all my cartiledge in my trochelar groove and behind my patella as well. If I could do it all over again, I would go see Dr. Steadman from the start. I would have never had all these problems. Dr. Steadman pretty much changed my quality of life with just one surgery. I was in less pain the day of surgery than I had been all year.  I am almost a full two months out and so much better off than I was before. Part of it is the scar tissue removal(I had alot in there) and the other part was him cleaning up all the mess in my cartliedge. Good luck with your surgery. Is this your first one?

Offline KidsandCritters

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »
Hi Sgandhi,

Thank you for your advise. The Dr I am using is a well known OS who specializes in sports medicine.  He has done many professional athletes. His specialty is  knees and shoulders.  So i think he is one of the best.

This is my 5th knee surgery on this knee.  In the past I had 3 torn meniscus and while doing one of the meniscus tears a piece of the bone about the size of a nickel just lifted off. Which was no fault of his,  just a fluke thing,  the original injury was from a car accident. 23 years ago.  All has been good since  then about 10 years since my last surgery.  Until a month ago.  I fell landing on my good knee cap and twisting the heck out of my bad knee.  Well I am praying my right knee will be able to handle all the weight.  for the next 4 to 6 weeks.  The MRI showed the inside of my left knee looks all jaggies    ^^^like this.  It looks like bone on bone,  So I hoping he will be able to make it smoother and put plugs in for cushion.
Tami
<><

support